Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So what's up with the Weekly?

Originally posted by Middleman
    And when someone's threatened, the first thing to do is call Ian Lind. He's secretly a crimefighter.
    Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum...

CATMAN!!!

(sorry, that line had me filled with visions of Ian and his furry feline friends striking fear into the hearts of Kaaawa criminals.)

seriously though, terroristic threatening is no laughing matter. hopefully haire called HPD and they put Cybercrimes Detective Chris Duque on the case. he's the best they have for that sort of thing. and yes, i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here...

Comment

A threat or a warning? Could be read either way.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I try to be objective. I'm always saying we should allow others to have their say. But the threat on Haire? Gimme a break. The only person who would utter a line like, "You can't mess with the locals, bruddah," is Dog the Bounty Hunter's wife. From the two episodes I've seen, she doesn't even keyboard. Like I said before, only an idiot would threaten someone by e-mail. If -- IF!!! --someone threatened Haire, then he should be able to figure it out. He's an investigative journalist, no?

Comment

He's an investigative journalist, no?
          Uh...... No?

Comment

so i pick up the latest issue.
            (yes. there are other types of "issues" in existence more than what we now call, what was previously naturally referred to as 'problems' or 'concerns'...)

and this more and more mainland slanted rag seems to be gently but expeditiously lowering itself into the abyss;

scatological references.
            equating a high standard of humor with "southpark"
            ("well, it's not southpark, but it made me laff")
            an allusion of fantasizing about a local TV newscaster personality wearing "assless chaps".

wow. I yearn for the HonWeekly i knew of even, say... 4 years ago.

(how does one wash one's eyes and brain out with soap now?)
            Last edited by kimo55; June 15, 2006, 12:58 AM.

Comment

I find the complaint that the Weekly has become too mainland-ish ironic coming from some of the people who post in this forum. In Hawai‘i, aloha is a value that we hope is pervasive, or at least that’s what we say directly or indirectly through our words, both in forums like this or via various media outlets. What does make Hawai‘i more like the mainland is when people fail to uphold these standards by their own actions—then there is that much less aloha left.

Some of you made a big leap from criticism to character-bashing earlier in this thread. You may not like Chris Haire, and you may not like the Weekly—does that mean you can’t spare a little dignity and compassion? If you received a threat, how would you feel if people you didn’t even know were publicly implying that you made it up and laughing about it? Your actions say a lot about your own character, and those actions are not in line with the kind of place we say we want Hawai‘i to be.

Comment

Of course Haire made up the threat. And worse, he tried to portray the threat as some local/newcomer beef. The only person Haire annoyed personally is Burl, and whatever anyone might think of Burl, he's not dumb enough to threaten anyone by e-mail. Burl would rather poke fun of Haire in a public forum. If Haire were really threatened, he should call the police or buy a dog. Or be like any real journalist and make a printout, hang it on his office wall and consider the threat a badge of honor. But don't whine. Or worse, don't have people whine for him.

Comment

Originally posted by clo
                  I find the complaint that the Weekly has become too mainland-ish ironic coming from some of the people who post in this forum.
                  well, it's not ironic. No matter the source.
                  I have seen local weekly rags through many decades here. And the view of the current incarnation of the weekly is; it resembles a mainland freebie.
                  In Hawai‘i, aloha is a value that we hope is pervasive, or at least that’s what we say directly or indirectly through our words, both in forums like this or via various media outlets.
                  and the weekly media outlet is decidely devoid more and more of this trademark HVCB packaged "aloha apparition. I mean ghost. I mean spirit"
                  Of course Haire made up the threat. And worse, he tried to portray the threat as some local/newcomer beef. The only person Haire annoyed personally is Burl, and whatever anyone might think of Burl, he's not dumb enough to threaten anyone by e-mail. Burl would rather poke fun of Haire in a public forum.
                  and no matter what you think of Burl, you don't know him if you assume he would get angry. much less an anger to that level. He might feel a lil hurt and then, yes, poke fun. I don't see Burl threatening ANYone. via email or otherwise.

Comment

• Re: So what's up with the Weakly?

Originally posted by clo
                    In Hawai‘i, aloha is a value that we hope is pervasive, or at least that’s what we say directly or indirectly through our words, both in forums like this or via various media outlets.
                    You'd be far better off to explain that to your own editor Chris Haire, who has shown zero aloha in his nonsensical attacks on other media and individuals.
                    Wrongly attacking Burl as your cover story shows aloha... how?
                    People who live in glass houses...

Some of you made a big leap from criticism to character-bashing earlier in this thread.
                    See my comment above, about Burl. Also see countless other character-bashing reports in your Weakly paper.
                    Who's bashing whom?
                    What is this -- do as you folks at the Weakly say but not as you do?

You may not like Chris Haire, and you may not like the Weekly—does that mean you can’t spare a little dignity and compassion?
                    How much dignity and compassion did Haire show to Burl (and countless others)?
                    I offer my compassion to puppies and to small children in pain and to the families of our armed forces, etc. But for a journalist to whine and beg for compassion after they've been publicly spanked is ludicrous.
                    Can't stand the heat, get out of the proverbial kitchen.

If you received a threat, how would you feel if people you didn’t even know were publicly implying that you made it up and laughing about it?
                    Jeez, Catherine, go back and read the messages again! We said we were giving him the benefit of the doubt. For now. But based on his track record, we certainly have a legitimate right to at least entertain the notion that the so-called threat was questionable.
                    The threat was not mentioned in the Weakly. You might suggest to Chris or Laurie that there be a published weekly update on the investigation. Give your readers something to prove there really was an incident, other than Haire whining about it in e-mail.
                    Which brings up the point that Haire has written publicly that he reads HawaiThreads... any particular reason he can't speak up here for himself???

Your actions say a lot about your own character, and those actions are not in line with the kind of place we say we want Hawai‘i to be.
                    Gettin' kinda preachy there, aren't ya? Making generalized assumptions about the character of all HT participants is kind of, you know, Haire-like.
                    Last edited by LikaNui; June 16, 2006, 02:39 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

hey it was probably Kurt Sanburn.

Comment

I see chris haire has a problem with Malia Zimmerman.

There was quite a long drawn out slam against her in this weeks Weakly.

Don't have a weekly in my hand now... however, if someone else can post... would be cool... if no one has by toomorow... I'll post the quote when I get another copy.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          Don't have a weekly in my hand now... however, if someone else can post... would be cool... if no one has by toomorow... I'll post the quote when I get another copy.
                          if someone else can post the quote, don't do it. That's copyright infringement. look. go thru the trouble of picking up a copy and reading it. Scan it now and then. once in a while ya learn of a cool restaurant or bar and their current specials... some news tidbit ya may not get elsewhere.
                          support the source. Don't get people used to picking up the weekly from a few quotes on HT. t'aint fair.
                          The Zimmerman rant is label heavy. It's entertaining. it's long and you should read it for yerself. it's one side of a many sided interesting tempest in a teapot. It's the kinda thing they put in papers to help 'sell the paper' so pick it up. and read it.
                          I may not be 100% behind the direction the weekly has gone and how it appears as opposed to what i knew it as years ago, but goldern it. many hard working local businesses advertise in it. (money they coulda spent eslewhere) and many local hard working journalists hope you read what they created.
                          so get yer own copy, anyone who is the least bit interested. and peruse it.
                          Last edited by kimo55; August 3, 2006, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I did read it... I forgot to bring it home with me... I get it on my desk at work!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              I see chris haire has a problem with Malia Zimmerman.

There was quite a long drawn out slam against her in this weeks Weakly.
                              I stopped reading it when I saw the overused, meaningless term "mean-spirited," which every idiot uses nowadays as an ignorant, emotional, illogical replacement term for "person I disagree with."

Like someone is supposed to shudder when so designated by some crybaby. Please.

Not everyone you disagree with is "mean-spirited," kids. And by "kids" I mean "Chris Haire."

Malia Zimmerman isn't even a journalist; why is Haire bothering with her? Maybe because it gives him an opportunity to self-righteously preen for his audience of easily impressible 20-year-olds? Whatever works, I guess.

Comment

Disclosure: I've not read the piece in question.

Perhaps Mr. Haire/The Weekly has chosen to pick up the late Bob Rees' "attack monkey" MO?

(Okay that's a reference to a years-ago, quite public feud between the Star-Bulletin and Rees. Dave Shapiro, then with the Bulletin, wrote something referring to Rees as one of "The Weakly's" "trained attack monkeys.")

I worked at PBN at the time -- as did Malia and many other reporters who are now at other publications -- and we ALL loved reading each new installment of the feud, while it lasted.
                                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X