Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 19 year old seeking a job

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    K-den...you got ukapila talents foa computers. You keep asking for ADVICE! Get going and DO something instead of sitting on your arse and dreaming.
    auntie: there's choke oda computer people out there that has more skills than me. I get one disadvantage because of my experience. Ever'one stay asking fo one BS degree or somet'ing lil dat - I only get one AS.

And I stay looking everywhere dat stay has open positions I like do for a while. If no more soon, den I go do somet'ing I no like, but den I scared I go hate it like da walmart job, den quit. By dat time, I gong have uka pila bills again, den I go stay back in square one.

(whoa, where'd I get that?)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Okay, whoever posted the hirenethawaii.com link, I thank you, because I applied for 2 computer tech jobs there.

Comment

Aye soos. I don't have time to go punchbowl tomorrow. I have two computer services to go to - one in waianae, and another in kailua. Sacrifices...

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
          Aye soos. I don't have time to go punchbowl tomorrow. I have two computer services to go to - one in waianae, and another in kailua. Sacrifices...
          Don't forget the flowers
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Shoot. I knew I had to go downtown, but forget for what.

That's it. The gloves are removed, and I'll make all efforts to go there this Tuesday (or Monday afternoon if they're open late).

Comment

What certifications do you have? If you don't have many, you won't have many offers (almost everyone has an A+ and Cisco nowadays). Any of the higher priced ones and you'll get more variety and pay. You do have have good experience though, and an A.S. is still good.

I forgot the title of the position, but there is ongoing hiring as a tech for Navy as a civilian. It's a student style temp job that pays around $12/hr. (I saw this about 2 yrs. ago so I may be way off) but once you're in, you may be asked to stay on board...if not...it's still great experience to add to your resume.

I 'think' it was through this site:
              http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

Try to get any state/c&c job. Once you're in, try to line yourself up for future open tech jobs. I do see them pop up once in a while.

Oh yeah:
              http://www.honolulupd.org/hrd/careers.htm

A while back, Pitney Bowes (www.pitneybowes.com) was hiring techs for their mailing systems (pretty cool equipment). W/your exp. you could probably land it if they are still hiring. I think I was offered
              $17/hr. starting (good benefits). Full time only, though.

OR

You could get a G.E. license and do tech. house calls (you can make good money just installing RAM if you get the right clientele...aka well off old folk...don't rip them off...but you are helping them out...and you can make up for it by giving them basic lessons in commonly used software as a freebie). Advertise your services via U.H. bulletin boards, word of mouth, friends, craigslist, etc. Bottom line, you gotta network (human) for this type of marketing (free or cheap). I have no clue if this is a problem for you or not.

If that doesn't bring in enough dough, supplement your income as either a waiter (in an upper-middle class priced restaurant...ex. Alan Wong's in Macy's Ala Moana...you can bank there, don't know if they are hiring but you get the idea). Or be an assistant in the building industry. No exp. necessary for the building trade, most require a driver's license...but you will sweat. The pay, however, can be great (and many times, in cash). It all depends what company you work for.

If money is a major problem, try to get in a trade union. Take their apprenticeship program (ex. Plumbers and Pipefitters Union or Carpenters). Finish the training, fullfill your obligations (9 yrs. I beleive), while making some serious bank, then get your B.S. in C.S.

By-by bills...and you'll be cut up like Hans

Only suggestions, now, not trying to dictate here
              Last edited by DKP; August 6, 2007, 10:23 PM. Reason: I edit every post. It's becoming my thing.
              Sing with me, everyone!
              "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
              like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
              The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
              http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                You could get a G.E. license and do tech. house calls (you can make good money just installing RAM if you get the right clientele...aka well off old folk...don't rip them off...but you are helping them out...and you can make up for it by giving them basic lessons in commonly used software as a freebie). Advertise your services via U.H. bulletin boards, word of mouth, friends, craigslist, etc. Bottom line, you gotta network (human) for this type of marketing (free or cheap). I have no clue if this is a problem for you or not.
                Unless I can stop the creditors from taking my car, then I'll be the "computer tech who takes the bus!"

I applied for a position as a Courtesy Clerk at Daiei. I'd go back to walmart if it didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth (I haven't stepped into a walmart for almost a month) as well as gave my resume to choke cell phone places. Too bad Zippys' online job application isn't working, or else I'd go there.

(and I know they're just "small jobs", but I submitted an application/resume to just about every computer place accessible via TheBus) [okay, not every computer place - SuperGeeks will probably have my head for working for someone who uses the word 'geeks'.

Comment

I've worked for Zippy's before (Kapahulu Napoleon's). Depending where you work (cool managers, co-workers, etc.), it can be great. You should get raises frequently, and the benefits are good. They may even be able to help you with tuition if you decide to pursue a bachelor's.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Just a small tip that always landed me a job EVERY time. In addition to what you did with your resume/application, try to find out the contact info. for the person who would be your manager if you got the job. Either email them a cover letter style explanation of what you want to do in life, how this job will help you get there, and what you would do for them in exchange (explaining how you would benefit the company and make them more profitable).

Since you have sales experience, tell them something along the lines of how your genuine customer service experience could directly translate into more clientele for the company (friends telling friends about you). Honestly, when I was doing sales, I wouldn't focus on selling to the person, but making the person feel good. I learned that so many things could f-up someone's day, and most likely, one of those things already happened to at least a few of your customers. If you become the 'anti-depressant' to them, they will come back, or at least possibly tell their friends about how you cheered them up. Repeat customers are gold to every business.

I was more a bartender (the chill kine) than a salesperson...and I meant every word of what I said to my clients (more happy people around me = a more happy me anyway). My sales and commission were pretty damn good too (but I don't really care about status or money, I care more about having free time, so that was just a bonus). The reason I don't do sales anymore after 5 years of it is because I see a critical point in our native ecosystems' survival and manpower is what is needed to save them...and I'm down to bust my a**
                  Last edited by DKP; August 7, 2007, 06:51 PM. Reason: CUZ I LIKE...WHY!?!
                  Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Oh, I forgot. You can make bank selling cell phones at Radio Shack. It's pretty easy and the benefits are good. They reward motivated sellers in other ways too.

BTW, you probably already know this, but start a 401k asap if you haven't already. I really don't know what that state of social security will be when you're ready to retire.
                    Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                      Oh, I forgot. You can make bank selling cell phones at Radio Shack. It's pretty easy and the benefits are good. They reward motivated sellers in other ways too.
                      I think I applied there within in the last couple of weeks.

Comment

I think I applied there within in the last couple of weeks.
                        Adrian, if you're serious about finding work, you have to keep track of this stuff, especially since a lot of places wait for you to call back after a certain amount of time. If you are truly interested in working at a certain place, call back about a week or ten days after you file the application or send the resume. Say, "My name is ________ and I applied for a job on ___________ and am calling to check on the status of that application."

I was once given a job over fifty other applicants (when I was 19, in a field I had no experience with) because I did this. The owner happened to be in when I called, and he was impressed enough that I got a second interview immediately, this time with the owner.

Some places don't like it when you call back ("don't call us -- we'll call you!") and once I was actually chewed out for calling back, but you don't want to work for people who'll do that anyway, so it was good to find that out early.

Anyway, I've tried to keep out of this because you're getting advice from all sides from a million people who have been where you are, but I cannot stress enough the benefit of keeping track of all your applications and resumes. I consider this an absolute must-do.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

auntie: there's choke oda computer people out there that has more skills than me. I get one disadvantage because of my experience. Ever'one stay asking fo one BS degree or somet'ing lil dat - I only get one AS.

And I stay looking everywhere dat stay has open positions I like do for a while. If no more soon, den I go do somet'ing I no like, but den I scared I go hate it like da walmart job, den quit. By dat time, I gong have uka pila bills again, den I go stay back in square one.

(whoa, where'd I get that?)
                          Adrian, Mahalo for starting this thread. When I posted my comment to you, I was actually posting it also to me. Reading the advices on this thread gave me the push I needed. I got off my Arse and called Social Security. They have a Ticket to Work Program for those who want be be self sufficient again. They pay for clients to be retrained, schooled, etc. and then pay part of the wages as an incentive for employers to hire them. My orientation is on August 20th. I'm excited. I found my certificate of completion from The University of Hawaii Community Colleges ~ Administration and Technology ~ 646.25 Hours.

Yes, Adrian...Life is not easy. There are obstacles. Remember with each step backwards take two steps forward. You'll make it! Be persistent! Never lose sight of your DREAM!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Adrian...you're young, single and probably still have the safe haven of your parents. In other words now is the time to sample different career types before the heavy debt scene falls on you (mortgage, rent, utilities, kids)

When you're young you want everything now, good home, good car, cool gadgets, nice job. That will all come but in most cases you have to earn it. Heck some people twice your age are still trying to find those materialistic wants.

Some of my friends spent their paychecks on souping up their cars, while other friends drove pieces of junk but saved and invested what little they earned.

Now some of my friends drive beat up looking souped up cars while others are living in nice homes driving BMW's with money in the bank. Get the picture?

When you get to be my age (47) you're at that point where you're staring down the barrel of retirement. For some of my friends, that shotgun went off already and they're struggling just stay afloat after their financial mistakes made during their 20's. Others are relaxing in early retirement and looking forward for that monetary windfall come age 62 when the pensions, IRA's, 401's and what's left of social security kicks in not to mention the cheap coffee at McDonalds

Remember it's easier to work harder when you're younger than older. But it's wiser to work smarter when you're younger so that intelligence will pay off when that noggin starts to fail in your elder years.
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 9, 2007, 11:07 AM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Adrian - listen to what CW said, just above. He knows of what he speaks. It's easier to try different things now than thirty years from now; I'm in a major career course correction myself at age 49. There's a lot I'm likely to give up in order to get what I want now (salary vs. satisfaction.)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Adrian...you're young, single and probably still have the safe haven of your parents. In other words now is the time to sample different career types before the heavy debt scene falls on you (mortgage, rent, utilities, kids)
                                Well, I want to avoid working in a labor intensive job like what I did at walmart, or else I'll just quit in a few months like what I did.

I applied for some sales positions, as I'm getting comfortable talking to strangers, but I'm still a bit nervous at talking to people/leaving messages on the phone.

And of course, its hard to change my resume to meet the job description of other careers because of my limited experience, so that's something I'm facing right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X