So what's up with the Weekly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

I like rap...maybe im just young enough to remember Sugar Hill as a child, and yet lovin Dre, FiftyCent, Usher, Queen Latifah, and everybody in between.

And yet, when I'm drivin in the early mornin, or workin in the shop, I like Alabama & George Jones.

But when I'm resting I like Brahms & Mozart.

And when I'm partying on New Years Eve I want Prince, followed by good old Metallica. Hooray for thrash metal & punk.

Don't forget to change the radio station all the time.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I think a lot of what people are referring to here as "rap" is actually "hip hop," most of which is boring as day-old toast. Rap at least tends to have a point. Big, heavy bass substitutes for a lack of creativity and originality for a lot of hip hop artists. Whatever floats yer boat, man.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        I like rap...maybe im just young enough to remember Sugar Hill as a child, and yet lovin Dre, FiftyCent, Usher, Queen Latifah, and everybody in between.[...]
        Okay...I'll admit to being a huge Queen Latifah fan but not when she's wearing her rap hat. That broad is the epitome of cool...at least to this ol' broad who is twice her age!

And, I'll admit to turning down a casting gig for a video featuring the Doc and the Snoopcatt. Sometimes my conscience plays havoc with my bank account!

Back on topic: In order to find time to read the Weekly I'd have to give up reading HT. Let's see...Weekly? HT? Weekly? HT? No contest!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          I think a lot of what people are referring to here as "rap" is actually "hip hop," most of which is boring as day-old toast. Rap at least tends to have a point. Big, heavy bass substitutes for a lack of creativity and originality for a lot of hip hop artists. Whatever floats yer boat, man.
          Here's an interesting definition.

My oldest daughter was into hip hop for close to 15 years. Now she blasts Andrea Bocelli! Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus!

Back on topic: My daughter will be here in a couple of weeks. I'll give her a copy of the Weekly to take home with her!

Comment

I pretty much check the weekly only for the Pritchett cartoon and once in a while the political or media commentary. That's about it.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              My daughter will be here in a couple of weeks. I'll give her a copy of the Weekly to take home with her!
              What kind of bird does she have?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                What kind of bird does she have?
                A turkey!

Comment

I think several posts back there, somebody hit on the real problem with the Weekly: there aren't enough stories.
                  I think having a media watch column is a good idea, but not the way it's currently written. There has to be more balance and insights. It doesn't seem as if Haire has any inside contacts other than visiting this site or Ian Lind's. I'd like to see him analyze contract negotiations, the impact of Blangiardi's departure on Moore's ratings, etc. Instead, we've got a guy poring over every story, waiting to say, "Gotcha!" That's fine, but sometimes things aren't what they seem. And I don't think the guy invests enough time in trying to dig.
                  As for the guy not responding here, I'm sure he'd prefer we respond on his turf (i.e., the Weekly's letters section). Still, the best advice is the one our preschool teachers gave us: If the guy annoys you, just ignore him.

Comment

Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

A new thread about (c)rap music is posted here in the Jukebox section of HT.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

Originally posted by timkona
                      Did the Weekly buy the Hawaii Island Journal?

The quality of the HIJ has dropped considerably since Lane Wick left.
                      I've been reading the HIJ for years (since it was the Ka'u Landing) and am quite pleased with the direction in recent months. In what ways, specifically, has the quality dropped?

Comment

• Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

This is ridiculous. In Ian Lind's blog today he writes:

"What's going on? Now Honolulu Weekly editor Chris Haire has been threatened in a email warning "you're going to get your ass kicked.":
                        Hawaii is not a place to make enemies. You'd better lay low, and watch your back. You can't mess with the locals, bruddah. Someone's gonna take revenge on you.
                        "Haire is trying to figure out who might be behind the threat. I just advised him to file a police report."

I hope Chris has already done that. I'm clearly no fan of his, but I hope like hell that they catch the idiot and prosecute the hell out of whoever it was.

That being said, there's a very faint tickle in my feeble mind that says this might all be a publicity ploy, but I'll shelve that idea until it's proven otherwise.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          That being said, there's a very faint tickle in my feeble mind that says this might all be a publicity ploy, but I'll shelve that idea until it's proven otherwise.
                          Funny, I briefly thought the same thing, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not that foolish --- this can't be an easy thing to be dealing with. Living in fear of harm is NOT an acceptable price to pay for being a public figure.

Comment

If Haire were really threatened, then the goon is an idiot and should be prosecuted.
                            If Haire were threatened . . .
                            But something doesn't seem right. Threatented by e-mail? Is the guy an idiot? Isn't that like writing a hold-up note on personal stationery? "Gee, Columbo, how will we solve this mystery . . . ?"
                            And when someone's threatened, the first thing to do is call Ian Lind. He's secretly a crimefighter.
                            How come the goon has a local tone with the "bruddah" line? This reads like every bad surf movie, where the locals are portrayed as thuggish. C'mon, Susan Smith, that ain't right.
                            A mok wouldn't threaten by e-mail. A mok would pound him, then tell him to knock it off.

Comment

Wasn't me. I'd make Haire listen to hip-hop with the bass turned up through blown speakers instead of kicking his ass.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
                                If Haire were really threatened, then the goon is an idiot and should be prosecuted.
                                If Haire were threatened . . .
                                But something doesn't seem right. Threatented by e-mail? Is the guy an idiot? Isn't that like writing a hold-up note on personal stationery? "Gee, Columbo, how will we solve this mystery . . . ?"
                                And when someone's threatened, the first thing to do is call Ian Lind. He's secretly a crimefighter.
                                How come the goon has a local tone with the "bruddah" line? This reads like every bad surf movie, where the locals are portrayed as thuggish. C'mon, Susan Smith, that ain't right.
                                A mok wouldn't threaten by e-mail. A mok would pound him, then tell him to knock it off.
                                I read "a mok" and I thought you were speaking of a filipino phenomenon (as in, running amok) ... but then I realized you meant "moke."
                                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X