This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-page, full-color ad in the Star Bulletin

I won a gift certificate for a full-page (78 column inches), full-color advertisement in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin worth $4,500 ($4,712.04 including tax). I have no use for it so I’m trying to see if anyone that has a business or business contacts will buy it from me. I am willing to take $2,000 for it – a savings of over 50% for the buyer.

It's valid until November 15, 2010. Political advertising is subject to review and approval by Oahu Publications.

PM me if you're interested.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Full-page, full-color ad in the Star Bulletin

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
    I won a gift certificate for a full-page (78 column inches), full-color advertisement in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin worth $4,500 ($4,712.04 including tax). I have no use for it so I’m trying to see if anyone that has a business or business contacts will buy it from me. I am willing to take $2,000 for it – a savings of over 50% for the buyer.

It's valid until November 15, 2010. Political advertising is subject to review and approval by Oahu Publications.

PM me if you're interested.
    Donate it to charity and take the tax write off!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Donate it to charity and take the tax write off!
      wonderful idea! I work for a 501(c)(3) hint hint
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        wonderful idea! I work for a 501(c)(3) hint hint
        Hey, so do I! The one I run is called Uncle LikaNui's Home For Wayward Girls. It's a recovery center for nymphomaniacs.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Hey, so do I! The one I run is called Uncle LikaNui's Home For Wayward Girls. It's a recovery center for nymphomaniacs.

Haha...I'm trying to make up a clever quip about withdrawals, but I'm still laughing at your post.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

HT's Kalona and Auntie Lynn each have a 501(c)(3). They're always helping each other. I wonder if they could split the ad half-half should KD decide to donate it. Nuthin' like brain-storming on how to get rid of KD's ad for her!

Comment

Home For Wayward Girls. It's a recovery center for nymphomaniacs..
              Without trying to pick a fight here, I still feel the need to point out that making jokes about "girls" (ie children!) and sex is sadly inappropriate.

Back on topic, check with the newspaper on what would be the regular ad rate for a non-profit, because there is usually a hefty discount rate for them. That is potentially even more bang for the buck (meaning the monetary worth of the donation if given to a charity or non-profit).
              Last edited by Amati; December 29, 2009, 11:19 PM.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                HT's Kalona and Auntie Lynn each have a 501(c)(3). They're always helping each other. I wonder if they could split the ad half-half should KD decide to donate it. Nuthin' like brain-storming on how to get rid of KD's ad for her!
                A most excellent suggestion, Tutu!!!

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                Without trying to pick a fight here, I still feel the need to point out that making jokes about "girls" (ie children!) and sex is sadly inappropriate.
                Agreed, though of course the joke was never about "children"! If it was, it would have said "children," which it clearly didn't.
                The joke was aimed at "girls" who are of legal age.
                And the term "girls" does NOT necessarily mean children, as you imply. To those of us of a certain age, anyone younger than us is called a girl or a boy, even if they're in their 20s or 30s.
                Sheesh. This is like the way Letterman was misinterpreted for his joke about Sarah Palin's daughter.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I think we need to be careful here not to peer-pressure someone who has listed something in the SELLING forum into giving the item away. I agree that the initial suggestion is a good idea, especially if the seller hasn't considered that option, but the responses are piling on so quickly that it puts the seller in an awkward position. It seems tacky when someone says, "I'm selling this," to respond with, "Why don't you give it away to a worthy cause instead?" If you're so concerned about the worthy causes, why not make an offer on the item and donate it yourself? Or how about starting a new thread and getting HTers to chip in until the asking price is reached?
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh Scriv...lighten up a bit! Peer pressure? I perceive way more exchange of ideas/humor/tongue-in-cheekiness than peer pressure. It appears you and I perceive this thread completely different.

Peer pressure?

Comment

A most excellent suggestion, Tutu!!!

Agreed, though of course the joke was never about "children"! If it was, it would have said "children," which it clearly didn't.
                      The joke was aimed at "girls" who are of legal age.
                      And the term "girls" does NOT necessarily mean children, as you imply. To those of us of a certain age, anyone younger than us is called a girl or a boy, even if they're in their 20s or 30s.
                      Sheesh. This is like the way Letterman was misinterpreted for his joke about Sarah Palin's daughter.
                      Okay then let's include wayward boys.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        I think we need to be careful here not to peer-pressure someone who has listed something in the SELLING forum into giving the item away. I agree that the initial suggestion is a good idea, especially if the seller hasn't considered that option, but the responses are piling on so quickly that it puts the seller in an awkward position. It seems tacky when someone says, "I'm selling this," to respond with, "Why don't you give it away to a worthy cause instead?" If you're so concerned about the worthy causes, why not make an offer on the item and donate it yourself? Or how about starting a new thread and getting HTers to chip in until the asking price is reached?
                        I think a bit of confrontation is a good thing here. Think about it Scriv, what good would a full page advertisment do for a private citizen? NOTHING...NADA...ZIPPO BABY!!

This is a win-win situation here. A non profit get's fantastic public exposure and the taxpayer get's a nice write off for a decent tax refund or break even if they owed anything.

The reality is there is no out of pocket expense here. Even for the Star Bulletin. But there is a cash incentive for the winner.

Let's not read into this one. An extravagent prize, a great donation, everyone wins. How simple is that!
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 30, 2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          This is a win-win situation here. A non profit get's fantastic public exposure and the taxpayer get's a nice write off for a decent tax refund or break even if they owed anything.
                          Then buy the ad from KiwiDiva yourself and make the donation. Then it's win-win-win.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            Then buy the ad from KiwiDiva yourself and make the donation. Then it's win-win-win.
                            It's up to KiwiDiva to determine what's best, mine is just a suggestion. You on the other hand want to take this to a personal level and drag this into something that even you will consider to be in bad taste one day.

Geez Scriv take it easy man.

Comment

But what makes you think kiwidiva hasn't already considered what's best, and is therefore placing the ad up for sale? All I'm saying is that when someone offers something for sale, it is in poor taste to respond by saying, "You could donate it to someone." Do you not agree with that? By the way, I'm not trying to make it a personal thing. This isn't an attack on anyone in particular; I just think manners dictate a different approach in a selling forum.
                              Last edited by scrivener; December 30, 2009, 11:46 AM.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X