Maui radio 86-90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui radio 86-90

Anyone from the old Obie Broadcasting Group read this forum? I'm looking for jocks from KMVI AM/FM. Greg Howard...John Salzer...Nick Jackson...Paul "the local boy" Douglas, and others I can't remember. I worked for Obie Broadcasting on Maui from 86-90...mid-days on KMVI AM then mornings on Z98FM...before moving on to Las Vegas and other major markets on the mainland. I'm curious as to what you guys have been up to. Are you out there? Lets hear from you!

Re: Maui radio 86-90

Hmmm Obiw-wan big sweaty kanobie!

I am from the B.O. days at KMVI...
    but arrived right after Iniki blew me off Kauai.

So that would be- 92 late 92...

Local Boy is still here on Maui- Saw him a couple o' weeks
    back- said he's working on his house. After a short stint
    working for the dark side (Maui News) he's taking time off
    for some home inprovement.

I see J.S. every now and then when he returns to (strangely enough) to
    work on his house (now a rental) as he lives full time in Florida!

Nick Jackson I believe is working on houses too! Doing some construction
    gig- and lends his voice (on a very part time basis) to KAOI's radio group...

Greg Howard apparently moved to the mainland and is (?? Driving Train??)

Not bad huh?

For not having been there during that time...

Anyway- catching you up very quickly-

Obie sold to KNUI, which then turned into Maui Radio Group (KNUI AM,
    KNUI FM, KMVI FM, KMVI AM, KNUQ FM)

Lahaina Broadcasting (the little station that could) KPOA bought KLHI (at the
    time in forclosure), becoming two- then moving KPOA and KLHI's tower
    site up to Ulupalakua... which overnight, made KPOA the dominant player
    on Maui...

Lahaina Broadcast then bought Maui Radio Group, sold off KNUQ to KAOI,
    and became a power of 6 as Pacific Radio Group...

KPOA, KLHI, KNUI AM, KNUI FM, KMVI FM, KMVI AM...

Recently the lineup has changed again... in calls anyway...
    KNUI's FM is now called KJKS... and KMVI FM
    (playing urban/island) is now Da Jam KJMD.

As everywhere in radio consolodation is a strange beast- in that warriors
    that used to battle each other are now under the same roof- and
    expected to live peacefully.

For the most part- that has come to pass. And the PRG team plays
    well together.

You may find more at pacificradiogroup.com

but- that's kinda the essence.

Obie's of course back home in the Pacific Northwest... beating his chest
    and running through the trees...

Comment

Wow, intersting thread, being that I worked for KNUI in 1980.
      Greg Howard was doing mornings with Liz Janes doing news. I was 18 years old and PD doug Cory hired me to do afternoons. The afternoon guy who had been there for years, left. He then died in a car accident on the mainland. I never felt more like an outsider than on that occasion. Everyone was mourning and there i was, a snot nosed teenager in his time slot.

When I got there the station was on a different frequency and we did a big launch of K900...we went completely off the air and told listeners to set your dial to 900...and in a week or so when we go back on the air, be the first caller and Tell us what the first song we play is, and you win 900 dollars (i think) First song was Doobie Brothers "Listen to the music"...the first caller got it wrong, they said Long train runnin'.

Tom Elkins was GM, he had some great editorials. And he also drove the car we called The Shadow. He would follow a car and announce their license plate number and if they pulled over, he would give them prizes. Great small market stuff. Tom hated me, because he thought I was just too young. I was. His intelligence intimidated me.

My news guy was Chuck Bourne (classic) and the night guy was Jeff Yamanishe who is still on maui doing some kind of radio.

Pd Doug Cory soon left Maui and Kono Kalani became PD. He switched me to nights...where I pulled the "Black Santa Claus" bit and got lectured in the studio at 10:30 pm. So what does a punk ass 18 year old do? I walked out on my shift...(real smart)

I really enjoyed that year...the only negative is that the guys on Maui radio, never wanted to adventure to bigger radio things. They got so comfortable and never left.

Comment

I have some pictures when I visited Maui in 1993. Went to KNUI AM/FM on Ano Street on a Sunday when they were actually closed but I met a big Polynesian guy. The studio wall had pictures of Pretty Poison, Eric Clapton, Anita Baker, and Jimi Hendrix.

Went to KMVI AM/FM on Waiehu Beach Road and met Jesse Nakooka sitting with a big stack of records. I went next door to the former Maui's Rock 98.3 FM studio. I think they were satellite from WW1. Jeff Yamanishi worked there.
        I barely remembered hearing 98.3 and their then weak 3,000w signal at Turtle Bay Hilton (late 1980's) when they were Z-98 FM. Cool station, what was their format exactly? Sounded like Hot AC? I have a old Maui's Rock bumper sticker and Z-98 FM shirt.

Visited KAOI AM/FM and met Bill Best. The clock read 10:45 am. Went to KDLX at a different address in Wailuku, closed, took a picture in front of their door.

Visited KPOA when they were in a shopping center on the beach in Lahaina. An employee there mentioned they were so spoiled by the ocean view.

Met an African-American guy at KONI in Kihei when they were Jones Hot AC.

Comment

Just FYI- Local Boy, Paul Douglas has returned to his KPOA roots and
          has been hired to do weekends... both Saturday and Sunday midday-

Comment

Jeff Yamannishi, is still heard on KDLX radio.. though he has not worked there in a very loooooooong time.. He is one of the owners of Paradise Video stores,
            and also works at Borders

Comment

Yeah, I remember listenening to KNUI when I was a kid.

>>>drove the car we called The Shadow

I remember that, too. We slapped a sticker on my mom's car and had the radio on constantly while driving in hopes of getting "pulled over" by The Shadow. Alas, it never happened.

Nothing cool ever happens to me.

Comment

it's cool that you remember the game-

if you'd won the prize- I bet you'd be hard pressed

to remember it (the prize)...

From what I recall the "Shadow" was actually

the station's GM (on his way to lunch or errands)

kind of a fun promo-

Comment

this is an response to an old thread but...

what the heck happened to Insane Wayne?

Anyone? Bueller?

Comment

Originally posted by Rik Steven
                    Anyone from the old Obie Broadcasting Group read this forum? I'm looking for jocks from KMVI AM/FM. Greg Howard...John Salzer...Nick Jackson...Paul "the local boy" Douglas, and others I can't remember. I worked for Obie Broadcasting on Maui from 86-90...mid-days on KMVI AM then mornings on Z98FM...before moving on to Las Vegas and other major markets on the mainland. I'm curious as to what you guys have been up to. Are you out there? Lets hear from you!
                    I guess I am an alum from Obie Broadcasting Group. I started out as a part time DJ and then Nick Jackson moved me into the newsroom. I stayed in news part time from 1990 to 2005 at various Hawaii stations.

I've been hiding under my Hawaii Threads psuedonym. If you email me privately, I will give you further information as to my tenure at KMVI in the late 80's and early nineties and at KNUI before that.auntie2wacky@yahoo.com

Thanks. DZ Taylor aka NTwacky
                    Feed the world's hungry, visit: www.thehungersite.com

Comment

I am hoping that your station reaches the people in all of Maui. I am seeking information about my grandparents who traveled from Puerto Rico to Hawaii on or about 1900. I believe his first name was Rafael. His last name was definitely Rodriguez. My grandmother's maiden name was Tomasa Juarbe. would you use the services of your office to help me in this quest?

Comment

Rik...I caught your show in the early nineties on a station in Boulder City. I even stopped by the station and just missed out on seeing you. I've got some photos to prove it.

1986 to 1990 were good times at KMVI AM and FM. I was there long before and after but there were so many people flowing in and out of the door but I'll see what I can come up with as an update.

GREG HOWARD was no longer PD in 1988. The last that I had seen him was when he was driving a taxi and pulled over on the side of the highway to watch the motorcade of then 44th Vice President of the United States Dan Quayle while making a Maui stopover. Last I heard is that he moved to the mainland.

NICK JACKSON can still be heard on the air at KDLX under his country format name which escapes me at the moment. He also has been hosting late Saturday afternoons and evenings on KEAO FM for nearly the last five years.

JEFF YAMANISHI is still in the world of video rentals, Borders retailer and doing airshifts on a semi-monthly basis at KEAO FM.

MAUREEN BOROMEO left Maui for Oahu and did news at KSSK for a number of years. She still resides on Oahu.

L.D. REYNOLDS is still entertaining radio audiences on both terrestial radio and online. He's been working with KAOI, Q103 and now is involved with the new FM on Molokai. His online radio broadcast of Hawaiian music has been embraced by internet radio listens for several years.

MICHAEL McCARTNEY can be heard online and TiVo (via Live365) playing music and interviewing artists. He is still on the FM dial on Maui doing afternoons on KONI FM and evenings on KPMW FM while also holding a shift on KEAO FM. No radio group here. All stand alone stations sharing the same announcer. KONI is owned by H.Hawaii Media which means that McCartney is also heard on KTOH FM on Kauai. He also does film work.

KEALI'I REICHEL went on to become one of the biggest selling artists in Hawaiian music and has won the Hoku a number of times. The Hoku being the local equivilant of a Grammy award.

PAUL DOUGLAS is currently the Production Manager for the Pacific Radio Group. He was on KPMW FM doing mid-days with Rhoda On The Radio while still at the Maui News. He moved on to KPOA FM to do weekends and still fills in when needed but his superb talent as the "go to guy" for radio production keeps his plate full.

DAN THOMPSON ended up moving from KMVI AM to traffic for Obie and then doing afternoons on KMVI FM before moving to the west coast over ten years ago.

DAMION is now back at Westwood One doing an airshift heard on stations all over the country. Before KMVI FM became a live Rock format, we used to carry Westwood One's Adult Rock and Roll that Damion was on. We used to joke that if were already paying Westwood One for their air talent, we didn't need to pay Damion when he moved to Maui to do mornings on KMVI FM.

EVE FULLER did news and have no idea where she ended up.

MARIAH PARADISE aka KELLY LONDON also did news and the last thing that I remember her doing was dinner theater here on Maui. That was over a decade ago.

CLIFF ARQUETTE left radio and was doing production work. Don't know what he's been up to. I haven't seen him for almost two decades. Members of his family continue their acting careers in Hollywood.

LEO AGCOLICOL is still doing early morning Filipino programming on KNUI.

FUSAYO KOIKE hosted the "Yamato Program" for nearly fifty years passed away at age 93 in 2003. No matter how companies owned KMVI or how many DJs were on the air, Mrs. Koike was the heart and soul of KMVI.

A.B. SAVILLA passed away in the early nineties. He was also one of the earliest announcers on KMVI AM after the station signed on in 1946.

MATT BURGER is currently heard on KEAO FM and KPMW FM but is based in Hollywood where he is busy working his film and television career.

AUDREY ROCHA is no longer in radio and is retiring from her position at the Cameron Center.

SCOTT SHERLEY is still on the air at KEAO FM. After changing KMVI's long standing TOP 40/HOT AC/Hawaiian hybrid format on the AM dial to MOR/Adult Standards the station was sold. Scott continued his popular "Sentimental Journey" program on KPMWFM in the late nineties and later to KEAO FM. Scott can be heard every Sunday but with a new program title "Stardust Memories".

KAREN MAWAE SPENCE still enjoys the world of sports and can still be found playing country music on KDLX FM on Maui where she has been before the turn of the century.

JOHN NEFF has moved back to the mainland and currently works on scores for film and television.

ALICE LEE left radio for politics on Maui.

MIKE APPLEBY currently lives in Florida but still comes back to Maui on a regular basis.

JEFF KINO still can be found right here on Hawaii Threads Radio Section. I never got to meet Jeff. He was always around when I was at lunch or out of town. Still can't figure out how I missed meeting him considering that he was around for awhile.

DELPHINE GREEN is no longer in radio. The broadcasting world could never afford her as she continues her profession as a pharmacist. She did nights on KMVI AM and FM. Her last radio gig was doing evenings on KMVI FM and PSA Director. She was the last DJ to play classic rock before the station flipped format to become Da Jam 98.3

BUDDY FO - unsure of his whereabouts. The last time that I worked with Buddy was at KLHI FM in the nineties.

There are more staff members to update. Anyone else care to update?

Comment

WOW, Talk about flash-backs. I remember alot of the dj`s back then. Back then only listened to KMVI and KNUI. During the 60`s had to get up with the Filipino dj Leo. Then KNUI came in with game promo`s (The Shadow). Good fun hana-budda day`s when times on Maui went alittle more cruise control.
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

the frickin SHADOW...classic brah. Sorry for the delayed response but just saw this post recently.

Maui High we all do praise thee...

Originally posted by dick View Post
                            Yeah, I remember listenening to KNUI when I was a kid.

>>>drove the car we called The Shadow

I remember that, too. We slapped a sticker on my mom's car and had the radio on constantly while driving in hopes of getting "pulled over" by The Shadow. Alas, it never happened.

Nothing cool ever happens to me.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                              WOW, Talk about flash-backs. I remember alot of the dj`s back then. Back then only listened to KMVI and KNUI. During the 60`s had to get up with the Filipino dj Leo. Then KNUI came in with game promo`s (The Shadow). Good fun hana-budda day`s when times on Maui went alittle more cruise control.
                              Do you remember a radio station with the call letter of KORL 650 back in the 60's? I believe it was on Oahu back then. It was also known at "Nifty 650" .... if you do could you please contact me at tekivik@comcast.net my neighbor used to be a DJ for them back then and was known as "Tommy Crystal". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X