Want to make duplicate VHS tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to make duplicate VHS tapes

Ummm...I think I'm getting all you Kona HTers mixed up. My bad...my apologies! SouthKona isn't Aaron...duh! Regardless SouthKona, the transfer offer still stands!!!

Comment

I made the same mistake too...tutu

However southkona... the love still goes out to you...
      Last edited by damontucker; October 23, 2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Ummm...I think I'm getting all you Kona HTers mixed up. My bad...my apologies! SouthKona isn't Aaron...duh! Regardless SouthKona, the transfer offer still stands!!!
        Thank you everyone for continuing to help me with this irritation caused by a vendor who DID NOT mention anything about "copywriting" the VHS tape at the time of services. Now, years later, they've gone out of business. (No wonder!)
        And, yes .... or is that no.... I'm not Aaron.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
          Thank you everyone for continuing to help me with this irritation caused by a vendor who DID NOT mention anything about "copywriting" the VHS tape at the time of services. Now, years later, they've gone out of business. (No wonder!)
          Well, to sum up thus far...
          > consider having the original films transferred to DVD, adding in the narrative audio track off the VHS copy; it will not be difficult to get the audio track, as the copy-protection won't affect it, or -
          > many pro shops CAN make duplicates off copy-protected media (people do it at home all the time), but they won't promote their ability to do so, as they don't wish to run afoul of copyright laws; but if you can convince them that you are the legal owner of the material, they may be willing to go from VHS to DVD for you - but again, you'll get better quality if you go from the original source films to DVD.

Comment

will you still get better quality if the film is old and degraded? you might get better quality off the vhs if the film is too old.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Well, to sum up thus far...[...]
              LL, I don't think we're sure yet whether SouthKona's VHS tape is, in fact, encrypted with copy protection or if there is just a warning sticker on the tape. Hopefully it's the latter, in which case I can help him. If it's the former, Video Lab can help him as his family owns the 'copyright'...not the company that did the original transfer. So, there's an easy work-around for SK but I can sure understand his frustration over the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                will you still get better quality if the film is old and degraded?[...]
                I had 40+ year old 8mm home movies transferred to DVD last month. Some of the reels had degraded terribly...and that's exactly how they look on DVD! Ya get whatya got!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I had 40+ year old 8mm home movies transferred to DVD last month. Some of the reels had degraded terribly...and that's exactly how they look on DVD! Ya get whatya got!
                  and once again... I know we have gone over this before tutu...

however, were they "Pressed" to DVD... or were they BURNED to DVD.

If these 40+ year old 8mm home movies lasted so long... you do realize that the time and money spent "Burning" them to DVD will need to be done again in about 5 -10 years as the "BURNT" DVD's will not last as long as the 8mm tapes will.

I sure hope your keeping all the tapes even after they have been "Burnt" to DVD... otherwise when you go to play these DVD's in say 10 years...you might be quite disappointed.

Burnt DVD's only have a shelf life of 5-10 years.... NUFF Said.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                    will you still get better quality if the film is old and degraded? you might get better quality off the vhs if the film is too old.
                    Good point; depends on how bad it is, what kind of degredation, and how much restoration you want to pay for. If these are the only films in existence of great-grandma and her sisters, they are probably more valuable than if they are of Cousin Lulu's 1987 vist to Wall Drug.

(I say "probably," cause that Wall Drug trip may have been the biggest family event in sixty years...)

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                      and once again... I know we have gone over this before tutu...[...]Burnt DVD's only have a shelf life of 5-10 years.... NUFF Said.
                      Yep...we have gone over this a few times. At the risk of redundancy...If it's important, in addition to the DVD I back up to VHS and miniDV (or have Video Lab do it) and those tapes go into climate controlled storage.

Comment

Working...
                      X