Advertiser Circulation Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertiser Circulation Numbers

Anyone hear anything about the Tiser numbers taking a nosedive? Something about the latest circulation count by ABC taking longer than usual or something like that?

C'mon, somebody must know something. Tell PBN to get on the ball...or have Erika Engle chase it down. What's up?

Re: Advertiser Circulation Numbers

Wishful thinking. Our numbers remain strong and are actually up nicely on Friday and Saturday as a result of the "Weekend Warrior" program introduced last spring and positive subscriber reaction to the quality of our new press.

The auditor has been here a long time because, as a result of circulation irregularities at a number of mainland newspapers, audits have been intensified. We are not expecting any deductions or problems when he finally issues his report. Audit delays this year are common to nearly all ABC members.

Of course, as a semi free distribution newspaper....who actually pays for what's thrown over the fence or dumped in hotels and car dealers.....the Star Bulletin could not pass an ABC Audit and has chosen not to be a member....that's the real story.

Comment

Sir, can you possibly make your argument in a professional manner without taking cheap pot-shots at the competition?

On the Mainland, I can only compare the websites of the two papers - I check the Advertiser on a weekly basis (usually on Mondays, to check on entertainment articles), while I check the Star-Bulletin almost daily (for entertainment AND columns AND news.) The S-B website is much easier to navigate, and easier for finding archival material.

ADDED: At the time of my original post, I wasn't aware that sin is an S-B employee, so I guess this thread might have the potential to become a battle of the cheap-shots. In all fairness, folks, when commenting upon your competitors, don't you think it's incumbent upon you to disclose your affiliation? I expect these little indiscretions from those in politics, not in journalism (even if you are in advertising, you represent your media employer, and their integrity comes into question by your lack of clarity.)
      Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 25, 2006, 01:29 PM. Reason: previously unaware of sin's role

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
        Wishful thinking. Our numbers remain strong and are actually up nicely on Friday and Saturday as a result of the "Weekend Warrior" program introduced last spring and positive subscriber reaction to the quality of our new press.

The auditor has been here a long time because, as a result of circulation irregularities at a number of mainland newspapers, audits have been intensified. We are not expecting any deductions or problems when he finally issues his report. Audit delays this year are common to nearly all ABC members.

Of course, as a semi free distribution newspaper....who actually pays for what's thrown over the fence or dumped in hotels and car dealers.....the Star Bulletin could not pass an ABC Audit and has chosen not to be a member....that's the real story.

Whoa...simma down dere Jefe...no need to get so upset.

Sorry if I got my story wrong, I just thought there might be something to what I heard since it came from someone who works at the Advertiser.

Maybe you should post something on the bulletin board over there so your employees know what's going on.

Comment

Upfront -- I'm a Star-Bulletin employee, and naturally I'm curious about the circulation figures. After all, the Advertiser claimed what may be the largest overnight circulation jump in American newspaper history. That's an amazing feat, if true.

The mainland irregularities with ABC were a reason the Star-Bulletin decided on independent audits. The vice-president of Gannett's circulation, after all, is a power hitter on ABC's board. Apparently that is not viewed as a conflict of interest.

Whatever the circulation figures are, Gannett's repeated claim to local advertisers that the Star-Bulletin is on its last legs has proved untrue every time. The Star-Bulletin's percentage of local ad lineage is now over 50 percent of what the Advertiser brings in. The paper ain't going away.
          Last edited by buzz1941; January 26, 2006, 09:22 AM.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
          X