the day is still young.
    HAHAHA! LOL!

You are correct, sir. You are correct.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied
    Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Originally posted by zztype
    So while you may have busted John Berger today, you probably missed a half-dozen other typographical, grammatical and other errors that pepper a daily paper.
    Blaine

the day is still young.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    Well, if I were not, I wouldn't be noticing all the things I have been commenting on, in this web site, re; the local papers...
    What I meant was that typos like Berger's are super-common in all the local media. I even spot them in national media presentations. I often see typos and other mistakes on CNN, for example.

Try watch local TV news sometimes. I choke at the "supers" put up over a talking head, or an info screen put up while the news anchor reads the teleprompter. Choke with typos and just plain misspellings!

So while you may have busted John Berger today, you probably missed a half-dozen other typographical, grammatical and other errors that pepper a daily paper.

Dass all I was trying fo' say.

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Heh.... you haven't been looking very carefully at any of the local newspapers, have you?
    Blaine

Well, if I were not, I wouldn't be noticing all the things I have been commenting on, in this web site, re; the local papers...

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Heh.... you haven't been looking very carefully at any of the local newspapers, have you? When I worked in the newsroom, I would typically find a half-dozen, or so, of those little literary chestnuts in between first and second editions.

That's not to say that the papers don't care. They have full crews of editors going over every article before it hits print. But it is just impossible to catch all the errors.

Writers don't necessarily possess good spelling and grammar skills. They have editors to do that for them. The writer is charged with getting the story and presenting the information in a logical flow. The work is often done under incredible deadline pressure, so corners are cut in the name of making the deadline.

Their work is then forwarded to an editor who should catch gaffes like the one described. Sometimes, an article will need so much work on the editor's part in order to go to press, that indeed errors slip out.

When the paper gets back from press, it is read from cover-to-cover by editors. Any mistakes found at this point are forwarded for correction to the various page editors for the second edition of the paper. If the error is major, the "web guys" will also be notified.

After the paper goes to press, the web guys get the final, edited page layout files from the various departments. They then begin the process of dismantling the page layouts, stripping the text out and laying it into HTML format. Usually the articles are read by the webmasters, as they work and corrections made on the fly. These corrections are passed back to the section editors who use them to correct second edition.

Usually by second edition, which is mainly for afternoon home delivery, most of the typos and gaffes have been corrected.

Then the newsroom crew sets up and starts working on the next day's edition, ad finitum, ad finitum.

(I hope you don't find many typos in this post!)

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Newsflash!
    Star Bulletin aspires to Honolulu Weekly spelling standards!

John Berger is really taking liberties here. Or maybe it's a new policy of the Bulletin: follow the lead of the masses and fabricate new words haphazardly and hope no one notices....
    (Is this an indication of the level of intelligence the Star Bull assumes is possessed by their readership?)

In today's Bull, (on the scene) Mr. Berger coins the word:
    "definative"

Johnny we hardly knew ye!
    ...and this before morning coffee!
    How could you do this to me?!
    Last edited by kimo55; December 31, 2004, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Early this morning I emailed Star-Bulletin webmaster Ken Andrade, complaining about the slow site response. He checked with NetEnterprise, who host Starbulletin.com. Seems that the Star-Bulletin story on the Eddie Aikau got some national attention this morning, including the Drudge Report. According to NetEnt folks, that one story was pulling so much traffic as to drag the whole site to its knees.

Blaine
    Er, not just national.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Early this morning I emailed Star-Bulletin webmaster Ken Andrade, complaining about the slow site response. He checked with NetEnterprise, who host Starbulletin.com. Seems that the Star-Bulletin story on the Eddie Aikau got some national attention this morning, including the Drudge Report. According to NetEnt folks, that one story was pulling so much traffic as to drag the whole site to its knees.

In webmaster parlance, "we won!"

That used to be the running joke at the Bulletin. If Ken and I produced some web feature or article that got so many hits that it took the network down, "we won!"

So kudos to Ken, Steven Park and the S-B staff! Today, "you won!"

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    It's up for me.
    Same here. I tried a few times between 7:30 and 8:30am and it tried to load, but verrrrrry slowly, then it finally worked around 9am.
    Whew. My day doesn't really start until I can read "The Buzz"!

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

It's up for me.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Hmm. The Star-Bulletin site's been unreachable for about half an hour now. The first time in a while I can remember any availability issues. Give that overworked Mac server a gentle kick, will ya?
    still down at this time too...

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Hmm. The Star-Bulletin site's been unreachable for about half an hour now. The first time in a while I can remember any availability issues. Give that overworked Mac server a gentle kick, will ya?

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Eh, tanks, eh? You guys. Make me blush!

Hahahaha! Hi Erika!

A hui hou,

Blaine

"Still making trouble after all these years!"

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    unless it's a picture of Erika...I'll wait patiently for that picture.
    Easy solution: right-click her photo and save it as your desktop image!

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

One objection I have with the Star Bulletin's home page is the main picture that takes forever to load when you're on dial up (like me), unless it's a picture of Erika...I'll wait patiently for that picture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X