Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star-Bulletin to End Neighbor Island Distribution

Today's Ilind.net July 15, 2004 - Thursday

The management of the Star-Bulletin has decided to pull the plug on neighbor island distribution of the newspaper starting next month, coincidentally the same time the Advertiser's new press takes over all printing chores.

One newsroom source comments: " The move seems to make a lot of sense from an operational standpoint but it's also a marketing headache. The only appropriate headline is "Star-Bulletin drops neighbor islands". Talk about a snub and a loss for the community."

So we're back to where things were under the old Joint Operating Agreement in which only the Advertiser got regular statewide distribution. It will now be the only Hawaii newspaper to be able to claim a statewide presence.

Another person in the S-B newsroom had a short comment on the lack of institutional memory in the case of Laurence Rockefeller:

Remember that we have no archives earlier than the beginning of the online edition, and that the advertiser makes it difficult for us to access what was left behind.

Although the "new" Star-Bulletin has the temporary right to copy the archive maintained by Gannett's Advertiser, it has not exercised that right. And it's a limited right that expires relatively soon, I believe. At that point, reporters who want historical context will have to stand in line at the State Library's microfilm files.

Re: Star-Bulletin to End Neighbor Island Distribution

That's too bad for us here on the neighbor islands. I guess it'll have to be the Advertiser alone since the Hilo Tribune is about the size of the Honolulu Weekly. I guess it's too late for SB to realize that since I've moved to the Big Island in the Kea'au area, there's a lot of ex-Honoluluans moving here. Practically everyone I've had the pleasure of talking to have indicated they've just moved here from Oahu.

With excellent housing pricing here in Kea'au and interest rates still a good bargain, a lot of us have decided that heck we can actually use the downpayment monies for a half-million dollar Oahu/Kauai/Maui/Kona home and sink it in to a complete custom-built massive home here in Kea'au and live comfortably in a home that would cost upwards of $800,000 to $1M on Oahu with no mortgage and the ability to retire 20-years early! And I'm not talking Hicks or Honsidor homes. Custom built double-wall stucco exterior, concrete foundations, designer interiors all Kohler plumbing good enough for curb appeal in Kahala. Just gotta live with catchment and satellite for my area, but hey, no sewer fees!

When reading the Tribune I wonder how many Hiloans realize the bias in their articles. Even the two Honolulu rags offer differing angles on the same stories such as today's headlines in both papers: Honolulu Advertiser - Brushfires make a big comback meanwhile the Star Bulletin - Rain keeps brush fires' pace in check. The Advertiser focused on the fires that have broken out at various locations and the reasons why with one mention in part of one paragraph on the weather while the SB centered it's storyline almost entirely on the rainy weather lately.

Meanwhile absolutely no mention of the fires at all in the Tribune. Tribune headline: Deluge of spigots: thats the water valves that some residents on catchment systems use to fill their 1-gallon jugs to 100-gallon trailer mounted plastic tanks with water from adjacent fire hydrants.

Okay localized stories only, but because of that, neighbor islanders are totally in the dark when it comes to whats happening to 80% of the state's population. It makes places like Hilo even more isolated when it comes to local events from business to politics to even the UH's dorm problems (not mentioned either). There's definately a void in information here on the Big Island and I gladly pay the extra 25-cents ((75-cent daily) for either paper.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What an awful decision. It cedes completely any authoritative "Hawaii" (statewide) voice, turning the paper into merely a (not the) Honolulu publication. With no neighbor island distribution, will there be no neighbor island bureaus, writers, or even reasonable efforts to cover stories outside O`ahu? Even the local TV stations give a second or two to the neighbor islands now and then. I guess the Star-Bulletin might just end up relying on Associated Press reports and stuff borrowed from other sources to tell us what's happening in Kihei or Hilo.

I suppose it's not economical to attempt residential distribution, but why not even attempt token retail distribution, piggybacking on other deliveries to supermarkets, convenience stores or gas stations?

I lived in Hilo, but relied on both the Honolulu dailies to remain sane. The Tribune-Herald is fine for what it is, but it isn't much.

This doesn't bode well for the Star-Bulletin's future, in my mind, and I'm a paying subscriber. It sure isn't growth and strenghtening we're seeing with this move.

Comment

A side effect of this move is that the Star Bulletin could not do legal notices. I don't know if that side of the business was making money or not for the paper.

Comment

Ian Lind notes official confirmation in the Pacific Business News. While 15,000 copies of the Honolulu Advertiser go to the neighbor islands, the Star-Bulletin was sending only 1,600. At those volumes, it's throwing money away to maintain a distribution network. As to my question about coverage:
          Despite leaving the neighbor island markets, Francis said the Star-Bulletin will continue to operate bureaus on Maui and Kauai and in Kona on the Big Island.
          And I guess the people covered can still read it all online. Still, it's too bad. Helen, I do imagine you're right about eligibility for statewide government notices, too.

Comment

I was buying the Star-Bulletin semi-regularly from stores and vending machines. I'll probably have to subscribe now. And it should maintain a bureau in Hilo, the seat of Hawaii County.

Comment

I hope others will subscribe to or otherwise support the Star-Bulletin.

Comment

I asked the SB if they would deliver a subscription via mail to me in Kea'au. They said they cannot. I guess its just online for me. Too bad because online doesn't get you everything print delivers.

I guess that'll affect neighbor isle deliveries of Midweek as well.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  A side effect of this move is that the Star Bulletin could not do legal notices. I don't know if that side of the business was making money or not for the paper.

As you speak I was glancing through today's (7/16/04) SB Business section and right below the "bargain corner" is this large notice: Visit Honolulu Star-Bulletin's website for the electronic version of the Hawaii State & County Government notices..."

Then on the following page another large notice: Calling all coupon users! Free "online" printable coupons from your favorite local businesses...Visit starbulletin.com and click on www.ecouponsHawaii.com "it's a coupon worth using"

Prepping us for the eventual I guess.

Comment

On the Channel 2 news last night, it was noted that while the Star Bulletin will cease distributing the paper to the neighbor islands, they will still maintain their neighor island news bureaus.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      On the Channel 2 news last night, it was noted that while the Star Bulletin will cease distributing the paper to the neighbor islands, they will still maintain their neighor island news bureaus.
                      /snark

Bureaus? Is that one stringer per island?

/end snark

Seriously, this is dismaying, as pzarquon said. Obviously I don't know any details, but it appears to be a complete relinquishing of those markets to the Advertiser. That's a shame. Time for the "Save Our Bulletin" folks to ramp back up.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                        Time for the "Save Our Bulletin" folks to ramp back up.
                        I'm ready! My daughter was probably one of the youngest members (she made the front page!), and I'm sure she's now grown up enough to make some waves of her own!

Considering the community support they have, I've never understood why they didn't have an official bumper sticker or something. All I've got is a Star-Bulletin shirt that was designed for the staff, and it's pretty faded now. Something about the Star-Bulletin connects with folks the way the other paper never will... and it's a pity they're not harnessing that strength.

Comment

Anyone know how we can get a Save the Star-Bulletin chapter going? And why won't they have mail subscriptions?

Comment

A few pooints...

1. It seems that the "Save Star Bulletin" effort from a few years ago has not really translated into subscribers and possibly advertisers. However I have noticed that the advertisers have a slightly increased presence over the time when Black first took over the paper.

2. The reason most likely why neighbor island subscriptions will not be accepted is the probable fact that in order to make subscriptions affordable, the paper will have to get a second class permit and meet certain minimum amounts in terms of delvering many copies to different islands and zip codes. They probably could offer subscriptions on a first class mail basis, but I am quite sure that cost will be quite high and most people will not want to subscribe.

That is just my speculation on this matter.

It would seem and as noted in previous posts that Star Bulletin is gearing up to be more of a web newspaper in order to keep readers on the neighbor islands... of course it is much easier to take the real paper to the bathroom with you for reading material vs. lugging your laptop or palm device.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Maybe the Star-Bulletin could cut deals with local papers around the islands to supply Honolulu content in return for some ad space. Your favorite Bulletin features like Erika's column could then appear in the Garden Isle and West Hawaii Today and the Maui News and so forth.

Comment

Working...
                              X