New format for 92.7 in Hilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New format for 92.7 in Hilo

The Big Island's 92.7 has gone from Hawaiian Style & Reggae to The Mix playing music from the 80's 90's and today...yet I'm hearing "Ben" by the Jackson Five from the 70's.

I'm still hearing Slick Vic's commercial spots so I figure there's still a CC connection somewhere in The Mix. The new sound is refreshing and welcomed although some of it is offbeat and I'm wondering who's programming the music rotation there. It sounds like canned programming from the mainland with local commercial inventory and imaging here and there. Can't wait for local programming of this new format. The signal is also weaker so I'm wondering if the tower location was changed as well.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: New format for 92.7 in Hilo

Craig, the new format is pretty exciting I think. As you know I was tracking pm drive on KHWI from cc in Honolulu, until the format flip. As you pointed there still is a "cc connection." Vic and I are handiling all the Imaging, and Production for the station. Alan is yet to announce our air staff so be on the look out!

Comment

That's right...you did hear "Ben". It's actually the hits of the past four decades, including the 70's. Good music is good music. The signal is the same, the tower on the mountain was not moved.
      Also, the station isn't canned. It's an exciting new format and like you said, a refresher for Hilo. Stick around to find out who the new on air staff will be. Have a great day
      John James and Slick Vic...THE men of imaging

Comment

Thanks for that correction. I guess it sounds canned because there isn't any live presence in the morning or afternoon drives. One thing about at least East Hawaii (Hilo, Hamakua, Lower Puna) is the need for local music programming. Speaking to many high school kids here they connect with the local music. There are also a lot of ex-Honolulu residents here and we need that good mix that Mix 92.7 is providing however there still is that local presence that needs to be covered.

Is there any plans to broadcast locally here in East Hawaii? Regarding the signal. It has dropped noticably here in the Keaau area, lots of static and bleed over from other FM radio stations.

I like the afternoon and evening programming and I've noticed today that the music is getting better. One thing about groups like Journey and Earth Wind and Fire is that they benchmark themselves in the 70's and early 80's so it's hard to transition out of those songs into something more progressive. But it's nice to hear those groups on the air again.

I told my wife while listening to Mix 92.7 while Enya was playing yesterday that it was a long time since I heard this wide variation of music on one station since leaving Honolulu five months ago, being an avid listener to KSSK and former CC employee (heck I'm biased).

Okay now I'm listening to She Bangs...yep now East Hawaii knows this song predates William Hung followed by Lionel Ritchie's Stuck on you. Where's Celine Dion?

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the format change!

Comment

Aloha Everyone,

Mix 92.7 is indeed programmed locally. The new talent line-up is top secret, but coming very soon.

Signal strength should actually have increased in the areas you discussed.

Could be atmospheric or possibly the other group's station's interference as they work on their transmitter (one of the stations recently had a major challenge with their transmitter(s)).

Either way, you should be getting the Mix 92.7 strong and clear.

Thank you all for listening, and stay tuned for the other big news coming up...

Shhhh... Top Secret of course!

Aloha,

Frank

Comment

So if Alan is the PD over there... who is Frank?

Originally posted by frank
            Aloha Everyone,

Mix 92.7 is indeed programmed locally. The new talent line-up is top secret, but coming very soon.

Thank you all for listening, and stay tuned for the other big news coming up...

Shhhh... Top Secret of course!

Aloha,

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              So if Alan is the PD over there... who is Frank?
              Alan is the programming consultant and Frank is the owner of Aloha Radio Group.

Comment

Signal strength should actually have increased in the areas you discussed.

Could be atmospheric or possibly the other group's station's interference as they work on their transmitter (one of the stations recently had a major challenge with their transmitter(s)).

Either way, you should be getting the Mix 92.7 strong and clear.
                I live down by the ocean. The signal varies from moderate to weak late at night and morning. Middays are okay. I wouldn't doubt it if another station doing transmitter site work during those hours are impeding 92.7's signal strength.

But this new format is good stuff for us here on the Big Island. I was getting so frustrated to the point of wanting to start my own station here with that kind of programming. Thanks for saving me the headache of starting one up.

Comment

I live on the Big Island and hear more rumors of CC talent infiltrating the TOP SECRET line-up. Rick Hamada? doing the am drive news?

Comment

Well it's kinda out now that Gina Lee and Scottie B are covering the drive times, Rick Hamada doing news...nah but I'd like to hear a news capsule at the top and bottom just so I can stay informed as to whether the rest of the world is still alive.

Even if it's not a local news, ABC does have it's news at the top, sports at the :15 after and a news brief at the bottom.

Comment

Aloha All, news is definitely coming. We have searched high and low for a great, accurate, up to date, professional news element for our station.

In the process have lucked out to have found a professional that exemplifies the best of what the news business is about.

You'll have to listen to know for sure who it will be.

I will tell you this though, Mix 92.7 will have news updated hourly with the freshest most current information available.

Thanks for listening!

Aloha,

Frank

PS, the live from Hilo morning show is coming... Who is it?... We could tell you, but then we'd have to....

Comment

I'd like to see Mix 92.7 stream live over the Internet so that we can have an alternative to KSSK, KUMU FM, and KRTR FM.

Comment

Ivan 92.7 is more contemporary than Adult Standards. Sometimes they go back to the early to mid 70's but mostly 80's on up to current. From what Adam Carr tells us looks like KSSK is playing some of the remix melodies 92.7 is playing. Similar but because of some of the alternative and some hip hop selections I've been hearing, it's a more contemporary extension of what KSSK is playing. This is a really good format for us tail ender baby boomers, the shoe fits real nice! Thanks Frank for a wonderful station.

Frank will you be having a local news capsule or a national feed. From the sound of your last post, it seems you're looking for a good local newscaster.

Are you broadcasting locally or doing what was done with the Hawaiian Style & Reggae format? I don't want to elaborate any further if it wasn't known to everybody.

And thanks for your responses to our questions on this board, it's not everyday we can get feedback like this. Keep up the good work and let's hope this format is a keeper!

Comment

Aloha all,

The news will be a local news report, updated hourly during peak listening hours, by a great news veteran, whom is known for getting it right and getting it!

I doubt if the news voice we all hear will be unfamiliar.

BTW, it is definitely NOT a syndicated news feed that covers everything that ISN'T here. We are very excited, and I think everyone else will be, very soon! Has the ring of next week to it?...

Thank you all for the terrific reviews, it is the most positively received format change I have ever experienced and we are thrilled to be making happy listeners.

We have come to learn that Alan Oda (our PD) is a genius... and are extremely grateful to have so many incredible people onboard helping us make something we hope will be wonderful.

Aloha & mahalo for listening!

Frank

Comment

Oh, I forgot to answer that important question. Yes, we are broadcasting locally.

We have a few, very few dayparts that are covered by someone off island: sorry everyone, Casey Kasem refused to relocate to Hawaii... But we're working on it!

Aloha,

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X