So what's up with the Weekly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

>>>Chris Haire is a friend of mine and like my Webster's word of the day says, he ain't no fictioneer. God willing, y'all come to appreshate honesty and stop poking fun of him.
    <<<

If Haire is upset about scrutinism, it would be best that he get out of being an editor... journalism is not for the thin-skinned...

And now some "god" will make me appreshate (sic) honesty...

Hmmm. How 'bout integrity...

Has he come over an introduced himself to us? Come over and let us know where he's coming from?

Naw, he don't need to do that... He's "alternative" press, so ripping us over and shitting all over us "mainstream" press is what he does. This makes him "important." Someone who came into this market and was suddenly in the know...

It's all duly noted...
    Last edited by dick; March 11, 2006, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
      C'mon jdub.. there's an opening at the Bulletin for a features writer... checks clear there, too... And it's a union gig...

Hoho!

Like I said, they claim to be a "newspaper" yet take wild editorial stances in pretty much all the "stories" they print. Aside from Bev Keever's stuff (and the occasional Ian Lind thing...), I have yet to see anything of substance in the Weekly. Oh wait, I like Jdub's stuff, too..

but I digress...

Mostly freakout pap...

Differently? Hmmm. Maybe not editorialize most, if not everything?

Anti-Weekly?

I'm just anti-bad-journalism...
      I've been riding JDUB's ass about applying for a job at the SB for about a year now!!!! Come on DUDE! Get off your Irish duff, stubb your cigarette and get yer ass down there!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Dick and LikaNui, I think you bring up some interesting points about Chris Haire….Why the vitriol? Why the holier than thou attitude? My problem with him is his tone and his total lack of respect; he could certainly learn a thing or two from the people here. His piece on Bob Jones was inexcusable.

For a guy who’s only been here a couple of months, he sure has set out to endear himself to his fellow journalists in perhaps the dumbest manner possible….by flinging feces like he’s some monkey in a cage. Monkey see, monkey do, monkey has a monkey on his back.

A newspaper should be a platform for objective reporting and thoughtful discussion. In the world according to Haire, it’s about personal attacks and mockery. I am not a fan.

Comment

Having worked at the Weekly a half decade ago I can most certainly remember that they had to leave the College Walk offices even then, I am surprised they had this long to stay, I wonder if there are any office space at the business offices on Nimitz where AAA is located.

So what is going in its place yet another condo skyscraper?

Maybe there will be a revolving door literally at the new HW offices, inquiring minds would like to know.

They have a 15 year HW anniversary issue coming this summer.

Can anyone lead me to the HW article that blasts Bob Jones, I missed that.

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

Comment

>>>If Haire is upset about scrutinism, it would be best that he get out of being an editor... journalism is not for the thin-skinned...

And now some "god" will make me appreshate (sic) honesty...

Hmmm. How 'bout integrity...<<<

Abraham Lincoln once said, “Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” Chris Haire is like a coconut tree. If you keep shaking it, don't be surprised when the coconuts fall on your head.

I'm not sure what you meant about God and sick honesty, but if he was "upset about scrutinism" (did you mean scrutiny?) he wouldn't keep writing honestly and doing what he thought was the right thing. I'm sure that when Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, it wasn't popular with everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by GotChew
              don't be surprised when the coconuts fall on your head.
              Well, what I'm not surprised about is that you didn't answer the several questions in post #13 in this thread.
              Care to give it another shot, Chris? Er... I mean, GotChew...

And by the way, I was greatly amused by your audacity with the Abe Lincoln comparison.
              Last edited by LikaNui; March 14, 2006, 11:06 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

As someone who has been reading the Weekly and HT (longtime listener first time caller) for a loooooong time I thought I'd chime in. I don't get where its going lately and under the new editors. There was a point a year ago or so, when Lisa and Ragnar and Kawehi were there, when it seemed to be getting back to doing its job, covering its own stories instead of just bashing the other guys all the time. Now they seem to be going back to harping on what the other papers and shows are doign wrong rather than contributing anything themselves.

I agree that someone who just got to Hawaii should be more respectful of the way it works. I have been on vacation for a month or so, but the last one I saw was WEAK!

Comment

what betty said.

I notice years ago, da buggaz wuz like an ol school alternative rag, a lil like sunbums was. good articles on the last old blocks of Waikiki, and dat kine. Now, not so much at all li'dat.

Comment

Like Betty, I’ve been reading the Hon Weekly and Hawaii Threads for some time now and it seems the current discussion about the Weekly is constructive, for once, so I thought I’d add my two bits. You’re right, Betty and Kimo. The paper seems to moving in a direction that is less culture-driven (it used to be the place to find the eccentricities about Honolulu; the things other media outlets either ignored or didn't know about) and more soapbox-driven. The local voice seems to have been silenced, at least for now. And I don’t mean the native voice, I mean the independent voice that tells the stories other people don’t. The “news” is not news, it’s news analysis. It feels like the current staff isn’t giving their readers enough credit. We don’t need to be told every time other media screw up. We’re not stupid. We’re aware of the poor state of the media. How about making the point by reporting news without making the same mistakes that everyone else makes? THAT would be a great paper. You don’t get points for pointing out people’s flaws. You get points for raising the bar. At least that’s how I see things. I know there’s a place for media analysis and accountability and all that, but there’s also a place for reporting the news. It’s a good thing most of the Weekly is about entertainment. They do a fine job with that, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Katydid
                      We’re not stupid. We’re aware of the poor state of the media.
                      Really? Are "we"? Do tell!

Comment

Oh, what's that phrase about stones and glass houses? I was reading the new Weakly and one article in the news section just ended in what appears to be mid-sentence.

I've been wondering what the problem with the Weakly is and it might be more of a testiment to the ADHD attention spans of younger readers, many of who don't read in the first place. Is this an attempt to get those readers reading? Do they think they can mimic John Stewart and the Daily Showoff players and package that as a community paper? At the expense of their older readers? I doubt it.

Comment

LikaNui: I'm awfully flattered that you think I'm Chris Haire. Brother Haire, on the other hand, is probably not flattered to be mistaken for a fella who can do nothing better than him except for my stellar rendition of Folsom Prison Blues at the local karaoke joint. But Chris can sing it in Spanish.

Marshall: You underestimate younger readers. The readers of the dailies are older than the readers of alt-weeklies. Judging by the length of stories in alt-weeklies versus the length of stories in the dailies, who's got ADHD? Shee-yah. Younger readers are more discriminating than older folks when it comes to where they get their news. I'd guess that more indy-paper readers look for info on-line (and know the difference between a web address and an email address) than do daily paper readers. That's my wooden nickel's worth. And what you said about the story that ends in the middle of a sentence, must be the editors have ADHD.

Comment

Originally posted by GotChew
                            Marshall: You underestimate younger readers. The readers of the dailies are older than the readers of alt-weeklies. Judging by the length of stories in alt-weeklies versus the length of stories in the dailies, who's got ADHD?
                            1. Because the stories are long, that means your "younger readers" are reading them all the way to the end? The same "younger readers" who insist on writing "u" instead of "you" in e-mails because they're too lazy to type the extra two letters? Ho-kay ...

2. The dailies do run longer stories, as well as shorter ones.

Younger readers are more discriminating than older folks when it comes to where they get their news.
                            (falling on the floor LMFAO)

Comment

Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

Originally posted by MadAzza
                              (falling on the floor LMFAO)
                              Same here, Maddie! And let's also point out that quite often the dailies run articles that are so in-depth that they have to continue them over several days, something the weeklies never do. So who has ADHD now?
                              (And I note the fact that Gotchew still didn't answer my earlier questions.)
                              As for that earlier Weakly story that ended with an unfinished sentence, it happened again in this week's issue. Page 5, article on Rent Control, last sentence reads """If it was just the tenants going up against the (owners of Kukui Gardens), they could kick up some
                              And POOF the article ends just like that.
                              The Weakly keeps running ads to hire a proofreader and they surely do need one. But editor Chris Haire is ultimately responsible for checking the galleys before they go to the printer. He needs to spend more time being an actual editor instead of desperately and misguidedly trying to write more column inches than the rest of the staff combined. They need to find an editor who can actually, you know, multi-task. Probably can't blame Madam Publisher, who is undoubtedly busy running her new little paper on the Big Island and/or planning her next annual trip to France and Italy.
                              Try reading the first two letters in this week's issue to see how some of the Weakly readers are responding. The first notes that the Weakly has become "suffocating and insulting to the reader who is seeking quality journalism" and refers to its "drama and high-handed tone" and they finish off by writing "This paper's chronic attempt at being trendy and hip really just comes off as rude, superficial and pretentious. Sadly, its readers are likely to end up with a sense of disappointment and deflation, rather than empowerment and fulfillment."
                              And that's not the only critical letter. The hits keep on coming.
                              Last edited by LikaNui; March 25, 2006, 07:22 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Wow. Ouch, huh?

Still, good for them for printing the critical letters. Unless of course they were staff-generated and printed for the specific purpose of engendering sympathy or praise for their "courage" to print them, etc.

Cynical? Moi?

I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X