Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A young adult looking for a job

Originally posted by 808_m3
    You might want to think about getting at least your driver's license. Since you are considering entering the computer technical field, you may find yourself having to visit clients in other towns.

Otherwise, I think you may be limiting your job options. You could apply for a PC computer tech fixing boxes all day, but it may not be as challenging as visiting clients. Also, I would think computer consulting establishments love client visits, since they can charge a lot of money.
    I don't think I'll be driving anytime soon, because I'll be the only person in a car for 95% of the time I'm on the road, and I told myself unless I'll be carpooling w/ people in a compact car (I don't think my parents will let me drive the van and truck, and I'm pretty bad reversing in a big vehicle), and I'll need a job first to pay for the car and insurance. Finally, I put in too much time into memorizing all of the bus stops and what routes stop there, so I'll be having a hard time to forget all of those info.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
      I put in too much time into memorizing all of the bus stops and what routes stop there, so I'll be having a hard time to forget all of those info.
      hey, donchew worry nun. Just give that last sentence, verbatim, to yer next prospective employer and you will be swept up in a moment; they will be overjoyed to have a mind such as this under their employ.

Comment

Well, I wish you the best of luck in your job search, but I admit I found your last sentence unusual...

You would rather sacrifice a potentially rewarding job oppurtunity, which may require driving, because you don't want to forget the bus routes?

You seem to have a good aptitude with technology. You certainly have potential to be successful in the field. However, if you limit your options, you'll be finding yourself going no where fast.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
          Well, I wish you the best of luck in your job search, but I admit I found your last sentence unusual...

You would rather sacrifice a potentially rewarding job oppurtunity, which may require driving, because you don't want to forget the bus routes?

You seem to have a good aptitude with technology. You certainly have potential to be successful in the field. However, if you limit your options, you'll be finding yourself going no where fast.
          I practically fit TheBus into my life, so I can literally walk out of school or the mall, go to the bus stop, and expect the bus to be there in the next few minutes.

Plus, I don't have to deal with parking, worrying about my car while in school or at the mall, and a parking space at home.

Comment

well, that does it for me. I'm convinced...
            "hire a teenager... while they still know everything"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              well, that does it for me. I'm convinced...
              "hire a teenager... while they still know everything"
              Actually, I'll be 20 this Sept (hey, gotta support my roots!)

Comment

I just got off the phone from someone who was looking for a computer technician but he was looking for someone who had experience with laptops and soldering (which I don't have). But he was interested in my resume, so he mentioned that he'll have a job opening for an assistant technician (who'll prepare the computer for repairs [virus removal, dust removal, etc]) in 2 months and he'll hopefully call me for that Saturday position.

I can almost smell it.

Comment

Congrats to you on perhaps a potential job oppurtunity for that company.

During the two month wait, you might want to check in with him every once in awhile to make him know that you are interested in the job. I wouldn't call too often, but at least make sure that you are in his radar.

I maybe bit of a cynic, but if someone told me that, I wonder if he was just saying, in a nice way, that you don't have the qualifications for the job and they will keep looking for someone else. I suppose you won't know this until you talk to him the next time during the next few weeks.

Anyway, best of luck with that, and, I wouldn't smell those solder vapors...that's some pretty toxic stuff...

Comment

Ditto to what 808 said above. Also, don't stop looking for other opportunities. Would be nice if you had a couple of things lined up so you could choose the best deal. And I thought you wanted more than one day of work?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Ditto to what 808 said above. Also, don't stop looking for other opportunities. Would be nice if you had a couple of things lined up so you could choose the best deal. And I thought you wanted more than one day of work?

Miulang
                      Its a start, even though its an assistant position.

Of course I'll be applying for more jobs, but I also need balance my school and work at home.

Ho, da stress is coming now!

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                        Its a start, even though its an assistant position.

Of course I'll be applying for more jobs, but I also need balance my school and work at home.

Ho, da stress is coming now!
                        No sense stress out now, you don't have a job yet! In the meantime, concentrate on your studies. You going grad the end of this year or what?

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          No sense stress out now, you don't have a job yet! In the meantime, concentrate on your studies. You going grad the end of this year or what?

Miulang
                          I'll grad next year (I was supposed to have 4 classes this quarter, but it was dropped for some reason, forcing me to take one class in my final quarter)

Comment

I knew I made a thread here.

As most of you know, I'm licensed to drive, so hopefully this will open a few more doors.

I'm just looking for a job working with computers, possibly helping someone (being their assistant or something). I just need to get back with working with computers and get my mind refreshed. Other jobs are acceptable, but I want to start off small and work my way up.

Here's my resume

Comment

Hey Adrian
                              I'm also in the process of looking for a job and I feel your pain pretty much have the whole resume editing thing down to a science (i think ) At least...when i brought my resume in to get checked they had nothing to change hehehe. If you send me your resume as word doc I can help you edit it in my free time.

Comment

Working...
                              X