Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ala Moana Hotel info

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    You are so right! Thirty years ago, I met my late husband @ Hawaiian Hut on a Friday Night. We got married that Monday[....]
    You are one brave auntie! Whatta story! More details please!

BTW...Ala Moana Hotel, due to the holiday week-end, had only $200+/night rooms available. Oh well!

Has anyone stayed at the Pagoda Hotel recently?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      I met my late husband ... on a Friday Night. We got married that Monday and were married twenty years.
      I never tire of hearing that part of your story, Lynn.

Comment

I would agree that Ala Moana Hotel is safe place. I too used to frequent Rumours on Friday nights, it's "Big Chill Night" and free pupus until 8:00pm. You guys can also mosey on over to the Mai Tai Bar at the Center and enjoy their good evening music.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Yeah, me.

If anyone reads my Blog. Dey know the reason why.

MWH is RED ZONE!!!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The following article may back up my seedy side of things aspect.

For some residents, noise is just one of the drawbacks to having businesses such as Club Rock-Za, Club Femme Nu and the Wild Horse Showroom as your neighbors.

Adult-oriented businesses are only part of the problem, said John Breinich, chairman of the Ala Moana/Kakaako Neighborhood Board. He says the average bar or karaoke club also contributes to other problems facing his neighborhood.

"The bars produce noise, traffic problems, crime, prostitution, gambling," said Breinich, "and our district has more of these places than any other place on the island."

He called the mayor's plan for ridding the district of adult-oriented businesses a good first-step toward making the neighborhood more congenial....
            http://starbulletin.com/2001/04/15/news/story8.html

Comment

I stayed there in June and the room was very nice, with modern decor, a flatscreen tv, and a mountain view balcony. I believe the room was $100. The lobby and common areas are outdated and ugly, but not a dealbreaker by any means. We walked over to Jazz Arts and Minds club and passed by some seedy elements on the way, but I never felt unsafe. A cab ride to Waikiki is only $5 so that's another option if she doesn't feel like walking around.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                The following article may back up my seedy side of things aspect.

http://starbulletin.com/2001/04/15/news/story8.html
                I'd like to think that the Ala Moana community has improved in the FIVE YEARS since that article was posted.

I used to work in the Ala Moana/Kakaako area and never felt threatened by any of the establishments there, therefore I fail to see the rationale behind painting that neighborhood with the same seedy brush mentioned in that article.

I get tired of people putting down communities and neighborhoods, especially those that really want to improve.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Lei -

I live just around the corner...and It's sad to see..... but it actually has gotten worst since the article was written. I've lived in the area since 1999.

There is a vacant parcel of land behind hardrock cafe that has literally turned into a haven for drug dealers, Bicycle thiefs, and in general people that I would not trust.

Comment

No thanks.

Comment

My mom would always stay at the Ala Moana when she would visit. But after the renovation, she's pretty much washed her hands of the place. Outrageous prices for very small and cramped rooms. A total sham, if you ask me. The restaurant has severely limited hours, and the place as a whole has lost its local feel.

What a waste of a great hotel. I loved the piano lounge in the lobby.

She stays at the Ilikai now. Which isn't any cheaper, but the rooms are enormous. It's pretty much a matter of principle at this point.

Comment

have you checked resort quest @ hawaiian waikik beach? or i think that's wht they were called before. really nice rooms and the prices are not bad, its close to the zoo.

Comment

They have some...ahem...very entertaining channels on the TV.

Comment

Not me but my dad did stay a couple of days this past June at the Pagoda Hotel. He didn't mention anything bad with the room.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                              They have some...ahem...very entertaining channels on the TV.
                              Which hotel? Maybe I'll stay there!
                              (j/k)

Comment

When we were in Waikiki we stayed at the Aqua Aloha Surf hotel. It's pretty basic, but the people were nice, free breakfast brought to your room each morning, free internet access, and right by the Ala Wai for free parking. I was able to get it through Orbitz for about $85-$90 a night too, not sure of the exact amount since a car was part of the package.

We were moved over to the Sheraton Princess Ka'iulani for the last two nights because of my wife's job conference (the reason we were technically there at all) and I have to say.. you don't always get more for more money. Bigger room, but no free internet, bad view, and I felt way out of place. Cheap though, on student rates

Comment

Working...
                                X