How to Sell Car in Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Sell Car in Hawai'i

first real words i think you said... you are getting the hang of it!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      1stwahine, are you thinking about the title? That's what I initially thought Stephen was talking about. That doesn't need to be notarized, and I know when I transferred title on one of my old cars, I couldn't believe that's all there was to it. I guess that's why they say to keep 'em someplace safe!

Here is a PDF of the Bill of Sale form from the Hawaii DMV. It definitely has a notary space.
      Wow! I learned something! I didn't know I needed a Bill of Sale. I just thought you sell da vehicle give a receipt and say adios!

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        I just thought you sell da vehicle give a receipt and say adios!
        In Tijuana, maybe yes. But not here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mataiva
          I personally try to stay away from selling "used" cars becuz you never know whats going to happen a day, month, year from now.
          (...) I feel comfortable promoting NEW cars.
          Big big mistake. The dealer makes lots more money selling used cars than new cars. And you as a salesperson make a lot more commission on used cars. Are you doing the job for your "comfort" level or to make money?
          And remember that the real profit comes from the add-ons -- warranties, financing, upgrades, etc etc.
          Tristin, I admire your energy and understand your naivete, as you wrote earlier that this is your first time selling cars. But I agree with all the others who have advised you that you're possibly hurting more than helping yourself here.
          I sold Porsches for a couple of years while I was working my way through college. (Funny how I got the job. I had bought a Porsche from a dealership, and my salesman became the sales manager. Called me to offer me the job because I took advantage of him on my purchase! Long but very funny story.)
          Your milk analogy was cute, though totally irrelevant. Which of your bosses did that one come from -- Frank Caliri or Mark Caliri? And does your dealership still have the policy that as a salesperson, if you can't get a customer to write an offer you absolutely must turn them over to another salesperson before that customer leaves the lot?
          Good luck to you... it's a cutthroat business you're in, and salespeople are a dime a dozen (or less). You're only as good as last month's numbers.

And while the forms do have a space for a notary, I've never ever been required to have the form notarized, over a dozen or so vehicles.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            And while the forms do have a space for a notary, I've never ever been required to have the form notarized, over a dozen or so vehicles.
            Same experience here, over a dozen vehicles and never did more than just sign off on the ownership paper. The only time I've done a "Bill of Sale" is when I needed to ship a car on Matson or Y.B. prior to having the title transfered. (But I've not sold a car that was "owned" by a bank ... I suppose that could complicate things?)

Comment

I've bought and sold lotsa cars and when it comes down to it, all you need to do to sell a car is to sign off on the title, sign and tear off the top portion and send it in to DMV within 10-days to clear your of any violations to that vehicle after you sold it.

The buyer signs off on the same title, goes to DMV with proof of insurance, transfers the title to his name and viola it's a done deal.

No need for bill of sale at all. DMV has never asked me for one ever.

As for new vs used. For my 22-year old kid we opted for new because he simply doesn't have the know how to fix his own car let alone change the oil. I buy used because the depreciated value has already kicked in as opposed to the new car buyer that foots that loss.

And I'm in agreement with LikaNui that used cars is where the money is. Rocco at BMW Honolulu has been selling high-end automobiles for well over 25-years by now (probably way more) and what is he selling at BMW? Pre-owned BMW's he knows where the money is.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

(cough, cough) Wat den?
                Bill of Sale or No need?

Notorized? Definitely No Need!

I just want to sell my Manerva!

K-den. I'll stick to wat the DMV worker said and wat the majority of you all said. No need. Just sign the Ownership Papers ova - afta I get paid!

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  (cough, cough) Wat den?
                  Bill of Sale or No need?

Notorized? Definitely No Need!

I just want to sell my Manerva!

K-den. I'll stick to wat the DMV worker said and wat the majority of you all said. No need. Just sign the Ownership Papers ova - afta I get paid!

MAHALO

Auntie Lynn

Das it Auntie...how simple eh? BTW I got your PM...Muchos Mahalo!!!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

In my experience as well, that "Bill of Sale" form seems to appear only when buying from a business or dealer. It seems private party sales require only the title transfer. That is, I've most certainly traded ownership of vehicles with the title alone, and the "Bill of Sale" never came up.

I'm wondering if the "Bill of Sale" may be required in Stephen's case because the title holder may be a business -- i.e. his bank, or lender. But I don't know.

FWIW, I buy only used cars, but have bought some from dealers (have I mentioned lately that the Tony Autogroup sucks?). I've definitely dealt with the "Bill of Sale" in those cases... and that it frequently precedes the title transfer.

Comment

Eh, where da car tita stay?
                      [/peering into monitor]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X