Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 19 year old seeking a job

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    [...]Others are relaxing in early retirement and looking forward for that monetary windfall come age 62 when the pensions, IRA's, 401's and what's left of social security kicks in not to mention the cheap coffee at McDonalds[...]
    Good news, Craig. The McD cheap coffee kicks in at 55. Ditto for JitB and BK. Even Ross'(s?!!!) has senior discounts on Tuesdays for the 55+ set!

I was "carded" at McD's once (yes, only once...waaaaah!). It was the best day of my over 55 life!

Adrian...Craig's given you some great advice. There's nothing wrong with a 'labor intensive' job, esp. if it helps to pay off your car. Would you rather work hard or meet the repo man then have your credit affected for 7 or so years?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Adrian...Craig's given you some great advice. There's nothing wrong with a 'labor intensive' job, esp. if it helps to pay off your car. Would you rather work hard or meet the repo man then have your credit affected for 7 or so years?
      As I found out, my body can't handle labor jobs that long. On that last day, I sat in my car for a good 15 minutes just trying to get every muscle back and drive myself home.

If I do a labor intensive job now, then I might not make it to the bus stop.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Adrian:
        You are not "entitled" to a soft, cushy job! When you are in dire financial straits, you do whatever it takes to make money to pay your own way. You're very very lucky that you still live with your parents. That alone is saving you at least $700-800/month. If you had no parents to fall back on, how would you survive?

Like Craig says, when you're young (in your 20s), it's OK to work at a lot of different jobs so that you can eliminate the jobs you don't want as permanent career possibilities. But by the time you're in your 30s, you'd better have gotten that wanderlust out of your system, because 40 will come soon enough, and by then you really have to start worrying about making enough money for your retirement (although retirement planning should start when you're in your 20s).

I worked at some pretty crappy jobs when I was younger and managed to save enough so that now I can be picky about the jobs I'm willing to take. But at your age, you can't afford to be picky. So just get out there and pay your dues.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The McD cheap coffee kicks in at 55.
          I had no idea that there was cheap coffee in my future! (Not near future, but it's out there.) I always thought seniors went to McD's because they wouldn't kick them out if they wanted to spend hours talking over one cup of coffee! Is this just an unspoken secret, passed along in the pages of AARP Magazine?

How do you order that, anyway? "I'll take an Egg McMuffin and a senior coffee."

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
            [...]How do you order that, anyway? "I'll take an Egg McMuffin and a senior coffee."
            Exactly! Or, in my case, "I'll have a side salad and one senior Diet Coke."! Seniors aren't tethered to coffee.

I can't remember how I heard about the discount but I'm pretty sure it was word of mouth and not AARP!!! I'd not heard of any discounts at JitB and BK when, lo and behold, I asked for a senior DC I got one.

This aging thing isn't all that bad! Really!!!

Comment

I can't remember how I heard about the discount but I'm pretty sure it was word of mouth and not AARP!!!
              I'm gonna guess that you heard about it the same way I did -- Panther's Tales!
              Right?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                I'm gonna guess that you heard about it the same way I did -- Panther's Tales!
                Right?
                Nope! I've not read Panther's tales. However, you just tickled my brain. I either heard it directly from him or by him on soc.culture.hawaii. It's definitely Panther related!

Comment

Adrian, with your education, I keep hoping that you'll find a tech job you'll like. Assuming you're not tired of computers.

There's got to be jobs out there. Keep trying. Something will turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Adrian, with your education, I keep hoping that you'll find a tech job you'll like. Assuming you're not tired of computers.

There's got to be jobs out there. Keep trying. Something will turn up.
                    You think someone who is tired of computers would have the license plate "ALT-F4"?

I'm wondering who'll hire a geek in a non-computer position since the only non-computer item on my resume is the walmart job.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                      [...]I'm wondering who'll hire a geek in a non-computer position since the only non-computer item on my resume is the walmart job.
                      Last I heard the unemployment level is quite low. There must be many entry level jobs that don't require experience. Go for the on the job training.

Comment

Last I heard the unemployment level is quite low. There must be many entry level jobs that don't require experience. Go for the on the job training.
                        Agree. This article in the Advertiser discusses one of my favorite restaurants and the difficulties the chef/owner is having getting entry-level workers for his kitchen. I've seen him hire some of my students (his son was also one of my students) while they were in school and now it looks like a career in this field might be in their futures. I figure whatever he's paying in wages is only part of what you really get out of working in a place like this.

I'm not saying you should check it out, Adrian, but I am saying that if your mind is open, you never know what you could end up with.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well the military is still looking for a few good men and women.

The military taught me how to be a leader as I was a very introverted person in High School. That boost in self confidence helped me decide what I wanted to do when I was still young enough to try. It's actually easier now than it was a few decades ago to find a good job with computerized job search engines such as CareerBuilders.com and others.

Adrian if I were you I'd go back to school and get a degree in Business Administration with an emphasis on Labor Relations. I think that's about the best degree out there if you want a managerial type job with leadership goals. Go for a standard four year degree in a Sociology field then a Masters in Biz Ad. Do it while you're young, find a job in the retail sector and move up to a management position then once you have both the degree and experience in place make the move into a company looking for both.

You can do this as a 20-year old and become successful by the time you're in your late 20's. At that point slow down and raise your family, buy a house and then watch all that hard work pay for itself.

While in your 20's invest some of that kala. I would fore go buying a home now as prices are still high. Wait for the foreclosures to hit the market (and they will), buy pennies on the dollar on a good foreclosed home and wait for the next real estate wave (this is the third I've been tracking since the early 80's). Don't let the lower interest rates intice you. When the prices of homes drop the interest rates typically rise. That's okay. Buy low cost real estate with high interest rates, then when the next wave hits and interest rates drop to encourage home ownership, you refinance your higher interest first mortgage with a refi and take advantage of the lower rates.

With all the equity build up from the booming market, you'll have money up the ying yang to invest.

Remember you can renegotiate a higher interest rate mortgage but you cannot renegotiate a lower principal cost on your home.

Oops sorry I'm getting ahead of myself but that's how you get successful to the point of early retirement before you hit 62.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Well the military is still looking for a few good men and women.
                            That's what my dad told me once. Something along the lines of "If things don't work out, the Air Force takes care of it's own."

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                              You think someone who is tired of computers would have the license plate "ALT-F4"?
                              I know of a guy with a website "beyond F1".

Comment

http://www.wwoof.org/

Get a backpack and a plane ticket to anywhere and work on farms with a variety of people from all over as a WWOOFie (it started out as 'working weekends on organic farms). Spend a year or so doing that and you'll be richer for it.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X