Hawaiian Music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Music...

What station plays better Hawaiian music... 99.5 KHUI or 940 am KKNE?

Re: Hawaiian Music...

As it wouldn't even occur to me to scan the AM dial, I've gotta vote for KHUI. Definitely versus its FM neighbors, "Breeze of Hawaii" has a less jarring mix of Hawaiian music, skewing toward the older and gentler. While I actually do like newer stuff, and I can appreciate a good beat, things are too hit-or-miss on the contemporary stations to listen for any length of time.

How would you characterize the mix on 940 am KKNE?

Comment

Originally posted by Hanapaa
      What station plays better Hawaiian music... 99.5 KHUI or 940 am KKNE?
      I think 99.5 mixes traditional Hawaiian with contemporary Hawaiian, whereas 940 plays nothing but traditional Hawaiian. So, if you don't want to sit through contemporary Hawaiian music before you can hear traditional Hawaiian music, 940 is the better station. 99.5 is pretty much a mix of 105.1 and 940.

Comment

If you want a nice blend of Aloha Classics- you need to take your ears over to AM900 KNUI on Maui- they're rolling tasty flavors of Hawaiian, blending from the last 40 years- with a bent towards lyrics sung in Hawaiian.

You get a real backyard Kanikapila kine feel... cha-lang-a-lang keep da ukes sweet breathe of da pass :-)

You won't find the R&B tinged/reggae wannabees that are the current rage in locally produced music.

Like 'em ol' style-

"Where hawaiian music lives- AM900"

Geev um one listen-

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget
          I think 99.5 mixes traditional Hawaiian with contemporary Hawaiian, whereas 940 plays nothing but traditional Hawaiian.
          I suppose you're right. There is some new stuff on 99.5, but as I wrote, I'm more interested in the overall "tone" of the mix rather than when it was made. Which is to say, even the new stuff they play is in the "classical style." I haven't caught any annoying "Jawaiian" or other contemporary songs there, at least.

Some might find 99.5's mix to be a bit too toothless, a bit too much like a gentle breeze. But a lot of the time, that's what I need.

I'm listening to 940AM right now. So far what I've heard is comparable, but of course "lo fi" in terms of audio quality (both because it's AM, and because of the vintage of the recordings). I'll be sure to give it a fair listen, though. It's not like I know anywhere near enough about "traditional" Hawaiian music.

Comment

Don't forget Sunday afternoons on KIPO 89.3 from 1:00-4:00pm. Two hours of a mixture, followed by an hour hosted by Keith and Carmen Haugen.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In order of my preferences...

1. Breeze, definitely... not to mention the FM goodness
              2. KIPO's show... I think Derrick Malama is the host? nice toonz
              3. KPOA.. which I can catch every now and then depending where I'm drivin

Comment

Working...
              X