Death of Radio or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death of Radio or Not?

When I was a kid growing up fairly near the border we had fun listening to evangelists on XERB, which on a good night came in in Oregon. Between evangelists it was race results. One evangelist played relaxing relaxing music for the first 15 minutes of his show, the next 15 he'd tell you in a deep, calm relaxing voice to sit down in a comfortable chair and close your eyes and go deeply, deeply asleep and to listen carefully and then to go to the desk and take out the check book and look at the amount in the account and then write that on your check--don't forget to sign it!!--and then mail it to box whatever. There was an endless parade of people miraculously healed from every disease known to man. Rev. AA Allen of Miracle Valley, Az, had a huge following, somehow his free copy of Miracle Magazine always had the same feature article--"I brought my tumor to church in a jar!"--(or, how to get a personal pew all to yourself!) He died of chirosis. They were wonderfully entertaining. Shameless crooks. Some hit it big, some went down. We enjoyed the gospel music from a tabernacle in downtown LA. In later years XERB became Wolfman Jack's west coast station, a fictionalized version of it appeared in "American Graffiti". Its XEPRS now, a good sports station, I have received it on a portable radio while camping on eastern Maui. Mainland DX in Hawai'i might be an interesting topic. In fact, I would be interested to hear from anyone about mainland stations that make it there. I think the farthest I ever received in Hawai'i was WBAP in Ft. Worth. I have never received any Hawaiian stations on the mainland though I understand that KPUA can sometimes be heard in Santa Barbara.

Comment

*bump*
      Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      [...]
      If you have an iPhone, I've got one word for you: Pandora.
      No iPhone here but just discovered Pandora! I probably missed this thread last year as my only radio is in the car. I typed in my favorite musician's name and Pandora's choices are all the musicians I've seen in concert here over the past 1.5 years plus a few new ones, so far! Lovin' it! I'm probably the last person on earth to discover Pandora!

Comment

The NAB and RIAA want to have Congress force mobile device makers to include an FM receiver bundled into every device.

http://lowendmac.com/musings/10mm/fm-radio-mandate.html

Not a good idea as this will only increase the cost of all mobile devices.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think maybe its along those line I suggested in a post somewhere else regarding getting the word out on disaster awareness thru emergency broadcasts?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            I think maybe its along those line I suggested in a post somewhere else regarding getting the word out on disaster awareness thru emergency broadcasts?
            And as I recall I stated this would add to the cost of devices. Bad government mandate if it came to be.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The NAB is pushing it. "nuff reason to be against it

Comment

Working...
              X