Tales of Yesteryear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales of Yesteryear

Sometime ago there was a thread here on a radio personality named J. Akuhead Pupule (Hal Lewis).

It was almost 50 years ago when I used to listen to Aku. It was 1956 and I was a Coast Guard radioman stationed at a Naval radio station just outside Wahiawa, in the middle of a huge pineapple field. Looking out from our barracks one could see Schofield Barracks and Kolekole Pass. (To give you an idea of how long ago that was, actual dinosaurs grazed not far away.)

The hit songs of the day were "Love Letters in the Sand" by Pat Boone, "The Wayward Wind" by Gogi Grant, "I'll Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash. And Johnny Mathis was a big new star with "It's Not For Me To Say." Aku played them all. I ended up in broadcasting, but never met or heard anyone more entertaining that Aku. I remember his signature sound was some kind of chime he would strike to mark the time, or his show name, or whatever.

While I'm here, let me tell about television in Hawaii in those days. There were no satellites then, of course, and not even an undersea cable from the mainland to allow the transmission of TV signals to the islands, so the so-called network affiliates would have kinescopes of all the network shows flown in for broadcast A WEEK LATER.

For the most part, though, the stations were "independent" for much of the broadcast day, airing movies and live programs. On KHDH (?), which Henry J. Kaiser owned in those days, I think I saw every movie that MGM ever made. They literally leased the entire MGM library, even all of the Andy Hardy series I had been too young to see in the theaters.

Here's how loosey-goosey things were in those days. There was a guy on one station (let's say it was KGMB) who had an hour-long afternoon show. He was something of a comedian. I remember he had a large collection of hats on the set, which he would use in his "act." I would swear this guy was Adam West, who would later turn up on ABC's Batman, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, "Adam" decided to leave KGMB and jump to another Honolulu station (KHDH?). On his last day, he finished his show on KGMB (during which he packed up all his props and hats), left the studio, got in his convertible, and drove off down the street. All the while KGMB's cameras, mounted on the station's roof, were following him until he drove out of sight. Meanwhile, over at KHDH, their cameras picked him up driving into their station and followed him into their studio, where he did his first show for them.

Those were wonderful days; I'd like to relive them.

Aloha.

Reno Bailey
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Last edited by mel; December 20, 2004, 05:40 PM. Reason: re-edited title for category fit

Re: Tales of Yesteryear (Radio)

OK, as moderator I had this thread reposted into the two nostalgia conferences of the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide section. Further discussion of old Hawaii radio can be posted here.

The discussion on Aku is indeed within this Hawaii Radio Memories section. As many know, Aku was and is still a legend in this market. I have an old audio clip of Aku recorded around the 1970s during the Vietnam era. I think that old signature sound was probably the "Coconut Wireless" news jingle... it kind of went like this....

"on the coconut wireless, yak in the yak, chew out the fat..." or something like that... I can't remember if I have that on the clip I own. This was used during Aku's long time at KGMB radio.

As for the music, I think Aku went more for big band and standards as time went on. Distinctly remember him for not ever playing The Beatles and their contemporaries of the rock n roll era.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Tales of Yesteryear

Through the cobwebs of my memory it is coming to me that the station owned by Kaiser was KHVH (not KHDH). The "HVH" stood for Hawaiian Village Hotel, which Henry J. also owned. A prominent feature on the hotel grounds was a large geodesic dome which served as an auditorium.

Comment

The dome was torn down about 10 years ago and a huge tower annex was constructed in its place. Today KHVH radio is owned by Clear Channel Communications and features a talk radio format with the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and George Noory ruling the airwaves. Back in the day, KHVH radio was at 1040 on the AM dial, later moved to 990 and now occupies 830 on the dial (former home of the old KIKI AM).
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          "on the coconut wireless, yak in the yak, chew out the fat..." or something like that... I can't remember if I have that on the clip I own. This was used during Aku's long time at KGMB radio. .

wow. that is too cool. I grew up listening to all the characters on KGMB. would love to hear that clip.

aaannnny way possible to mp3 it, Mel?

(Tink it was; "yakity yak, they're chewin the fat...")

Comment

THANKS FOA DA MEMORIES! CHICKEN SKIN! Yacky yack!

1stwahine
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

where they yakity yak yakity yak all day long...And sometimes they even hear it before it happens!

Remember Smyth the Smoother Mover commercials: It's Smyth not Smith...Smyth the smoother movers!

I think the guy with the hats was Captain Honolulu right!

And Aku's side kick Akapido and Captain Erwin. Whenever Aku started his morning newscast he would say: Goodmorning goodmorning and (translated into jewish) it's Monday. Then after the news and weather he would say: We pause briefly for our daily word to live by, then he would go into a very religious sermon on morality.

Those were the days...
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                wow. that is too cool. I grew up listening to all the characters on KGMB. would love to hear that clip.

aaannnny way possible to mp3 it, Mel?

(Tink it was; "yakity yak, they're chewin the fat...")

I know CC's got it somewhere in their server. I remember hearing the whole song including the donut in the prod rooms one weekend
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X