Dumb column names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dumb column names

You gotta rememeber people read columns for mainly one reason: to be entertained. Even the news on TV is more entertainment rather than information. Dan Rather said that and I believe it. So when columns become too informative rather than entertaining, people tune out. If they want information they'll go to the story in Section A instead of reading someone's opinion or observation. Why do you think TV news has adopted that news magazine philosophy with all those cliche's like Action News, Weather Tracker, it's a grab on your attention. Just like Dumb column names: The Goddess Speaks. That's so arrogant it makes you want to read it just to see how arrogant she really is!

If I wanted to know what each political party is saying about the other I'd rather read about it in several news sources and develop my own opinion. News delivery is supposed to give "Just the facts". I could care less about someone elses opinion or position because if it's the same then why waste my time reading what I already know? But if the columnist is trying to persuade me to think otherwise, I won't want to be persuaded by opinion or subjective analysis, I'd rather be swayed by raw information in a reputable news storyline.

Columns should be written in an entertaining style if you want to hook the reader. Intellectual blah blah blah simply bores the reader away or limits the readers to a very limited intellectual bunch who probably share the same opinions as the writer making the column moot. You want to sway my opinion with yours? Then apply a bit of creative writing to hook me in. Lee Cataluna does an excellent job of doing that even if her opinion may be so far off target or a direct hit.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

>>richard da photog...

>>You are part of da ohana
      >>i will ALWAYS put up with you.

>>my hope is you will put up with me!

Absolutely, dude! Keep up the commentary, whether good or bad, we need to have people keep us on our toes (or, in my case, in some bar somewhere hoping we're doing our jobs).

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

WHY is it I see too often everyday in the media
        women and girls continually being referred to as :
        "diva"

??

which is defined as primarily three things:
        "an extremely sensitive, vain, or undisciplined person"
        an Italian goddess
        and...
        "a principal female singer in an opera or concert organization"

which one of these three ARE they saying the girl is?!
        They mean a singer or a woman with divine talent.

Comment

"Diva" does seem to be morphing its meanings at the moments. Only a few years ago it was still a pejoration: a high-maintenance female star given to fits of temperament. Now it seems to be moving to a more neutral meaning: a strong female who is talented and has a lot of personality.

For awhile it was a fresh word to apply to non-operatic persons, but now it is so widely used that the effect is vitiated, not unlike the use of "anthem" applied to rock tunes that are popular.

I think the column title "The Goddess Speaks" has a self-mocking quality that is attractive. Of course, if the columnist is capable of throwing bolts of lightning and the like, then clearly I misunderstood. And it wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

Well, we have Howard Stern, self-proclaimed King of all Media.

How about some tabloid journalist proclaim himself as the God of Headlines.

Hire a fantastically brave photographer self-proclaimed as Paparazzi Princess.

Of course, they'd need a great lawyer self-proclaimed as The Bar Bear.

And what would The Headline God name his tabloid column? The Revelation.

Perhaps have another column for really trashy stories titled From Hell's Gate.

Hey, I think those ideas have some real marketing potential!
            Last edited by Pomai; November 8, 2005, 08:58 AM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              You gotta rememeber people read columns for mainly one reason: to be entertained. Even the news on TV is more entertainment rather than information. Dan Rather said that and I believe it. So when columns become too informative rather than entertaining, people tune out. If they want information they'll go to the story in Section A instead of reading someone's opinion or observation. Why do you think TV news has adopted that news magazine philosophy with all those cliche's like Action News, Weather Tracker, it's a grab on your attention. Just like Dumb column names: The Goddess Speaks. That's so arrogant it makes you want to read it just to see how arrogant she really is!

If I wanted to know what each political party is saying about the other I'd rather read about it in several news sources and develop my own opinion. News delivery is supposed to give "Just the facts". I could care less about someone elses opinion or position because if it's the same then why waste my time reading what I already know? But if the columnist is trying to persuade me to think otherwise, I won't want to be persuaded by opinion or subjective analysis, I'd rather be swayed by raw information in a reputable news storyline.

Columns should be written in an entertaining style if you want to hook the reader. Intellectual blah blah blah simply bores the reader away or limits the readers to a very limited intellectual bunch who probably share the same opinions as the writer making the column moot. You want to sway my opinion with yours? Then apply a bit of creative writing to hook me in. Lee Cataluna does an excellent job of doing that even if her opinion may be so far off target or a direct hit.
              Sounds like someone has some female issues here.

The Goddess Speaks...got a catchy ring to it if you ask me. Arrogant? Only if you believe the women who write for the column are arrogant. Personally I see more arrogance in the writing styles of a couple of the women who write for the Advertiser's About Men/Women column. But I digress...

Anyway, it's in the damn features section for God's sake, what kind of social commentary are you hoping it will cover there? The comics are in the back page and they have home and garden tips along wine tasting advice.

It's women talking about women-related issues so let them talk. Personally I think a male version of that column might generate a lot of interest but what do I know. Besides, if you the Goddess Speaks sounds arrogant, a like-titled male column would sound even more so.

Comment

Column titles are usually pretty creative and fun at first. Take The Advertiser's About Men and About Women columns. I like them for the most part but sometimes I'll finish reading it, look up and say to my husband, "Why don't they just call it ABOUT ME?" There's really no battle of the sexes, he-said she-said exchange going on there at all. Maybe they don't want it that way.

I'm just jealous. I'd like to get paid to write a column! I'd write about being a woman, being a mom, getting other parents involved with schools, finding someone's wallet and returning it, forwarding misdirected email to the right people, loving hip huggers because I don't have to button a snap at the waist any more, surfing at 46, being amused by young people, etc.
                sigh. I should get back to writing about the fascinating world of aquaculture now. And that in itself is a noble pursuit:feed the world, sustain the world's fish stocks, protect the environment, eat free shrimp.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

For what it's worth, "The Goddess Speaks" has been running in the Star-Bulletin since around 1997 or 1998. You can search the back issues of Starbulletin.com and you'll find all of them. They're still there.

I was there when the first one ran. And for what it's worth, Kimo, at the time I said "WTF?" too!!! But I shrugged my shoulders and got over it.

Here's the introduction to the first one:

http://starbulletin.com/98/11/30/features/story1.html

And the first Goddess Speaks column:

http://starbulletin.com/98/12/01/features/goddess.html

Written by the original "goddess" herself!

Blaine
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                    And the first Goddess Speaks column:

http://starbulletin.com/98/12/01/features/goddess.html

Written by the original "goddess" herself!

Blaine

Indeed! I remember this column! I haven't seen ND in such a long time, but I'm certain she's still one freakin' hip chick.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                      Indeed! I remember this column! I haven't seen ND in such a long time, but I'm certain she's still one freakin' hip chick.
                      Hahaha! All look same! I saw her a couple of weeks ago in the newsroom. (I work graveyard shift so don't see lots of the crew.) She looked exactly the same as when I left in 2001.

Comment

>>>Each time I read the Star-Bulletin, especially the Features section, the sense that they are trying too hard makes me want to take back every bad thing I've said about the Honolulu Weakly.

It would be interesting (and somewhat helpful) to hear specifics rather than generalities.
                        Agreed. Though it's nice to see a break (however back-handed) in the love-fest for the dailies that is HawaiiThreads.
                        Last edited by RJC; November 11, 2005, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJC
                          Agreed. Though it's nice to see a break (however back-handed) in the love-fest for the dailies that is HawaiiThreads.
                          love fest for the dailies? love fest for the freakin' SB is more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67
                            love fest for the dailies? love fest for the freakin' SB is more like it.
                            Wot? You guys work Advertizah? Oh, no.... Weekly?

Comment

Working...
                            X