Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser sucks up to Michelle Wie

Originally posted by scrivener
    The normal rules of journalism don't really apply with most sports-reporting. Sports writers sorta walk a line between fandom and objectivity ...
    This is a good point. It's the same principle White House reporters are forced to work with. Piss off the people you're covering (e.g., GWB, June Jones, UH athletics in general, even Michelle Wie) and you'll never get the scoop again, let alone the really good story, interview, quote ... because you have to work *with* those absurdly powerful people.

Comment

Money where they moufs is. The Star-Bulletin sent a reporter to cover Wie, while the feelthy rich Agonizer sat at home and wasted pages on feel-good cheerleader ads.

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
        Money where they moufs is. The Star-Bulletin sent a reporter to cover Wie, while the feelthy rich Agonizer sat at home and wasted pages on feel-good cheerleader ads.

bulletin; hard workers all... local feel.

advertiser; not so much... won't slag da workers, but heyall; get mainland ownershop, Gannett i think... and too much mainland feel. no like...no like.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          bulletin; hard workers all... local feel.

advertiser; not so much... won't slag da workers, but heyall; get mainland ownershop, Gannett i think... and too much mainland feel. no like...no like.
          How do you about the work ethic of the bulletin and advertiser workers?

Do you work or have worked at either paper?

Just curious

Comment

Simple. The SB folks are the ones who ARE oppressed, the Agonizer folks are the ones who WHINE about being oppressed.

Comment

I love all the conspiracy theories on this site....folks with too much time on their hands. I suggested the ad and my market development folks did it. Not a lot of thought behind it other than a nice gesture to a good kid who has achieved a lot. No news involvement and certainly no influence on coverage.

As to the whole local thing, no ownership can stand close scrutiny. Despite token local investors, the major money behind the S-B is David Black and The Toronto Star of Canada. The major money behind THA is Gannett. Both papers employ a bunch of good local folks. So who's local and who's not? Same can be said of most companies in Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
                How do you about the work ethic of the bulletin and advertiser workers?

Do you work or have worked at either paper?

neither, nigh-ther, nor.
                Just my conspiracy theory

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
                  ....folks with too much time on their hands.

...it's nice living on a trust fund.

Comment

I love all the conspiracy theories on this site....folks with too much time on their hands. I suggested the ad and my market development folks did it. Not a lot of thought behind it other than a nice gesture to a good kid who has achieved a lot. No news involvement and certainly no influence on coverage.

As to the whole local thing, no ownership can stand close scrutiny. Despite token local investors, the major money behind the S-B is David Black and The Toronto Star of Canada. The major money behind THA is Gannett. Both papers employ a bunch of good local folks. So who's local and who's not? Same can be said of most companies in Hawaii
                    A genuine ad of true appreciation. Imagine that! And then to say that the papers are full of good local folks! Damn straight. And this said by a guy who paid ad rates! Mahalo Jeff for the reality check. (write me one? LOL!!)
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Nice to hear it from the horse's mouth!

(Green is the Advertiser's Senior Vice President-Advertising & Marketing, in case you didn't know.)

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Nice to hear it from the horse's mouth!
                        Indeed. I can't remember the last time I've seen a direct reply in any online forum regarding the Honolulu Advertiser. In fact, the silence was so deafening, from message boards to blogs, that I began to assume that there was some overarching Gannett policy prohibiting public comment of any kind... meaning that the folks at the Advertiser couldn't respond, even if they wanted to.

We rag on both daily papers here quite a bit, though there's definitely a tilt in favor of the Star-Bulletin... both in un-affiliated defenders and in active participants. I hope we'll hear more from Jeff and others.

Comment

Alas, Jeff Green is dissembling. Toronto Star's interest in David's Black's holdings is 20 percent, and if you divide that by the number of newspapers Black has, you see that Toronto Star's piece of Honolulu is infinitesmial.
                          Also, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin has several prominent local businesses and families who have invested into the paper for a piece of the action and are on the Star-Bulletin's board of directors. The Advertiser has .... none.

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
                            Alas, Jeff Green is dissembling. Toronto Star's interest in David's Black's holdings is 20 percent, and if you divide that by the number of newspapers Black has, you see that Toronto Star's piece of Honolulu is infinitesmial.
                            Also, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin has several prominent local businesses and families who have invested into the paper for a piece of the action and are on the Star-Bulletin's board of directors. The Advertiser has .... none.
                            I understand from a credible (so far) source that you work for the Star Bulletin. Is that true? Don't get me wrong. I read both the online editions of the Advertiser and SB every morning. That's how I get my Hawai'i news. Each paper has its pluses and minuses.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

> I suggested the ad and my market development folks did it.

hey. I want them to do that too, for me. I am thinking of a market to develop up nort' shore side. sumpin like a mom n pop thing...

> Despite token local investors,

I dunno if i would be so denigrating as to call them 'token investors"...

Comment

Forgot to mention that the Advertiser also went on a buying spree here a few years ago and bought up almost every small and community publication. Why? Their owners believe in scorched earth, not competition.

I read both papers too. With the competition, the news combo is a fabulous deal!

Comment

Working...
                                X