Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    From Ian Lind's blog this morning:
    He likes us! He REALLY LIKES US!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      He likes us! He REALLY LIKES US!
      Yes, but will RJC resume posting to HT? He drew a few black-eyes in his brief time posting, but also seemed to be up for the challenges of defending his paper's work. I, for one, would be pleased to see him contribute to the discussions here once again.

Comment

An interestimg item in yesterday's Pacific Business News:

Honolulu Weekly names new editor

Ragnar Carlson, who formerly worked as a staff writer and later news editor at the paper from 2004 to 2005, replaces Mindy Pennybacker, an environmental journalist who took over the alternative newspaper's reins in January.
        Carlson is no relation to Honolulu Weekly Publisher Laurie Carlson.
        Since 2003, the Weekly, a free publication, has had at least four interim top editors and six permanent top editors.
        Ten editors in five years?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ten editors in five years?!?
          Hmm. Sounds a lot like the company that laid me off last year; revolving-door city.
          Carlson is no relation to Honolulu Weekly Publisher Laurie Carlson.
          As he enjoyed reminding us here on a number of occasions.

Comment

Hawaiian Island Journal is closing effective after next issue.Honolulu Weekly has owned and operated HIJ since 2005. I wonder what was the real reason for this sudden closure. I spoke to Peter recently, it sounded like things were going well ?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap.../BUSINESSFRONT
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Better link:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2008806110393
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

And from Ian Lind's blog today:

The Honolulu Advertiser reports today that this week’s issue of Hawaii Island Journal will be its last. The Journal was bought by Laurie Carlson’s Pacific Catalyst Publishing, which also publishes Honolulu Weekly, not too long ago, back in about 2005. I’ve been impressed by its content and, to tell the truth, it has appeared to land more advertising than Honolulu Weekly. What this signals about the company’s finances and the future of Weekly remains to be seen.
                HIJ signed up more advertising than the Weekly?!?

Comment

Ian Lind had another interesting comment in his blog this morning:

Pacific Business News followed up yesterday with a brief entry about the closing of Hawaii Island Journal. According to PBN:
                  Journal editor Peter Serafin told PBN that Carlson called him Monday about the paper’s closure but gave no reason for the shutdown.
                  “It came as a complete surprise,” Serafin said.
                  A phone call from the owner with the bad news? Wouldn’t that have at least warranted a flight to Hilo to break the news in person, despite the unpleasant circumstances? I’m sorry. At least Rupert Phillips showed up in the Star-Bulletin newsroom to announce his 1999 plan to close the paper. A phone call? Bad form.
                  Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    I wonder what was the real reason for this sudden closure. I spoke to Peter recently, it sounded like things were going well ?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap.../BUSINESSFRONT
                    I hate to speculate, but as the Honolulu Advertiser article makes clear, closing HIJ gives Stephens Media Group a monopoly of mainstream print media on the Big Island. As Hunter Bishop writes in his recent blog, the bias of these papers is already distorting political coverage.

Did Laurie Carlson make a deal with Stephens Media Group just in time for the 2008 Election? I doubt any enterprising news sleuth will investigate this.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

what eric and i find laughable about the weekly are the ads where the weekly inquires after experienced mac techs or cleaning people who would accept payment in free advertising for the weekly, with no other renumeration.

as to be expected, those ads have been running for weeks now.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Wow. New front page. What's up with the Weekly? Inquiring minds want to know!

Eh! And FUNNY on the NightShift column headline: "SUPER CW." I think I've heard that somewhere, ya know?!!!
                        Last edited by lavagal; August 27, 2008, 08:49 PM.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I looked at a copy after seeing your post. I like the new look. Looks a lot like Pacific Business News.
                          And I got a chuckle from the story on page 4 about the Waikiki Nei showroom problems. Talking about the construction, they wrote not once but twice about using a "boat wench."
                          A "wench" is a young woman, usually a servant, and a promiscuous woman. When used as a verb, "to wench" means to visit a prostitute.
                          I'm pretty sure they meant a boat wInch.

Comment

Also, remember when Ian Lind had a regular weekly column in the paper? But ever since he blogged a complaint in early June about the Weekly publisher notifying the staff of HIJ by phone that she was closing the paper, Ian's column has been missing from the Weekly.
                            Coincidence?

Comment

Also, remember when Ian Lind had a regular weekly column in the paper? But ever since he blogged a complaint in early June about the Weekly publisher notifying the staff of HIJ by phone that she was closing the paper, Ian's column has been missing from the Weekly.
                              Coincidence?
                              I THINK NOT!!!
                              Sounds like Ian through a winch at the...

Wonder why Ragnar isn't speaking up about the cover style?

Come ON! What's UP at the Weekly?
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                Wonder why Ragnar isn't speaking up about the cover style? ... Come ON! What's UP at the Weekly?
                                Anyone know if Ragnar is the same guy quoted way back in 2003 in this Ka Leo O Hawai‘i article?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X