Blocking Pop Up Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking Pop Up Ads

In our old forum, the subject of pop up ads appeared as part of a discussion relating to the Honolulu Advertiser website. Here are the 2 simple solutions offered to our readers on how to block pop up ads.

Windows & MS Explorer: Download the Google Toolbar. After you install you can search Google anytime you are using Explorer. The nice thing about this is that it has a POP UP ad blocking option.

http://toolbar.google.com/

Macintosh OS X: Use Apple's Safari web browser. Pop up ad blocking is built in and can be activiated from a selection in the "Safari" menu.

I have been assured by our forum host that pop up ads will never be a problem here, nor at the main Hawaii Radio & Television Guide website.

I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Blocking Pop Up Ads

Or, if you're using Windows, just don't use Internet Explorer. I recommend either Netscape or Mozilla Firefox. They both automatically block pop-ups, plus they have tabbed browsing, one of the single best new browser features in years.

Comment

I've recently noticed that some pop up ads are escaping the Google toolbar feature that I have on the PC I use at work. Anyone using the Google toolbar who notices this with Internet Explorer and Windows?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        I've recently noticed that some pop up ads are escaping the Google toolbar feature that I have on the PC I use at work. Anyone using the Google toolbar who notices this with Internet Explorer and Windows?

Yep, I sure do! Darned frustrating.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Or, if you're using Windows, just don't use Internet Explorer. I recommend either Netscape or Mozilla Firefox. They both automatically block pop-ups, plus they have tabbed browsing, one of the single best new browser features in years.
          yah! go firefox!

Comment

What are pop up ads? And what are ads in the first place?

Ever since I got firefox, and my firewall blocks those ads, I didn't see any. But I wish I could see that "you won $10,000!" ad, so that I can win some money!
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              But I wish I could see that "you won $10,000!" ad, so that I can win some money!
              These messages are misleading... don't even bother with them. It may cause you to have S.P.A.M.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652
                These messages are misleading... don't even bother with them. It may cause you to have S.P.A.M.
                I know, I was just kidding.

But its fun to see ads at school on the sites that you normally visit at home.

Comment

Doesn't MS service pack 2 offer pop up blocking?
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Doesn't MS service pack 2 offer pop up blocking?
                    Only for internet explorer

Comment

Working...
                    X