Star-Bulletin on the Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Heh.... you haven't been looking very carefully at any of the local newspapers, have you? When I worked in the newsroom, I would typically find a half-dozen, or so, of those little literary chestnuts in between first and second editions.

That's not to say that the papers don't care. They have full crews of editors going over every article before it hits print. But it is just impossible to catch all the errors.

Writers don't necessarily possess good spelling and grammar skills. They have editors to do that for them. The writer is charged with getting the story and presenting the information in a logical flow. The work is often done under incredible deadline pressure, so corners are cut in the name of making the deadline.

Their work is then forwarded to an editor who should catch gaffes like the one described. Sometimes, an article will need so much work on the editor's part in order to go to press, that indeed errors slip out.

When the paper gets back from press, it is read from cover-to-cover by editors. Any mistakes found at this point are forwarded for correction to the various page editors for the second edition of the paper. If the error is major, the "web guys" will also be notified.

After the paper goes to press, the web guys get the final, edited page layout files from the various departments. They then begin the process of dismantling the page layouts, stripping the text out and laying it into HTML format. Usually the articles are read by the webmasters, as they work and corrections made on the fly. These corrections are passed back to the section editors who use them to correct second edition.

Usually by second edition, which is mainly for afternoon home delivery, most of the typos and gaffes have been corrected.

Then the newsroom crew sets up and starts working on the next day's edition, ad finitum, ad finitum.

(I hope you don't find many typos in this post!)

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
      Heh.... you haven't been looking very carefully at any of the local newspapers, have you?
      Blaine

Well, if I were not, I wouldn't be noticing all the things I have been commenting on, in this web site, re; the local papers...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        Well, if I were not, I wouldn't be noticing all the things I have been commenting on, in this web site, re; the local papers...
        What I meant was that typos like Berger's are super-common in all the local media. I even spot them in national media presentations. I often see typos and other mistakes on CNN, for example.

Try watch local TV news sometimes. I choke at the "supers" put up over a talking head, or an info screen put up while the news anchor reads the teleprompter. Choke with typos and just plain misspellings!

So while you may have busted John Berger today, you probably missed a half-dozen other typographical, grammatical and other errors that pepper a daily paper.

Dass all I was trying fo' say.

Blaine

Comment

So while you may have busted John Berger today, you probably missed a half-dozen other typographical, grammatical and other errors that pepper a daily paper.
          Blaine

the day is still young.

Comment

the day is still young.
            HAHAHA! LOL!

You are correct, sir. You are correct.

Comment

Writers don't necessarily possess good spelling and grammar skills.
              I would think that it WOULD be necessary for them to possess these common traits...

(ahhh, the good old days, when decent spelling and grammatical standards were part and parcel of the genre. When that WAS implicitly part of the definition of "writer"...)

They have editors to do that for them.
              ok.. I see; so this is how it goes:
              "...hey welcome to our paper, You will enjoy working here. And, oh; you don't need to develop decent spelling standards... and hey! the ones you DO have, you can drop them. Why? Cuz we get odda guys to take care of that FOR you!

* work is then forwarded to an editor who should catch gaffes like the one described.

* read from cover-to-cover by editors.

* page editors

* articles are read by the webmasters,

* section editors

After all these "filters" I am still surprised a nonexistent word gets through. And equally surprised another requisite filter; spellcheck, is not employed. (which would, of course raise a red flag with this fabrication.)
              Last edited by kimo55; December 31, 2004, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I would think that it WOULD be necessary for them to possess these common traits... (ahhh, the good old days, when decent spelling and grammatical standards were part and parcel of the genre. When that WAS implicitly part of the definition of "writer"...)

Sorry to say that in my experience, that was not always the case. It's not to say that most writers at the paper can't spell, most are extremely adept wordsmiths. There are a few, however, who fall into the aforementioned category.

Comment

Writers don't necessarily possess good spelling and grammar skills.
                  I mean that's like saying:

"... exactitude, a steady hand and a full comprehension of neurology are not really needed to become a brain surgeon..."

or

"... good driving skills aren't a prerequisite for chauffeurs."
                  Originally posted by Erika Engle
                  Not only that, but our pages are searchable for years -- not just the past two months, like the other guys' who will charge you for archived stuff.
                  the SB as well as the advertiser's search engines are quite... how may I say it delicately? Sucky.

yes. that's the word.

Tis a far, far better thing to employ google. Not the internal search engines of the papers.
                  What I meant was that typos like Berger's are super-common in all the local media. I even spot them in national media presentations. I often see typos and other mistakes on CNN, for example.
                  Sure, these lowered standards are national and rampant. But the quantity doesn't justify the lowering of the quality.

We see it everywhere. But why must all follow suit?

"They do it, so it's ok we do it."

There has got ta be a word, label, term, whatevah, for this syndrome:
                  "we see it all over the place so it must be ok. We now do it too, and it really is ok!"
                  Last edited by kimo55; December 31, 2004, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Tis a far, far better thing to employ google. Not the internal search engines of the papers.
                    Guess Google is kinda sucky too, since it appears that the SB uses them to power the search engine for the online edition.

And at least I can go back and search day by day on the SB site, and not have to pay for it.

Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      Guess Google is kinda sucky too, since it appears that the SB uses them to power the search engine for the online edition.

And at least I can go back and search day by day on the SB site, and not have to pay for it.

Yet.

All I know is what I experience re; this.
                      current or archive article search works great in google itself. Not well at all through the papers' search.
                      Last edited by kimo55; December 31, 2004, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Website Update

It seems that the Honolulu Star-Bulletin has updated their website. I have always liked the Star-Bulletin website for its simplicity of design over the years. The new revision unveiled today seems to carry this forward. It is way better than the Honolulu Advertiser.

So far without probing too deep, the only things I find glaring is the fact that the BACK ISSUES link is nowhere to be found on the home page. I hope all of the back issues dating back to 1996 are still there and remain FREE as they have been for all these years. This is what set the Bulletin site apart the best from the Advertiser, who only provide about 2 months of free back issues unless you saved individual URLs to items from long ago.

Also I hope users don't have to log-in to see content that was freely available for use without logging in.

Anyway this is my initial impression of the Bulletin's new site design.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin Website Update

The Star-Bulletin is changing servers, and it takes half a day or so for all the links to be refreshed. The back issues links should be there by tomorrow. If you need back issue right away, run your cursor over the blue bar at the top with the section titles, and a spry drops down with further choices -- the last one for each department is always ARCHIVES - HISTORICAL
                          Last edited by buzz1941; September 23, 2008, 01:29 PM.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I went on their new site and didn't see an obituary section.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              /snip I hope all of the back issues dating back to 1996 are still there and remain FREE as they have been for all these years. This is what set the Bulletin site apart the best from the Advertiser, who only provide about 2 months of free back issues unless you saved individual URLs to items from long ago./snip
                              I noticed that the Advertiser back issues beyond a certain date weren't free from the website anymore but the article I was looking for popped up for free on a google search instead of a search of the Advertiser web archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                                I noticed that the Advertiser back issues beyond a certain date weren't free from the website anymore but the article I was looking for popped up for free on a google search instead of a search of the Advertiser web archives.
                                Shh... (and remember you can use the Google cache)

Comment

Working...
                                X