Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser sucks up to Michelle Wie

Originally posted by Miulang
    I understand from a credible (so far) source that you work for the Star Bulletin. Is that true? Don't get me wrong.
    Does having a Star-Bulletin paper route count? I had to quit when school started back up, but continued delivering the Advertiser in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
      I love all the conspiracy theories on this site....folks with too much time on their hands. I suggested the ad and my market development folks did it. Not a lot of thought behind it other than a nice gesture to a good kid who has achieved a lot. No news involvement and certainly no influence on coverage.

As to the whole local thing, no ownership can stand close scrutiny. Despite token local investors, the major money behind the S-B is David Black and The Toronto Star of Canada. The major money behind THA is Gannett. Both papers employ a bunch of good local folks. So who's local and who's not? Same can be said of most companies in Hawaii
      Folks with to much time on their hands??? I'm glad you spent your time reading this thread and responding to it. You to must have to much time on your hands.

Hey, I know a "good kid, who has achieived a lot" can she get a full page (or just a half page would be fine) ad too? What's the number to call for these type of ads?

Comment

These crass attempts to capitalize on local good will and attach oneself to truely talented people (like Wie) are typical of the Advertiser's barely concealed contempt for the local community. They view us as suckers and customers, not as citizens and neighbors.

And the Gannett suits are also undercutting the objectivity of their own (still excellent) reporting staff.

Imagine if Wie weren't a teenage golf star, and was instead a middle-aged female governor. Would the Agonizer run similarly fawning pieces of full-page puffery? The same rules of objectivity should apply to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
          I love all the conspiracy theories on this site........folks with too much time on their hands.
          was just thinkin about this.
          dunno about others, but when yer at work, editing video, and FCP tells ya rendering this segment will take 13 minutes, whadya do?
          Yes!
          of course.

Comment

Considering all the glory the 'Tizer was supposedly heaping on Wie, I wonder why they didn't send a writer for her first pro tournament. Dave Reardon was there to get the drama for us so we didn't have to use canned copy...

http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/17/news/story01.html

Comment

Yep... I think maybe da local media riding on da coat tails of Michelle's success. And da 'Tizer isn't the only one, just look around and see who else is doing it. I didn't see da program but I saw an advertisment promoting a half hour "special program" honoring Michelle on KGMB. Now you know, sales people probably went out to get big sponsorship for that program!!! Don't get me wrong, Michelle deserves all the 'ata girl's she can get, but I don't like to see da media folks ride on her coat tails.
              Say what you mean and mean what you say....

Comment

Working...
              X