Advertiser or Bulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertiser or Bulletin?

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but let's talk about this.

I am kama'aina, and have family connections to the Advertiser. My sense is that there is a long and strong loyalty to that paper among people who have been here a long time. The Bulletin never had much of a reputation back in the old days, columinists like Donnely and others excepted.

In recent years, though, it seems to me that the Bulletin is gaining. They're not as deep, true, and they're a lot splashier, which can be a problem, but I think the writing is punchier and more interesting.

Thoughts?

Re: Advertiser or Bulletin?

I support the Star-Bulletin because it's the underdog business-wise, and I like having two competing papers in town.

Comment

Having read both online papers from many years back and then sticking to Advertiser's site for the past couple of years, I mainly stuck with that because of its nicer layout. Though, I wish I had the option of both papers in hard copy at my local store or mail box
      There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

I buy both. They have different perspectives. One misses what the other gets, article wise. Bulletin has many fave columnists. Bulletin looks more like an island pepah, advertiser looks (and often reads) alot like something from the mainland.

Comment

I check the major stories on both online sites each day but on the rare occasions when I actually buy the paper edition, it's the Advertiser.

(I still wish the Bulletin would get rid of those annoying pop-up ads on their website.)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            I buy both. They have different perspectives. One misses what the other gets, article wise. Bulletin has many fave columnists. Bulletin looks more like an island pepah, advertiser looks (and often reads) alot like something from the mainland.

I get the advertiser daily, and the bulletin whenever i am near a vending machine. or try to buy from those guys on da street, give em an extra tip. I don't buy from the guys puffing away on a cancerstick like a chimney as if there's no tomorrow. I don't like the idea of buying a nicotine and tar infused newspaper, or have my auto filled for a while with the smell after they blow it in my direction.

Comment

I have an emotional attachment to the Bulletin, as well as a preference for their professional style. I am an annual residential subscriber but also buy off the street if I can't wait 'til I get home. I like them because they're the underdog, yes, and also because they tap more into "local" sensibilities (for better or worse). I also like their print presentation better (especially since the Advertiser shrunk!).

That said, I read both online... and often hit the Advertiser first, lately, since it's easier to get around.

I am glad to have both available. They don't always cover the same things, and even when they do, they often offer different perspectives, and as an overall news junkie, more news is always good news.

Comment

Advertiser! I like Vickki Viotti's stories. Also, the Iraq/Afganistan OnLine Edition where I can send emails, see pictures and get updates on the front lines. The links are great too! Oh! They accept my comments to their editorial section too.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I subscribe to the Star-Bulletin and to the Sunday Advertiser. However the Advertiser throws in the daily paper as well.

For the dailies I read the Star-Bulletin first and then read the Advertiser's comics and Island Life, if some major event is happening then I will read the Advertiser's news as well.

For Sundays the Advertiser is the better paper, at least for the TV guide.

Comment

One thing I miss from da sunday advert. is dave barry's column. Even tho the advertiser saw fit to chop it up to fit the alotted space, to the point many punchlines or points were rendered a dead end... I still miss seeing it in print. Now one must log onto herald.com every monday.

Comment

for me, the main differences are
                      1. Breadth - I think the Tiser has more stories on any given day.
                      2. Conservatism - Advertiser is vastly more cautious. (witness their refusal to run with Broken Trust.)
                      3. Writing - Bulletin's is livlier.
                      4. Columnists - Bulletin's way better.

Comment

We subscribe to both. I used to pick up the S/B on the way home, but I got tired of hunting for a vending machine when I couldn't find it at the usual one I passed, so now we get both (Daily and Sunday). Pearl Ridge Elementary's recycling dumpster is my friend!
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In a way having the Advertiser going back to a morning home delivered paper makes sense. Granted I don't wake up early enough to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by lorider
                            for me, the main differences are
                            1. Breadth - I think the Tiser has more stories on any given day.
                            2. Conservatism - Advertiser is vastly more cautious. (witness their refusal to run with Broken Trust.)
                            3. Writing - Bulletin's is livlier.
                            4. Columnists - Bulletin's way better.
                            I'll second that vote, and agree that we desperately need to keep two papers... or more!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                              (I still wish the Bulletin would get rid of those annoying pop-up ads on their website.)

pop ups!?
                              man, i been on dat site for a couple years. nevah wen see no pop ups....

(maybe safari eliminates them automatically...)

Comment

Working...
                              X