Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: David Letterman showcase Fri Oct 20

Out of context is right....

iirc: A "Free" Block party attended by 20,000 + and a paid event in a controlled atmosphere....that's comparing apples and oranges!

I also said I'd bring my wife.... If we can find a babysitter... however, if we can't... My wife stays home with the baby...and I'm going out to support Paul whether my wife likes it or not!

Or is there an age that kids get in for free (with paid parents) consisdering a 2 year old wouldn't get the humor anyhow?
    Last edited by damontucker; October 1, 2006, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      Paul - Is this a parents use their own discretion event?
      Good question, Manoa.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      I would guess that the comics, knowing that they are shooting for an opportunity to appear on national network television, are likely to keep their material "safe" for that outlet.
      And good answer, Leo.

I can only imagine that the comics on the show would be doing their material safe for TV, since the network TV executive will be watching.

Now, that's not to say that everything you see on network TV is suitable for your kids, especially what you hear on late night television. (The humor even in prime time these days is way raunchier than it was back in the day.) So, it is all ages, but you should still exercise your parental discretion. After all, you are taking them to a nightclub and not to Rob E. Rodent's Pizza Parlor.

I hope to see you all there!

Comment

Pomai... I gonna pick up tickets tomorrow try let me know ASAP if you like me p/u pre-sale for you....buggahs are gonna be gone soon! 1stwahine..... I said this one on me.... you gonna be manoa's date? I not buying drinks though
        Anyone else like me pick up some pre-sale tickets tomorrow let me know...

Paul... what ... get any pull??? can reserve us a table somewhat close to the stage... as long as you no pull a gallagher.... if we get a group of 4 or more?

Any rate... look forward to trying to keep my food in my stomach for the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
          [...]Now, that's not to say that everything you see on network TV is suitable for your kids, especially what you hear on late night television. [...]
          I'll say. Did anyone see Lisa Lampanelli on the Tonight Show last night? First guest, Michael Clarke Duncan, walked off the stage...but did return awhile later. I love a good comedian(enne) but she was way over the top for me with the non-stop racial-sexual innuendos. Leno kept interjecting comments such as..."Well, so much for the Tonight Show."! Lampanelli makes Don Rickles seem like Mr. Rogers!

Comment

Ok Paul... you can talk dirty...

My wife will be home w/ my baby... however, I did p/u a Hot date for the night
            Just kidding honey... you know who i'm talking about

Comment

Pomai... still down to grind?

My date took off to Vegas for the weekend... so even if it's just you and your gf it's all g...

I'm down to support Paul by myself..... jdub... still in possibly?

Tutusue... you get the night off yet?

Anyone else that had interest??? I'm going even if it's me by myself

Comment

[...]Tutusue... you get the night off yet?[...]
                I'm up, down and on...for work, that is! Dayam! I was so ready for a good laugh but I have a casting session. Tell Paul I'm sending him a hug and tell him to 'break a leg'!

Comment

paul last night was fantastic. yoou were so funny picking on poor dave.!
                  life is ok sometimes

Comment

Hey Paul -

Didn't end up making it.... My Hot date for the evening ended up going to Vegas...

However, I did stay home and spend time with my wife and baby... which can be almost as funny.

I did get the pleasure of showing a few friends your myspace page with the videos you had...

Pomai... Thanks in advance for letting me know that you had some other things to do.... I know you would have loved to have gone.... I appreciate the fact that you never left me hanging and you understand that I too was busy...

Next time!!! Besides... I bet pipeline's food is terrible considering it's really known as just a "meat market"

But for those that are interested in seeing some videos of Paul performing....

You should just do a myspace search for Paul Ogata....

He's too funny.... I think I'm gonna start calling him Atago Luap (His Samoan name)

Comment

Soooo?? Who ended up gettin on Letterman??? give me the scoop

Comment

Next time!!! Besides... I bet pipeline's food is terrible considering it's really known as just a "meat market"
                        Wrong again...

Comment

So...staying on-topic, did anyone from HT attend? I hope Paul will return soon to describe his experiences; Kermet Apio told me he was just looking forward to the opportunity to get constructive comments from Letterman's booker.

Comment

Yea who made it like to andy Bumatai I meet him back when he first started 1974 I think. thanks Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              So...staying on-topic, did anyone from HT attend? I hope Paul will return soon to describe his experiences; Kermet Apio told me he was just looking forward to the opportunity to get constructive comments from Letterman's booker.
                              Paul killed, as always. Mel was another favorite. Andy was okay, but I've heard some of the material he did before.

Kermet didn't really impress me.

Oh, and the bar burgers at Pipeline are ONO.

On-topic enough for you?

Comment

Hey gang

Thanks for the comments, Palolo Joe!

The night went pretty well, I thought. Some comics were happy with their performances, others not so much. The Letterman booker sat everyone down individually after the show and gave feedback and critique. Again, some were happy with the debriefing, others not so much.

This wasn't a contest or a competition. Rather, it was a chance to be seen by a national television talent coordinator. There were some who were told flat-out that they weren't right for the show. I was pleased with what he had to share with me. He liked a lot of stuff, and other stuff he said needed work. The good news is that the stuff he liked was tried and true material, and the stuff that needed work was brand new material. Never even tested before. (You're never really supposed to do brand new material for a showcase like this, but then I'm an idiot. Sure, a ballsy idiot, but an idiot just the same.)

I will say this, when Mel Cabang went up, the Letterman guy told me he was laughing out loud the whole time. He put his pen down, stopped taking notes, and just sat back to enjoy.

When I did CBS's Late Late Show, I performed for that booker a few times before we set a date. I will work on the points that this guy brought up and I'm confident that the same process will unfold. I'm not saying to set your TiVo right away, but I am saying to start saving money to buy one.

Thanks for all your support!

Now, if you'll excuse me I have three weeks of LOST to catch up on.

Comment

Working...
                                X