Pidgin Lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pidgin Lessons

Kimo55... wut? u wen help rit dis artikle?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060705/...us/simpl_wurdz

Manoa?

Comment

no comment.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Ahhh.. excuse me. Wat dis thread bout? Pidgin

Can turn it on. Can turn it off.

It depends where one is at. In the real world...you can't get a job talking nor writing "Pidgin!" Yet, it's a part of me...I would never give up. It is who I am. A proud Local Wahine from the Islands I love and cherish ~ Hawaii nei!

Pidgin? Wat badda you? Don't let it!

Auntie Lynn
        Where can you find some audio of common pidgin phrases ? Pidgin is very cool stuff. My wife is from Brasil and I can truly appreciate local culture and it's slang. Lived in Oahu for only 3 months but soaked up plenny culcha.

Comment

Hmm... audio samples? I'm sure pidgin conversations have been recorded for scholarly, linguistic purposes, but I gotta say, the first thing that pops into my mind is Rap Reiplinger. After a couple of listens through "The Best of Rap," even I think I can speak pidgin. ("Russell! You get pen?")

To learn more, though, there's always books. Lee Tonouchi recently put out a decent contemporary pidgin reference, "Da Kine Dictionary." We picked up a copy at Costco. Still, you can't forget the classic, "Pidgin to the Max." Of course, for a more academic view, there's "Pidgin Grammar" by a language instructor at UH. (Did you know there was a "Center for Pidgin, Creole and Dialect Studies"?)

Comment

Originally posted by willywhit
            Where can you find some audio of common pidgin phrases ? Pidgin is very cool stuff. My wife is from Brasil and I can truly appreciate local culture and it's slang. Lived in Oahu for only 3 months but soaked up plenny culcha.
            Get plenny kine books lidat out there. One called "Pidgin to da Max" and one followup among others. Google "books about Hawaiian pidgin" and you come up wit some moa.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Russow. you GET PEnnn!?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                After a couple of listens through "The Best of Rap,"
                Is it too late for the screen name Johnny Okole?

Comment

Has anybody ever subtitled using pidgin to explain English ?
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

sure as heyall hope not pardnuh.

Comment

Originally posted by willywhit
                      Look for any of K.K.Kaumanua's (aka Ken Bowman) recording and you will get an understanding of pidgin.

Comment

Hoo, brah! So far less den 10 percent of da comments hea stay focused on the topic which is Melanesian Pidgin. How you going ack? You tink you know sumten but you nevah stop fo ask — Eh, maybe da bruddah already knows Hawai‘i Pidgin, and he trying fo compare da differences wit Melanesia ... so maybe I should try listen instead of wala‘au all da time. ‘Auwe no ho‘i!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Hmm... audio samples? I'm sure pidgin conversations have been recorded for scholarly, linguistic purposes, but I gotta say, the first thing that pops into my mind is Rap Reiplinger. After a couple of listens through "The Best of Rap," even I think I can speak pidgin. ("Russell! You get pen?")

To learn more, though, there's always books. Lee Tonouchi recently put out a decent contemporary pidgin reference, "Da Kine Dictionary." We picked up a copy at Costco. Still, you can't forget the classic, "Pidgin to the Max." Of course, for a more academic view, there's "Pidgin Grammar" by a language instructor at UH. (Did you know there was a "Center for Pidgin, Creole and Dialect Studies"?)
                          Great stuff, mahalo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
                            "Pidgins" and "dialects" are pretty different animals. A "pidgin" is a new language developed from two or more languages, while a dialect is simply a regional variation of a standard language. When a "pidgin" acquires a community of native speakers, it becomes a "Creole language." Thus, "Pidgin" in Hawai'i, "Tok Pisin" in the PNG and "Patwa" in Jamaica are technically "Creole languages", not "pidgins."

In the case of "Chinese", Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, etc., they are probably different enough from each other as to be considered separate languages, rather than dialects of a single language.
                            Well, all the Chinese people (if they're literate, of course), no matter whether they speak Mandarin or Cantonese can read the same books. The writing is 100% the same, the Characters and their meaning are, and the grammar. But not the sound!! So if you are from Beijing and go to Hongkong, you will have a really hard time understanding anything people say. You can still read everything and understand it... advertisements, itineraries, menues.. So in a way, they are totally different, but the Chinese' s culture has been based on writing for thousands of years. The phonology has developed, but the writing is basically the same (besides the simplification of the characters in the cultural revolution -which makes it hard to derive sometimes ethymologically For instance: Old:馬 New: 马). So I think the Chinese languages are (unintelligable) dialects of a single language. It's like somebody from northern Germany not being able to understand a Swiss guy cause da guy talk so cute and funny!! And believe me, it is a strong dialect! Still get da same books.. One language

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              Has anybody ever subtitled using pidgin to explain English ?
                              Ho brah, you tube barack obama speaking pidgin. es one buggah make good fun li dat, comedian kine.
                              "MahAloHawaii"
                              xbox gamertag Top Shotta Fry

Comment

Working...
                              X