Satellite Radio comes to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XM radio in Hawaii

Check out this earlier thread, which notes this Star-Bulletin article.
    But local radio stations have nothing to fear, for now, since neither Sirius nor bigger dog XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. are permitted by the Federal Communications Commission to beam themselves down here.

Comment

Re: XM radio in Hawaii

Despite it being labeled as "Satellite Radio" the majority of Sirius and XM subscribers especially in urban markets are actually receiving the signal via terrestial repeaters, which is making new receivers such as XM's new "MyFi" workable. At some point both services will likely jump into Hawaii using repeaters, for Alaska once the CRTC approves Sirius and XM for use in Canada the signal can be augmented to provide service there. With that said, a rigged up XM antenna on a off-set KU-band dish can work for getting their service in Hawaii(likely a 1-1.2m dish). Sirius uses LEO satellites but have heard that a useable signal can be had for periods of time during the day.
      Last edited by Ninja; December 27, 2004, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Re: Satellite Radio comes to Hawaii

Sirius Gets Serious About Serving Islands

Erika Engle covers Sirius' intention to offer satellite radio to Hawaii and Alaska:

SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. wants to be heard in Hawaii and Alaska, and has filed an application with the Federal Communications Commission to make it so.
        If it becomes available, will anyone actually buy this?
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I have Sirius and I can't live without it. Image 50 or so channels of music with NO COMMERCIALS. You'll never listen to regular, "Terrestrial radio" again. Plus, there's talk, comedy, sports, and the best thing of all, Howard Stern. All uncensored.....over 120 channels of programs for $13 a month. TOTALLY worth it.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

The coordinates appear to be the First Hawaiian Tower. Interesting, I thought they were going to keep their building "clean". Good for those within sight of that building, but as far as I can tell, it won't help those outside of that area - like Hawaii Kai or the Windward side.

Given the amount of power they are pushing, I wouldn't want to be too close to it. 1800W ERP at close to microwave oven frequencies. And people carp about cell phones.

Comment

This thread is six years old, but it may someday finally be true. The FCC has given Sirius Satellite Radio conditional approval to run ground-based repeaters to broadcast its programming in Honolulu while it continues to work on lining up its satellites to include Hawaii.

Not sure how long it'll take for them to get their terrestrial system set up. But there may finally be something for those pre-installed satellite radio decks in cars to do in Honolulu!

The entry of satellite radio into Hawaii (and Alaska) has been opposed by the Hawaii Association of Broadcasters, its counterpart in Alaska, and the National Association of Broadcasters.

Comment

Satellite radio = $ubscription $ervice. Not for me.

Terrestrial radio = AM & FM = free radio. Minimal equipment requirement, etc. No fees.

There are plenty of radio content on iTunes, various apps for mobile devices, etc. Why would anyone want satellite radio? Plus I can program my own iPod with my own music and podcasts.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When I was in Wyoming and Montana a few months ago with a rental car, satellite radio was a godsend. We couldn't receive any radio stations at all and the satellite radio reception was perfect. The amount of channels (even one's that had weather updates) was simply amazing. For driving around on the mainland I'm sold on out, we got it for free with the rental and I would even pay a few extra bucks for it if offered, here I don't have much use for it other than in my house which has terrible radio reception for the most part.

Comment

Well, I hope that it comes to Hawaii. I have a 2009 For Expedition EL XLT 4WD that is equipped with Sirius Satellite Radio.

Comment

Working...
                    X