Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Print/TV/Radio AND The Internet

Originally posted by Karen View Post
    Gecko, the newspaper industry will not continue to give us their paper for free as more of us continue to refuse home delivery. At some point they'll have to charge a subscription rate for internet. I don't know if we can say "most" of their income is by advertisers when for many years most homes have taken a paper at least on Sundays. However, here's evidence their industry is hurting in advertising.
    I tend to disagree, there are too many cases moving in the opposite direction as paper organizations realize they cannot charge for what you can get for free. Even if it comes from the HawaiiReporter.com. That isn't an attack, it's just that there will always be a smaller, quicker and free competitor. Unlike the airlines, the small guy can survive with a niche market.

A prime example is the New York Times that killed it's TimesSelect product in Sept. 2007. They also openned their archive (something the Advertiser is moving to charge $ for). And the WSJ is thinking about it... Their method is tease what you can't get with the free. But that won't last long as others fill the gap.

More likely print will just fade as the subscription rates have to increase to support production of lower numbers. Rumors are constantly swirling about the papers selling... But to who?

Comment

Originally posted by Geebz View Post
      You rate success on a number of things when it comes to the web, but it's the return community that really gages a sites worth/success. Just in how we are doing here on HT.

Future success of the internet - Sociology before Technology
      Good point... But, how do you measure that? Qualitative measurements and even statistics are borderline quasi-science. Businesses like black and white metrics (and some were sold on the web with just that, solid metrics).

So let's look more into how you 'monetize' social networking because that is what it comes down to... business. Does the fragmentation becomes so great that news organizations become micro-units that have lower revenue expectations? It's a change in design and not one that will be easy... It really does mean the end of large media companies (and they will not go out without a fight).

Comment

Island, I hope you are right! I am not convinced but this isn't a test or contest, just saying how there's still a psychological barrier to getting people to move over and leave the old name they grew up with, sort of thing.

For instance, I always read the obits in our Advertiser on island and at mysanantonio.com online. I often learn of someone I know or their people that have passed. Now, if your theory bears-out then I'll never have to pay to utilize these online. However....they can charge a yearly fee or something because their new competitors that will come online will have a struggle getting people to stop using the old, tried and true papers for obits, and using the new ones.

We all will still use what we have for years, like a comfy, old shoe, habits die hard.....etc. Dunno, but the next five or so years will tell.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Print will always be my woobie. Smell of coffee in the morning, sounds of the page turning and the smell of fresh print. Kind of like the old ditto machines of the 60's
          Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Well I left Sunday on the red eye for San Francisco and returned yesterday
            and I was so glad to see my papers from Mon/Tues/Wed. piled up from my
            neighbor for me! I loved reading all of them this afternoon! I was thrilled too
            that at the hotel in SF they delivered the NYT, the SF Chronicle and the USA Today to your door! The lobby had the Wall Street Journal and also The
            Financial Times - I was in hog heaven!

Comment

Yeahhh, y'all are bringing back memories of a slower-paced life and it's sweet. Before we had kids, Sundays were getting up really late, and then spending half the day with more than one cup of coffee, the sunday paper and long distance phonecalls. Meanwhile the aroma of bacon and eggs wafted through the air, mmmm.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I got to say, the odd thing about traditional (print, TV, radio) is that they have developed over time the most significant fan base as distributors of content yet they haven't figured out how to tap into that equity. Mind boggling to say the least.

Instead of just feeding the public content, they can re-grow their industries by the same social media networking that the rest of the world is already engaged in. IMO, embrace the new media machine and traditional will rebound.
                Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Is the rest of the world engaged in social media? Just a question to think about... The strength of social media is its independence (as with the web as a whole). Why would you want to join the collective (as we watch Google try to control the game)? And look at the NYTimes MyTimes...

I point to the Honolulu Advertiser/Gannett in their initiative. Do you think it will be a success? Is that traditional media embracing new media? Or is it leveraging scale to collect information about you and try to encapsulate and identify for sales and marketing?

Again, it's business and we all understand that. But the revenue generated online as compared to traditional is still miles apart (although getting closer). How does that fit into the models?

So many questions... Not many answers. Let's start with one question, who's doing it right?

Comment

Not to join one (social community), but to create one based on any companies consumer base.

Who's doing it right? The first one that try's........

The best way to deal with change is to create it
                    Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

So wouldn't that be the Advertiser/Gannett? They started... But I don't think it's as 'explosive' as they were hoping...

Comment

Originally posted by IslandBeef View Post
                        So wouldn't that be the Advertiser/Gannett? They started... But I don't think it's as 'explosive' as they were hoping...
                        Actually, I have not seen/heard any real moves with this merger. Have they developed something new or kicking the same format around?
                        Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

It's not a merger, Gannett owns the Advertiser... They've use Pluck as a social networking platform.

Comment

It's not a merger, Gannett owns the Advertiser... They've use Pluck as a social networking platform.
                            Yep, the Advertiser site really looks great since they "Plucked" it. But IMO, though the Star Bulletins site looks "plain" they are closer to drawing social interactivity with their position of Hawaii based streaming news like their current running bit on Dog Chapman. I was more compelled to watch that and it drew me into the site.

Their (Advertiser & Star Bulletin) getting close to what I'm talking about. Tapping into the old equity and growing new with social media interactivity. However, both sites are still missing one last widget to engage the masses. I'm sure their IT peeps are one it......
                            Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Originally posted by Geebz View Post
                              However, both sites are still missing one last widget to engage the masses. I'm sure their IT peeps are one it......
                              Pardon my ignorance... But what widget would this be?

Also, how does the Star Bulletin "make money" on the video? When it comes down to it, if it doesn't generate revenue, how does it keep your business running?

Comment

Pardon my ignorance... But what widget would this be?
                                You're not ignorant; I didn't say what it was for a reason

But it's not about monetizing a streaming model, it's about monetizing a complete following/fan base through interactivity.
                                Aloha!

Geebz

Comment

Working...
                                X