KORL's "Music Of the Night" needs more variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KORL's "Music Of the Night" needs more variety

KORL's overnight music show "Music Of the Night" needs more variety. I'm sick and tired of hearing Enya, Josh Groban, Jim Brickman, and Kenny G. What "Music Of the Night" ought to feature is timeless classics of the last 5 decades. Everytime I listen to "Music Of the Night", I wait in vain for Anne Murray, Engelbert Humperdinck, Barry Manilow, Carly Simon, James Taylor, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, the Platters, the Carpenters, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Al Martino, Perry Como, Don McLean, Kenny Rogers, and other timeless artists that KUMU FM used to play in its easy listening days. Although KORL's "Music Of the Night" is an easy listening music show, they only play contemporary easy listening, no adult standards. By New Year's Day (January 1, 2005), I want adult standards added to KORL's "Music Of the Night". Then, we'll really have the old KUMU FM music format. Are you listening Donna?

Re: KORL's "Music Of the Night" needs more variety

*yawn*

There's always SOMETHING to complain about, right Ivan?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
      *yawn*

There's always SOMETHING to complain about, right Ivan?
      You're absolutely right. If it weren't for Visionary, KUMU AM 1500 would still be featuring adult standards fulltime. Now I have to wait for the "Long Lost Oldies" show which comes on every Sunday afternoon from 3:00 to 6:00 pm. I also have to wait for "Music for Lovers" which comes on every Friday night/Saturday morning from midnight to 5:00 am on Hilo's KHBC AM 1060. I want my adult standards every single day of the week. Visionary took that away. Now I want KORL AM 690 to pick up the slack

Comment

Go to http://www.musicofyourlife.com. This is a network that plays adult standards and I believe they still webcast.

Comment

Here is something I have been thinking about. When Salem finally acquires Oldies 107.9, I'd like them to add adult standards to the oldies mix. If that happens, we'll have an oldies station that the whole family can enjoy.

Comment

>> Here is something I have been thinking about. <<

Could it be, perhaps... adult standards?

>> When Salem finally acquires Oldies 107.9, I'd like them to add adult standards to the oldies mix. <<

What a surprise!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: KORL's &quot;Music Of the Night&quot; needs more variety

>>If that happens, we'll have an oldies station that the whole family can enjoy.<<

Certainly not mine.

Comment

>> When Salem finally acquires Oldies 107.9, I'd like them to add adult standards to the oldies mix. <<

Sorry, Ivan...not a chance. If you reference the Honolulu Star-Bulletin article when the swap of Oldies 107.9 and AM650 and AM940 was announced, you'll find a quote from the GM of Salem saying "We're keeping Oldies just as it is." As PD, I am expecting no "surprise" announcements of adult standards.

>>If that happens, we'll have an oldies station that the whole family can enjoy.<<

Huh? They do that now! We're as family-friendly as it gets! Perhaps that's one of the reasons Salem wanted to aquire us.

A slice of reality (sorry if I'm repeating anything everybody else has said about "adult standards"...I'm fairly new 'round these parts):

Whether it's the AC stations (KSSK, KRTR, KUMU) or Oldies 107.9 or any other major radio station in the market, the adult standards format is not coming back, nor is it going to be woven into station's existing playlists. Why would any station that I just mentioned (all in the top 10) alter their format for one that's dead in Honolulu.

KUMU-AM's 4-book share for the persons 25 - 54 demo over the last year of it's life as an "adult standards" station (2003): 0.3 share, nearly dead last among rated stations. Among persons 35+ (maybe a bit more realistic): 1.0 share, tied for 23rd PLACE. Among persons 50+ (certainly the audience you'd HAVE to reach for this type of music): 1.8 share, 14th place. No money to be made + very small and dwindling audience that is no where near an ad agency's target demographic = absolutely no incentive to place this format back on the air.

Maybe you'll get lucky if a random AM station switches, but that's about the only hope that's left.

That's the facts. Time to move on,

Aloha,

John Matthews

Comment

Originally posted by johnmatthews
                  Time to move on,
                  Since you're new, you wouldn't know... Ivan will never "move on." You can either flame his whining a## or just ignore him.

Comment

Working...
                  X