X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Where in the heck is this place? Breaking news... New CITY in Hawaii?
    A typo in a breaking news piece? A developing story posted quickly online (and periodically updated as developments warrant) contained an error? For a few minutes, even? You don't say!

Comment

toooooo much time on their hands!!!! Call da boss!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I guess neither paper was having the greatest days today...

Both vehicles were traveling east on Ala Moan Boulevard toward Waikiki.
        Didn't know we had a Moan Blvd!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br09p.html

Comment

I always thought "Ala Moana Boulevard" was redundant anyway.
          Like saying "ATM machine" or "PIN number."

Comment

Aaaaaaand....cue kimo55! Take it!

Comment

Quote:
              Both vehicles were traveling east on Ala Moan Boulevard toward Waikiki.
              stew pee'd pepahz.
              errybody knows its
              ala mode blvd.

Comment

I guess neither paper was having the greatest days today...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br09p.html
                Haven't you HEARD?

@
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

But with all the traffic there it really should be Ala MOAN Blvd.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I dunno about Ala Moan Blvd., but I have been trying to figure out all day where Kailua Hawaii airport is.

The $29 fares are good for travel between Honolulu and Hilo, Hawai'i; Kailua, Hawai'i; Lihu'e, Kaua'i; and Kahului, Maui. Tickets must be purchased by tomorrow, and used anytime before Sept. 30.
                    I am sure the writer, Mary Vorsino must have meant the Keahole-Kona Airport on the Big Island. That is about what, 8 miles away from Kailua-Kona? Once upon a time there used to be an airport closer to Kailua-Kona.

What is the correct way to refer to Kailua on Oahu and Kailua-Kona on the Big Island? And the Keahole airport. State DOT website states Keahole-Kona International Airport.

This was in today's paper on the $29 Interisland Airfare War.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Honest to God, how could you NOT know where Kailua on the Big Island is? Who lives in Hawaii who is that ignorant?

Did whoever asked that really not know that there is a Kailua district on the island of Hawai?? Does that person live here?

TimKona is right: Schools aren't the problem. Voluntary ignorance is the problem.

Jeeeeezus.

Comment

Down, Maddie, Down!

And sheesh, Mary Vorsino files her story and a series of editors go over it. Maybe it's Adver-style to call it Kailua, Hawaii. In fact, I don't think I've recently seen Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, in a story.

Maddie, what's S-B style on KK, HI?

@
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          Down, Maddie, Down!
                          Sorry, I'm fed up with some people and taking it out on others, I guess!

And sheesh, Mary Vorsino files her story and a series of editors go over it. Maybe it's Adver-style to call it Kailua, Hawaii. In fact, I don't think I've recently seen Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, in a story.

Maddie, what's S-B style on KK, HI?

@
                          I think we call them "those white pointy-hooded motherf*****s."

Oh, wait. Oh. Sorry. KK? Um ... I could check, because I am in the newsroom right now, but I'm too lazy. So I will just say this: When I do the letters to the editor and other local columns, if someone is from Kona, we put "so and so from Kailua, Hawaii" at the end of the letter. Town name and island, is our style. But I am speaking ONLY for the letters/op-eds. I think city side might do it differently, but maybe not.

It seems to me that ... Oh, never mind! I'll either be biased or defensive if I try to justify it now. Let me check into it and get back to you, k?

Thank you, Gal, for pointing out that stories do go through editors, who often make many changes the writer would not necessarily agree with.

OK, I'll check into the Kailua-Kona thing .... be right back ...

Comment

OK, I asked one of the city editors what our style is on Kailua on the island of Hawaii. He said that generally it's referred to in stories as Kailua-Kona, but this editor pointed out that there is a part of that district that is properly known simply as "Kailua" (or "Kailua, Hawaii"), and so it is correct to refer to it thusly.

So maybe the airport is in the part that is properly "Kailua." Or the Advertiser has a different style. And now good Mary Vorsino works in that snake-pit and is subjected to their twisted imaginings of local journalism style. I don't know. The only reason I am posting this half-answer is because I feel that most of the folks on HT are buddies of mine, and this is a conversation, and I hope you all understand that when I get more information, I will post it. It's late and I'm tired, and the city desk is on deadline right now so I didn't want to bug them too much.

Does this make any kind of sense?

MadAzza
                            Last edited by MadAzza; July 31, 2006, 08:42 PM.

Comment

well it does to me, maybe because I used to do the same types of jobs in the Agonizer newsroom...

But I know about tired. Getting to bed at midnight and waking for my morning walk at 4:30 takes a lot out of me, so I'm gonna say moi-moi to all my HT friends.

Be careful out there on the road everyone.

@
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

so I'm gonna say moi-moi to all my HT friends.
                                you are going to say "white birthmark-white birthmark"?
                                bur why?!

Comment

Working...
                                X