Blaine back to Star-Bulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blaine back to Star-Bulletin?

You got that right! By the way, that's a Quicktime VR image. If you click and drag your cursor around on the image, you can spin it around and look at the other folks in the bar, too! Shift key zooms in, control key zooms out. Fun!
    Originally posted by lavagal
    posthumously? As we can clearly see, they were already self embalming! Probably all smoking, too. Crusty old newsmen! They didn't give a rip if you took their picture as long as you bought another round!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
      Doh! You not supposed to say THAT!! Hehehe. See ya in a couple of weeks.
      Blaine

(LavaGal, I forgot, you can add Sin to your list of newsroom denizens, too!)

Sorry, I should have said, "You should have known you would outlast any short, angry, Canadian management types."

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm a newsroom dude. Damn it Blaine, you outted me.

Comment

Hahaha! LOL! Short, angry Canadians? Well, OK.

But I would bet that my short comment to Lavagal went over most readers' heads until you, uh, issued this clarification.
        Originally posted by sin
        Sorry, I should have said, "You should have known you would outlast any short, angry, Canadian management types."

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm a newsroom dude. Damn it Blaine, you outted me.

Comment

Aloha Blaine,

So are you the one behind the new FRAMELESS template?

So much better!

Frames were so 90's. lol

Also noticed SB's archived pages are still "stacked" on the server. Any plans on using a server-side Database such as MySQL/PHP?

Still, SB's archived pages show up more often on major search engines than HA, so maybe it's best to keep it as is.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hi Pomai,

No, wasn't me. Current webmaster Ken Andrade engineered the redesign with heavy input from management. I offered to step in and finish, but they got it done, got it signed off and launched on the day I agreed to move back there.

So "90s"? Heh. Uh, yes. The original site design was launched in March 1996! In Internet years, that's like, jurassic! I would have been looking to lose the frame setup and go PHP/includes to gain a "flat" page assembled from many different sources. But they beat me to it, so for the time being, I'll learn the existing setup and carry it forward.

We were starting to use PHP/MySQL BEFORE I left in 2001! We were just experimenting then. These days, the Election Results pages and the Breaking News sections are PHP-based. I don't know what else they have in PHP right now, but those are the two I noticed.

The archives were intended to remain static, forever. Once posted, they should never change, except under the most extreme circumstances. They will stay, as posted, as a record of the news of the day, and as a record of themselves!

Thanks for posting that you like it. I do know that Ken for sure, and possibly the other webmaster, Steven Park, read this thread.

Aloha,

Blaine

Originally posted by Pomai
            Aloha Blaine,

So are you the one behind the new FRAMELESS template?

So much better!

Frames were so 90's. lol

Also noticed SB's archived pages are still "stacked" on the server. Any plans on using a server-side Database such as MySQL/PHP?

Still, SB's archived pages show up more often on major search engines than HA, so maybe it's best to keep it as is.

Comment

I think the Star Bulletin archive pages are FINE just the way they are. And yes, they are easily searchable, easily linkable without overly long URLs that database set-ups create.... so as an end user linking to a story from say, 2001, we just type in the direct URL instead of having to wash it through tinyurl.com to make em shorter.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So "90s"? Heh. Uh, yes. The original site design was launched in March 1996! In Internet years, that's like, jurassic! I would have been looking to lose the frame setup and go PHP/includes to gain a "flat" page assembled from many different sources. But they beat me to it, so for the time being, I'll learn the existing setup and carry it forward.
                This inspires me to compose a new song for Mel's "HawaiiThreads.com The Music: Volume I"...

"Don't Blame Blaine for Star Bulletin Frames!"
                Last edited by Pomai; October 5, 2005, 10:05 PM. Reason: typo.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Haha, I know, joke, but I have to say that I WAS responsible for the frames!! I took the frame setup idea from David Shapiro, at the time Managing Editor. He had put together a page for himself with frames and a javascript news headline crawl. I took his page and ran with it from there. In early 1996, we were quite cutting-edge!

Blaine

This inspires me to compose a new song for Mel's "HawaiiThreads.com The Music: Volume I"...

"Don't Blame Blaine for Star Bulletin Frames!"

Comment

Haha, I know, joke
                    Just thought the rhyme sounded fun.

In all due respect, StarBulletin.com is a daily part of my news fix and I admire your work
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Bah! Yes, your rhyme WAS funny! But I thought it was ALSO funny that, in fact, I WAS the guy!
                      Just thought the rhyme sounded fun.

Comment

Bah! Yes, your rhyme WAS funny! But I thought it was ALSO funny that, in fact, I WAS the guy!
                        K.. I goin' change 'em den...
                        BLAME BLAINE FOR STAR BULLETIN'S FRAMES
                        **To the tune of "I RAN" by The Flock of Seagulls**

The deal back at SB must have been pretty $WEET. Sweet enough to leave KSBE. Nah.. but you did it for the love of course!

I remember RevaComm starting out The Advertiser's site. I believe they do it all in house now. No?
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Yah, they designed the original but daily production was always in-house. They hired Scott Yoshinaga to do honoluluadvertiser.com but they didn't go online until Oct. 1999, just after Rupert Phillips flew into town to "shut down" the Bulletin.
                          I remember RevaComm starting out The Advertiser's site. I believe they do it all in house now. No?

Comment

StarBulletin.com is a daily part of my news fix and I admire your work
                            Thank you.

Oh, you meant ... Oh.

Comment

S-B Webmaster Ken Andrade asked me to post this here for your reading pleasure. -- Blaine

Hi all,

Just dropping in to clarify a point about the SB redesign that Blaine wasn't privy to: This was very much a group effort, with a whole bunch of wish lists trickling down through our two-person Web department -- which had to keep cranking out daily editions during the process.

Pivotal PHP and HTML work came from Assistant Webmaster Steven Park, major graphic inspiration came from Graphic Artist Bryant Fukutomi, and absolutely essential reality checks and backstopping on daily production came from Copy Editor Wilma Jandoc. And feature suggestions came from all over management, from the publisher on down.

I basically rode herd on things, trying to make sure the result was usable for readers, yet different. We didn't want anyone saying, 'What changed?' Oh, and one other thing: Production of an entire daily edition had to be manageable by a single Web staffer, which is what our department has available on most days. Hands on, without a CMS.

The result isn't 100% of what anyone wanted, but it's been live every day for a week now, and thus far it appears to have pleased more people than it has ticked off. Taking it beyond that lies with Blaine; I'm slated to become business editor as soon as he's settled in. Based on the years we worked together, I'm sure he's up to it.

For what it's worth,

--Ken Andrade

Comment

Mahalo Mr. Ken Andrade. Good Luck and Best Wishes to you Blaine (HJB)...My Web Master and friend!

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X