So what's up with the Weekly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

I went into Brown Shoe Repair Shop on Hotel Street today to pick up a pair of shoes I put in for repair yesterday. An old Asian guy named Peter and his wife were in there. $3 for my repairs. I don't know how they pay the rent. The place is ooogie, but he did a great job, he's cheerful, and as old as the building, I'm sure.
    Well, I was paging through HW today and there was a picture of the sign shaped like a boot that hangs outside the store. So I told Peter and his wife they were in the paper.
    It's one of those things the weekly does that I think the dailies should do more often. Point out the mom and pop holes in the walls, the old treasures that still provide service at a bargain. Just a quick hit of a story along side a photo, almost a story cutline. Don't need any more than that.

I love reading newspapers and I love watching local news. I am amused at the mistakes, we all are, but really, if I couldn't tear through a couple of papers a day I'd go crazy! TV news is fine, but I want ALL the details, and that's why I like to read the paper.

Again, HW in all its quirkiness, does add something to the mix.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I've said it before, but basically, every town needs a Honolulu Weekly. Plus a couple of dailies!
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        I've said it before, but basically, every town needs a Honolulu Weekly. Plus a couple of dailies!
        Have to agree with you there, Burl. The more voices, the more choices. In Seattle, we are fortunate to have two dailies, plus two "alternative" weeklies, and a pile of weekly/monthly community papers (even one for the Hawaiian community in the region. Yes, I write for it. That's mentioned for the sake of disclosure, not promotion.)

Comment

• Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

Apparently it's already farewell to Chris Haire. From Ian Lind's site this morning:

"Congratulations to Honolulu Weekly editor Chris Haire, who has accepted a postion as managing editor of the Charleston City Paper in Charleston, South Carolina, and will be heading north to the South sometime soon."

Wouldn't it be nice if they hired Ian Lind himself as the new Editor of HW?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Wouldn't it be nice if they hired Ian Lind himself as the new Editor of HW?
            A job with security!
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I think Ian wouldn't care for it. But Jdub, now that's another story!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                A job with security!
                Job security... at the Weakly? Shirley, you jest.

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                I think Ian wouldn't care for it. But Jdub, now that's another story!
                Yeah, Ian wouldn't stand for the infamous Weakly micromanaging he'd be subjected to. And Jamie's been there long enough to know about it, but maybe he's young enough to be able to live with it?

Comment

Job security... at the Weakly? Shirley, you jest.

Yeah, Ian wouldn't stand for the infamous Weakly micromanaging he'd be subjected to. And Jamie's been there long enough to know about it, but maybe he's young enough to be able to live with it?
                  Hmmm...Just came across this.

I've long had a special affection for the HW, going back to the first time I saw the name of my band in it back in the early 90s. While the thought of editing the HW is somewhat intriguing, I'm certain the demand on my time would be out of the question. After a year of 70-80 hour work weeks, I'm quite happy with a schedule that is now considerably more amenable to my nocturnal work and play habits than such a position could ever be.
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                    Hmmm...Just came across this.
                    Oh. I thought you'd seen it two weeks ago and that you had been laughing hysterically ever since.

While the thought of editing the HW is somewhat intriguing, I'm certain the demand on my time would be out of the question. After a year of 70-80 hour work weeks, I'm quite happy with a schedule that is now considerably more amenable to my nocturnal work and play habits than such a position could ever be.
                    Not to mention that the very low pay and the extreme micro-managing by the publisher (assuming she still does that) make the Editor job less than desirable.
                    But still. We thought having YOU as the Editor was "somewhat intriguing" too.
                    Heard any more scoops on when ol' Chris Haire is leaving town? I didn't look at today's issue to see if he's still on the masthead.

Comment

Come on, Jaimes...it'd be just like old times! You KNOW Karl V. would be down.

Comment

Mr. Carlson - welcome back to HT; how are things these days?

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post
                          Come on, Jaimes...it'd be just like old times! You KNOW Karl V. would be down.
                          Ha! Classic. I could just see him stalking the HW offices, creeping out the coed interns and hitting me up for an expense check. Or maybe making the Tuesday late night run to deliver the HW out on the North Shore. And yes, welcome back RC. I trust things are going well for you.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Went to L&L for lunch today and picked up today's issue of the Weakly. As usual, there were a few letters complaining about Chris Haire but lo and behold, his name has been removed from the masthead. And no bye-bye Chris Haire item from the publisher or anyone else. Just... vanished into the ether.
                            No more ads looking for a new editor either. Kawehi Haug is now listed as "senior editor" so maybe that'll be it?

Comment

• Ian Lind has lost his mind

Last week's issue (Sept. 26) was, um, interesting. The cover story was about how Waikiki has (GASP!) become commercialized.
                              Now there's some Breaking News.
                              But far more shocking was Ian Lind's article, now online at this link, where Ian absolutely BLASTS the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels as being "angels of death" and many other outrageous comments, including:
                              A Honolulu Star-Bulletin headline last week called the Navy jets’ scheduled appearance an “angelic return.” In my view, that’s a fitting image only if angels of death deserve the adjective “angelic.”
                              (...)
                              The realities of war. That’s really the flip side of the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels, the side that we’re discouraged from attending to. After all, these jets really have no other purpose than war. They don’t carry cargo, they have no utility for transportation. There aren’t any civilian uses of what they have to offer.
                              (...)
                              Their main purpose is to kill in time of war, and their use, even if and when considered “necessary,” is a sign of the failure of other important policies.
                              (...)
                              So enjoy the Blue Angels when they’re here to do their show next month, if you choose, but remember, in another part of the world, it’s another day and they are flying in anger, with intent to kill.
                              Ian says "these jets really have no other purpose than war"? Well DUH, they're war planes and yes, they kill. But Ian's column (and you really should click on the link and read the whole thing) makes it sound as if the U.S. jets kill people for fun, instead of remembering that their whole purpose is to defend us against our enemies... and that includes threatening and sometimes killing those enemies. And it's that very protection of our freedoms that allows people like Ian Lind and the Weakly to publish such incredible crap.
                              As expected, today's issue is full of letters complaining about Ian's article, including letters from self-admitted "liberals." Not surprisingly, not a single letter of support for his position.
                              The obvious question is... is Ian Lind getting senile?

Comment

• Re: Ian Lind has lost his mind

The obvious question is... is Ian Lind getting senile?
                                I don't think so. As a regular reader of his blog (as I know you are), it is quite clear he is anti-war and anti-military. As I mentioned in another thread a while back, it appears his belief system was formed during his college years in the 60s and it hasn't changed since then. The article from the HW was unusually virulent though - the closing sentence was bizarre in that he states the pilots of the jets are performing their missions in anger - sad to know that is what he believes.

Comment

Working...
                                X