Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beverly Harbin vs. TalkStink.com

Some webhosts let you use anonymous "proxy" info in your WHOIS, rather than leave all that info (including name, address, and phone number) available to anyone who wants it. If Jon had done this with the BevHarbin.com domains, I'm sure Harbin would have contacted the registrar and webhost, but what then? Would she have had any success with either (if they were not one and the same) entity in getting that info? Or would they have looked at the site, determined that Jon's use of it didn't constitute cybersquatting, and taken up Jon's cause as some kind of gesture of looking out for their customers?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Having grappled with similar teapot tempests, I can tell you that most webhosts would basically pull the plug at the first whiff of a "C&D" -- even an inarticulate, poorly-stated letter like the one Beverly Harbin threw together. They'll act first, and think later... and the thinking will most of the time go against the satirist and critic.

Some fights are worth The Good Fight, but for a webhost with tens of thousands of clients, I doubt many would qualify. Especially with recently enacted laws on both the federal and state level (like the disaster of a law that Harbin cited) that make things so murky that lawyers for the besmirched likely compare it to shooting fish in a barrel.

Glad both dailies picked it up, and I heard it on HPR this morning. At best, folks will look deeply into this and see a troubling abuse of flawed laws to stifle free speech and a demonstration of poor political character... and at worst, more people will know about TalkStink.com and enjoy Jon's cartoons.

Comment

Well I hope Jon's website can put up with all the additional hits it will probably get today. The publicity will only make more people aware of TalkStink.com and have more people see the Harbin content that was once on the former domain name.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

AuntiePupule.com's version of Bev Harbin vs TalkStink.com
          http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog

Some people's children!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; June 30, 2006, 09:31 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I look very much forward to Aunty Pupule's inevitable receipt of a threatening letter, and the subsequent fireworks.

By the way, the article in the Honolulu Advertiser is not the same AP story the Star-Bulletin ran. It has a lot more information, and goes much deeper into the implications of Bev's threats, which is the kind of analysis I was looking for. So bravo to Derrick DePledge for talking to several great sources (and asking the ACLU why they wouldn't take the case), referencing the cybersquatting law, and more.

Doug White's follow-up at Poinography is here. He mentions an attempt by Harbin to contact him after he posted his earlier analysis of the brouhaha. Will it soon be Beverly Harbin v. The Blogosphere? From the Advertiser article:
            "They'd rather just sit back and hide behind a computer screen," she said of some bloggers. "They won't come out and scrap."
            What exactly is she saying? She'd rather be challenged face to face? Sorry, Bev, but there's plenty of good scrapping to do online, and woe betide the politician who fails to understand the internet and the real impact of those pesky bloggers.
            Last edited by pzarquon; June 30, 2006, 09:43 AM. Reason: Credit where credit is due!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              I look very much forward to .....
              ok. who are you and what have you done with Ryan?!

Comment

I look very much forward to Aunty Pupule's inevitable receipt of a threatening letter, and the subsequent fireworks.

What exactly is she saying? She'd rather be challenged face to face? Sorry, Bev, but there's plenty of good scrapping to do online, and woe betide the politician who fails to understand the internet and the real impact of those pesky bloggers.
                Threats don't scare me.

I'm ready. Online or not.

Proud Pesky Blogger Bi-Polar I am!!

Auntie pUpule

Threats don't scare me.

Freedom of Speech is Excellent!
                Bloggers United We Stand!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; June 30, 2006, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Harbin's now a racketeer?
                  The site would really be in the way.
                  Somebody explain the words "protection racket" to her, preferably someone from Peter Carlisle's office.

(I copied that quoted sentence from the scan of her letter posted at TalkStink.com)
                  Last edited by Linkmeister; June 30, 2006, 10:48 AM. Reason: Clarify source of quote
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    I copied that quoted sentence from the scan of her letter posted at TalkStink.com
                    Also noted above, as that line most definitely stood out to me as well. Could she have been any more transparent as to her motives in using unrelated laws as a weapon? Political expediency at the expense of protected political speech. Sheesh.

Of course, her call-out to bloggers who want to scrap as noted in The Advertiser may also come back to haunt her.

Comment

Of course, her call-out to bloggers who want to scrap as noted in The Advertiser may also come back to haunt her.
                      Most definitely!

On Febuary 28, 2006 - Bev Harbin became a Blogger. Her first post on 2/28/06. Her second and final entry 3/14/06.
                      http://www.repbevharbin.com/blog.htm

Her Header say's
                      THE HAWAII STATE LEGISLATURE

Bev's Harbin Blog

Yep! She got dat right!!! Unplugged in da HEAD!

Well, she failed as a Blogger. And we all know she is a failure as a State Representative! No wonda she like "scrap" with Bloggers. She jealous!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Turns out there was another local blogger, TikiPundit, who'd been keeping tabs on Harbin's wacky world. In fact, TikiPundit was similarly and independently inspired to make comic strip commentaries about her. Here's an index of TikiPundit's Harbin posts.

Comment

I have a feeling this is only the beginning of something BIG in the making. Bloggers uniting for a good cause!

TalkStink.com started it all!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/02/e...l/letters.html

"Harbin overstepped it with Web site threat"

Das me!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/02/e...l/letters.html

"Harbin overstepped it with Web site threat"

Das me!
                              Cool Aunty, but I noticed a Oops in your letter ?

http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/02/e...l/letters.html

Freedom of speech is excellent. However, Bev has made a mockery of it. I can't wait for the election to be over. We need a representative who will have all his marbles!

don't you mean his or her marbles ?
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

or "all their marbles".
                                'course;
                                freedom of speech is NOT excellent.
                                The application of it can be, though.
                                or when we see it in action...
                                also:
                                "I can't wait for the election to be over"
                                means she will have the election now. Since she can't wait for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X