Trouble at the Tribune-Herald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble at the Tribune-Herald

Nope. That doesn't qualify. Dudley is really a photographer, and everyone knows photographers are just different. What makes them great is what makes them flunk psychological exams.
    By "tough," I'm speaking of the posters who try to portray a not-in-my-house aggressiveness, at least online. Print journalists aren't that way in person. It doesn't mean they're weak or wimpy. Not at all. It means that if they stepped away from their keyboards and acted that way in real life, they wouldn't be too intimidating. Not too many folks are turning their lunch money over to print journalists.
    Only one would demand that respect.
    Mad rocks!
    On to more pressing matters. Is there a way to help out the Tribune? Should we organize something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
      By "tough," I'm speaking of the posters who try to portray a not-in-my-house aggressiveness, at least online. Print journalists aren't that way in person. It doesn't mean they're weak or wimpy. Not at all. It means that if they stepped away from their keyboards and acted that way in real life, they wouldn't be too intimidating. Not too many folks are turning their lunch money over to print journalists.
      We get it, we get it. Enough already about your bruised ego; yeah, yeah, we're all a bunch of big meanies when we hide behind our computers, because we use phrases like "slapped down" - and naturally, that means that we are threatening you with physical violence, rather than just using it as an analogy. Give it a rest.

Comment

Wait a minute.
        I got C.L. Dudley and F.L. Morris mixed up. My apologies to C.L. and crazy daredevil photographers everywhere.
        I need to clarify one other thing. Clerks are way tougher than full-time print journalists.

Comment

Clerks are way tougher than full-time print journalists.
          Now, THAT made me laugh; good on ya, Middleman.

Comment

I need to clarify one other thing. Clerks are way tougher than full-time print journalists.
            WTF!? Eh, you need to clarify a bit moa! Wat da hell you talking bout now?

Talk Orange - Orange. Talk Apple - Apple.

WHACK! WHACK!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
              we're all a bunch of big meanies ... Give it a rest.
              Interesting the way Gannett Advertiser people want people to think of themselves as hapless victims of the big mean Star-Bulletin. Very KarlRovian.

Chris Dudley's nickname around the office was Dangerboy. He actually was badly injured when gored in the head by a bull. He's also a kickass country folkie musician.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                Interesting the way Gannett Advertiser people want people to think of themselves as hapless victims of the big mean Star-Bulletin.
                And to be very clear for the couple of folks who don't know, I'm not affilliated with the Adv, the S-B, the HW, or any other Island-based newspaper. But I do have my preferences.

Comment

I didn't accuse anyone of being "big and mean," and certainly didn't point to anyone from any daily newspaper or weekly. In fact, I indicated the opposite.
                  All I said was we should treat all posters and opinions with courtesy.
                  Seems like a fairly simple concept, as well as good manners.
                  I still stand by my other statement: Mad rocks!
                  And I think we should all figure out a way to show support for the Tribune employees. Any suggestions?

Comment

IAnd I think we should all figure out a way to show support for the Tribune employees. Any suggestions?
                    yeah start another newspaper for this town, hire all of the tribune operations staff and let Maddie be the Editor in Chief so we can get some decent reporting here.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[QUOTE=buzz1941]Very KarlRovian.

Dammit, now them's fightin' words! Put 'em up, Big Burl!

Hey, I might not be the best one to suggest this, especially since I called BB a hypocrite a couple of days ago, but aren't we wasting valuable cyberspace here with staff-on-staff smackeroos? Why not share with others what we usually talk about when HA&SBers get together: the myriad ways in which our respective bosses suck donkeys. If some people would stop broadbrushing HA staffers as mindless, sell-out, Stockholm Syndrome-afflicted drones, you might hear a few interesting stories from behind the asylum-green doors. We've certainly heard some good ones offline from those who don't have a taste for Canadian Kool-Aid.

Comment

By "tough," I'm speaking of the posters who try to portray a not-in-my-house aggressiveness, at least online. Print journalists aren't that way in person.
                        Yes, because you know every last print journalist in town, and can vouch for their tendencies and personalities.

What a crock.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          And to be very clear for the couple of folks who don't know, I'm not affilliated with the Adv, the S-B, the HW, or any other Island-based newspaper. But I do have my preferences.
                          It would have been easier if you had left up the location tag next to your name... no be scared...

Comment

Getting back to the business at hand. I had lunch with Hunter just weeks before his firing and learned that he was being harassed by the editor at the HT for his union business. It's the only union paper in town and the third in the state -- which is something the editor doesn't like. Why? I'm not sure, except that if you bust a union, you can start cutting salaries and saving money and maybe put some money in your pocket down the road. But it was one of the few papers that pays enough for a journalist to live on, maybe buy a small house, raise a family, get to know the community, and write some good stories. Good journalism is not what they want, but bigger profits. And all that at the expense of the people of the BI. They also own the Kona paper....so you've got a little monopoly there. And where else do advertisers have to go? All good things come to an end and the heyday of the HT is pau. I grieve for the BI and HT readers and hope that Dave and Hunter do well doing something else -- maybe starting an alternative weekly of their own there. The people of Hilo deserve another voice. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Kawika
                              All good things come to an end and the heyday of the HT is pau. I grieve for the BI and HT readers and hope that Dave and Hunter do well doing something else -- maybe starting an alternative weekly of their own there. The people of Hilo deserve another voice. Peace.
                              Actually I've seen Hunter Bishop writing articles for the Hawaii Island Journal.
                              http://hawaiiislandjournal.com/. Nice to see him back.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

hunterbishop.com - Published daily in Pahoa, Hawaii
                                Originally posted by iLind.net
                                There's a new Hawaii blog worth checking out, this one written by former Hawaii Tribune Herald reporter and Newspaper Guild activist Hunter Bishop.

Comment

Working...
                                X