Casey "The Opinionator" Ishitani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey "The Opinionator" Ishitani

It turns out that the much reviled Ka Leo O Hawaii cartoonist Casey Ishitani has not returned to the student publication this semester. Sources have it that he had refused to attend the "re-education camp" mandated by the University for participation in the extra curricular activity.

Mr. Ishitani had incurred the wrath of an ad hoc group called Power 96 (I, at first thought they might be some hip-hop soul FM station) with this cartoon....

http://www.kaleo.org/vnews/display.v...66&image_num=2

The group then pressured the students at the paper to take part in some sort of 'touchy, feely, squishy' sensitivity training. Hell, I'm still trying to imagine what happens in those kinds of 'classes'. May be that all get in a circle hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya'.

It might be interesting to see if "The Opinionator" rears its head in some other form. Surely there must be a 'zine, there are afterall so many, that would pick him up. Maybe the Honolulu Weakly could use him, they haven't found a replacement for Ted Rall afterall.

Talofa

Re: Casey "The Opinionator" Ishitani

I think he probably dropped because cartoonist get paid only $5 per strip. I doubt it was worth $5 to go through that.

Comment

Originally posted by Etoain Shrdlu
      The group then pressured the students at the paper to take part in some sort of 'touchy, feely, squishy' sensitivity training.
      These controversies boil over with some regularity, I guess. After a protest (or was it two?) when I was there, the editors were pushed into a seminar of some kind organized by the brilliant minds at Campus Center. There was no holding hands, there was no 'Kumbaya,' and frankly, we came out of it with all sorts of frustration and unfounded anger that wasn't there when we went in.

Surely there must be a 'zine, there are afterall so many, that would pick him up. Maybe the Honolulu Weakly could use him, they haven't found a replacement for Ted Rall afterall.
      For all his willingness to push buttons, Ishitani is still no Ted Rall. And Roy Chang seems to have the "safe editorial cartoons" category locked up in other publications. Maybe he could find some success syndicating his stuff to high school papers?

Comment

>>>It turns out that the much reviled Ka Leo O Hawaii cartoonist Casey Ishitani has not returned to the student publication this semester.

I often thought those strips offered little, if anything, of value. It appeared to me that the main purpose was to see how far the cartoonist could go in trying to piss people off. For all the wrong reasons. Completely devoid of any intelligence, they were often childish attempts at go-knows-what. Of course, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and yeah, there's the 'free press' argument -- if you own your own press.

That paper's already in the toilet, at least they don't have that god-awful swill to bring it down any further.

Comment

Sorry, but I saw the cartoon and it really bit......

Comment

Working...
          X