Slash slashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slash slashed

From Erika's column today (at http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/06/business/index.html ):

"In radio and perhaps other industries, if you're called in for a meeting on a holiday, it's probably not for a positive reason. Phil "Fil Slash" Roberts was summoned to such a meeting on Monday, on the Fourth of July, and was told he was fired and would be replaced with a nationally syndicated radio show.
    "I was completely blindsided," Slash said. However, he added: "I bear no malice. It's the business that we chose."

For the rest of the article, read Erika's column (which you oughta be doing every day anyway!).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Slash slashed

Thanks

and there's the door

glad you enjoyed the ride

Comment

Originally posted by '79 KUAI Jock
      Thanks

and there's the door

TOTALLY CLASSIC RESPONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

>Phil "Fil Slash" Roberts was summoned to such a meeting

by who?
        Where?

>on Monday, on the Fourth of July, and was told he was fired

fired from what!? are they talking about his position at KPOI? or another position on radio we may not know about?

>and would be replaced with a nationally syndicated radio show.

He is a DJ on 105.9 KPOI. HOW can a "nationally syndicated radio show" physically replace a dj's work?
        Maybe HIS time slot can be replaced with a radio show. What does this mean re; the format at KPOI? Why would they not use him in another time slot?

I just called to confirm and 105.9 sez he was let go, but everything else remains the same.
        They could just wanna keep all changes hush hush for the time being, but the gal there said she didn't know about the "nationally syndicated radio show" .
        Last edited by kimo55; July 6, 2005, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by '79 KUAI Jock
          Thanks

and there's the door

LOL
          Any DJ who hasn't heard those words five times hasn't been in the business ten years.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            by who? Where? fired from what!? are they talking about his position at KPOI? or another position on radio we may not know about? He is a DJ on 105.9 KPOI. HOW can a "nationally syndicated radio show" physically replace a dj's work? Maybe HIS time slot can be replaced with a radio show. What does this mean re; the format at KPOI? Why would they not use him in another time slot?
            By his boss, Ed Kanoi - the OM/PD/morning drive co-host. At the station on Amana St. Fired from his job at Visionary Related Entertainment doing nights on KPOI. No. Easy - just tell a board op to pot up the satellite feed... it's cheaper that way. Nothing. There are no other time slots for him, and if there were, it would be cheaper to use someone else who works for less money.

Comment

Bummer. Well, there's always podcasting! Could go well with a new book...

Comment

Damit without radio what's Phil suppose to do? Just ride on his moped thru waikiki endlessly.
                'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

aloha,

Originally posted by bitachu
                  Damit without radio what's Phil suppose to do? Just ride on his moped thru waikiki endlessly.
                  Isn't that what I do in my spare time anyway. I LOVE Waikiki. Mahalo for the article Ericka. She only had space for a small blurb, but lets just say I had a bad day. Callled at 9 for a 1015 meeting. Minor moped mishap on the way to the meeting to get fired at 930am 4th of July. i just missed breaking my collar bone and sholder... hit some gravel. Bloody. Got up and went and parked the bike at work. Cleaned up. got fired. I SAID "Thanks for the Ride." Got my head phones, train whistle, and left to get pain killers and a shower...

What will I do? Good question? Tell ya' what, not gonna CRY, or be that "IustabethatGuy"... Not angry. Not bitter. I DO want to say a big Mahalo NUI LOA to all my island listeners at both KPOIs since 1993 and "The Edge" studios on Bishop Street... I've met and played songs for many of you.

First off, I look forward to what ever the future holds for me. Simply, put I am a professional. I have had years of experiences in radio since i was in high school, and interning at KTIM in San Rafael. And everything that goes along with it. I have a Bachelor degree in Broadcast Communication Arts. I was not only a DJ, at 975KPOI for over 10 years, but also the interim Program Director, Assistant Program Director, Music director, producer of commercials, interviewer, concert promoter, photographer, actor, copywriter, bar promotions, sales, publicity, marketing, programing. I was also BOBFMs (KHUI) program director for like 6 months toward the end of "New Wave. The end of "New Wave," you wouldn't believe the trumphs, meltdowns, strife, pressure, and I saw it all. 11 Months at the new KPOI. The most requested air personality on their roster to make appearances, with a perfect consistant work record simply replaced by a mainland syndicated radio program feed.

I have a book coming out before the end of the year.

Peace, Fil/

Comment

Fired and a road burn wipe out. that's a pretty crappy holiday.
                    we hope ya heal from it and we are sure you'll rebound to something bigger, better and brighter.

Comment

I just gotta say that that response from Fil/
                      was really in strong character

Others I'm sure- including me-
                      may not have been
                      so polite

I enjoyed reading your extended list of "radio" duties...
                      that could have been my list as well, in radio we pretty
                      much do just about everything... (we're asked)

I'd add that the rest of your crew shouldn't be too content-
                      That syndicated TED NUGENT show could sound ok
                      in mid day or afternoon drive...

someone else here said that morning drive is the last
                      bastion of live radio... and you know as well as I, that
                      morning drive can be canned too-

so everyone's time slot is fair game...

If you read an earlier thread i mentioned that I began
                      radio life at KUAI AM 720 moons ago, before automation...
                      with four full time, 3 or so part timers...

Now it's completely canned, the main studio? a PC

and of course it's now a part of a bigger group of?
                      5 stations... 6 stations... I don't know- but I do know it's
                      gone from the leading station Kauai had, back in the 70's
                      early 80's... to a single workstation PC afterthought

Try breaking into radio there... I'm glad a was a nube
                      back then and not now.
                      Last edited by '79 KUAI Jock; July 7, 2005, 10:00 AM.

Comment

One thing about this biz is that you cannot take it personally, as said it is the nature of this business and if you haven't been fired yet in radio, then you haven't worked in the business long enough. That revolving door keeps a spinning.

Good luck Phil, I'm sure you'll land another slot somewhere. As for podcasting, it's not the same as live radio, its more like voice tracking and that ain't radio either! Nothing like the good old triple deck cart machines slamming that cart in and messing up the head alignment, and with your thumb on the green button, cracking the mic and saying: Up on deck... and you literally mean it! Alas now you point and click and go "F9" and let the playlist bore you to death at the console.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wasn't Fil Slash a moderator at the old 97.5 KPOI message board?

Comment

aloha,
                            Originally posted by islands
                            Wasn't Fil Slash a moderator at the old 97.5 KPOI message board?
                            Yes, but I forgot all the passwords... Is it still up?

peace,

fil/

Comment

Originally posted by filslash
                              aloha,

Yes, but I forgot all the passwords... Is it still up?

peace,

fil/
                              Yes, http://kpoi.proboards18.com is still up. And so is the old 97.5 KPOI website.

Comment

Working...
                              X