The 'new' Star Bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 'new' Star Bulletin

I'm not sure why 808golfer is so sensitive or considers my thoughts on the SB and Advertiser outrageously biased. Consider my reaction to the first issue of the new SB. I made clear why I was disappointed--So many pages, so little news. No mystery when you've recently laid off a number of good reporters. I would have to say, yes, I'm biased towards hard news. Is that bad when considering the newspapers as a source of news?

I just tried to go back over a month of entries on my blog, www.iLind.net, to look at what has been perceived as bias towards the SB. First impression--I really didn't write all that much about either newspaper. I noted stories in both that I recommended reading, commented on staff departures (including Charley Memmingers), reported financial info on David Black's larger business enterprise, criticized a SB editorial for misstating a key fact.

I don't consider any of that "biased".

Oh, well. So it goes.

-Ian Lind

Comment

Originally posted by genepark View Post
      For anyone complaining about the lack of content, today and beyond would be better barometers for how much mileage you will get out of the Star-Bulletin.
      Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      That's what I said.
      Me too, in post #11.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Me too, in post #11.
        OK so I'm the last person to say it. lol

Actually what I was referring to is how slow Sunday is, not giving the SB a chance. I realize many folks will give them a chance.

I haven't even looked at today's issue. I'll probably pick one up on the way home or at Subway.
        ---
        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

I like the portable size and i think the page designs are nice BUT like others it has lost its "newsiness," probably just needing to get used to the new size and need to stop thinking of it as "Midweek-sized."

Comment

A shortage of news, on Sunday, or any day?

Hardly. It's the lack of media coverage concerning REAL news that is the problem. Few media sources dig into the matters of deep concern any more. It's easier/cheaper to hit the obvious daily stuff and then rely on gossipy tabloid junk to flesh it out, and that's all we get for the most part. There is lot's of real news, every day, but we rarely get it in the papers, radio, TV, and if it's on the net you have to dig or know where to go.

I hope the SB get's much better than what it's suddenly changed to, irregardless of the format, but it seems doubtful if what we now see is any indication. They would have put their best foot forward already with the change, instead it's taken a dive.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I picked up an SB today and thumbed thru it. My first thoughts, understanding it's only the 2nd day...
              1. I like the size
              2. I didn't take it seriously because it reminds me of MidWeek
              3. I like MidWeek for the fluff!

Comment

Originally posted by ilind View Post
                I'm not sure why 808golfer is so sensitive or considers my thoughts on the SB and Advertiser outrageously biased. Consider my reaction to the first issue of the new SB. I made clear why I was disappointed--So many pages, so little news. No mystery when you've recently laid off a number of good reporters. I would have to say, yes, I'm biased towards hard news. Is that bad when considering the newspapers as a source of news?

I just tried to go back over a month of entries on my blog, www.iLind.net, to look at what has been perceived as bias towards the SB. First impression--I really didn't write all that much about either newspaper. I noted stories in both that I recommended reading, commented on staff departures (including Charley Memmingers), reported financial info on David Black's larger business enterprise, criticized a SB editorial for misstating a key fact.

I don't consider any of that "biased".

Oh, well. So it goes.

-Ian Lind
                I may have over reacted a bit with regard to the bias thing. In general though, I believe you tend to see anything the SB does as a glass half empty and the Tizer as half full. Back in the day, you used to recognize the significant difference in resources both in people count and money and how much more difficult it is for the underdog....oh, well. So it goes. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Re: A shortage of news, on Sunday, or any day?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                  Hardly. It's the lack of media coverage concerning REAL news that is the problem. Few media sources dig into the matters of deep concern any more. It's easier/cheaper to hit the obvious daily stuff and then rely on gossipy tabloid junk to flesh it out, and that's all we get for the most part. There is lot's of real news, every day, but we rarely get it in the papers, radio, TV, and if it's on the net you have to dig or know where to go.

I hope the SB get's much better than what it's suddenly changed to, irregardless of the format, but it seems doubtful if what we now see is any indication. They would have put their best foot forward already with the change, instead it's taken a dive.
                  Ok...So, name 3 or 4 REAL news items not in today's SB that Editor Ron would have made sure got reported??

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Ian's slant on the issues he discusses on his blog can be very biased, no question about that. But agree or disagree with his opinions....at least he's willing to put his real name next to his opinions.

Right, Mr. 808golfer?
                    You go first Mr. Market....

Comment

And I knew 808golfer would be jumping all over anyone who dares to criticize his dear Star Bulletin. I have to give him credit for being one of their biggest supporters.

Honestly wondering why he feels they can do no wrong?
                      Besides the standard "they have less resources and are still alive" response.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                        And I knew 808golfer would be jumping all over anyone who dares to criticize his dear Star Bulletin. I have to give him credit for being one of their biggest supporters.

Honestly wondering why he feels they can do no wrong?
                        Besides the standard "they have less resources and are still alive" response.
                        ok...Their color reproduction on some of the pics could be a lot better. Ok, there...I slammed them. That felt pretty darn good.....I feel like I belong now.

Comment

Hey, it's fine that you're a SB supporter, but I think your support makes you overally sensitive and bias against criticism of the Bulletin at times.

We're all just expressing our opinions here. Negatively or positively, but you tend to get a little overzealous and attack.

You usually come back later with a more tempered response after the initial attack though. It just seems so personal, as if you, yourself are being criticized.

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
                            You go first Mr. Market....
                            Duh! I'm not the one taking cheap shots at Ian.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                              Hey, it's fine that you're a SB supporter, but I think your support makes you overally sensitive and bias against criticism of the Bulletin at times.

We're all just expressing our opinions here. Negatively or positively, but you tend to get a little overzealous and attack.

You usually come back later with a more tempered response after the initial attack though. It just seems so personal, as if you, yourself are being criticized.
                              ok...my bad. I will go play golf tomorrow morning and chill.

Comment

Hit em straight!

Comment

Working...
                                X