Hawaii Radio on the Mainland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Radio on the Mainland

For the past year, I've been hosting a Hawaiian music show on 88.5 FM/KCSN in Los Angeles -- the only island music show in the entire city, as far as I know.

I'm wondering if you guys know of other Hawaiian radio shows on the mainland, and if there's any sort of resource out there for them. I've been having trouble getting word out about my show, and getting music as well. I know there's an appetite for Hawaiian music in L.A. -- I just attended the Keali'i Reichel show at the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday, and the place was packed. But I'm wondering if you know how other Hawaiian shows get the word out...

Re: Hawaii Radio on the Mainland

Haveing problems with getting music to play? Contact Pacific Hawaiian Music, Aloha Music Group and Mountain Apple and I'm sure that they would be more than happy to send you CD's.

Um, is it only Traditional Music?

Comment

It's all kinds -- traditional, contemporary, Hawaiian reggae/jawaiian, anything with a Hawaii connection...

I'm on some lists, including Mountain Apple...

I guess my larger question is, how do we make some noise, get the word out to expats?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctah
        I guess my larger question is, how do we make some noise, get the word out to expats?
        Have you tried sites like www.alohaworld.com or others that are out there to keep expats informed of Hawaii and things Hawaiian?

Comment

create a human interest timely story and submit the basic idea to features editor of the LA times calendar and also Los Angeles magazine.
          maybe they will do a story.
          or pm me yer mail, cuz I may get a Hawaii related thing in there...

Comment

If you've got the budget, do a live remote from an L&L Drive-in.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I've been having trouble getting word out about my show
              You can e-mail the very large number of hula halau that exist in SoCal. You'll find a list of them and their e-mail addresses at http://mele.com/halau.shtml#ca . There are also Hawaiian Clubs at most of the SoCal colleges and universities.
              Good luck to you, and thanks for supporting Hawaiian music!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Eh, Doctah, is this you and your program? http://kcsn.org/programs/hawaiianeye.html
                Cool!!
                One minor suggestion, if you don't mind: you might want to consider changing the copy regarding reggae-style Jawaiian music. I think you'll find that the Ka`au Crater Boys and the Hawaiian Style Band aren't "Jawaiian" music at all but instead would be "Island Contemporary" bands.
                Again, best of luck to you!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's all kinds -- traditional, contemporary, Hawaiian reggae/jawaiian, anything with a Hawaii connection...

I'm on some lists, including Mountain Apple...

Contact Odel Chinen at PHMD and Mila Gibson at ALoha Music Group to request music to be sent to you.

I also passed your request to HuiMusic.com and Geebz said he would broadcast a request to artists to send you music through the site. He wants you to contact him for details.

Hopes this helps!

Comment

"Hawai`i Radio Connection" airs on two stations here in the Seattle area (two completely different programs, but with the same rotating team of hosts) -

* Saturdays, 8-9 am on KXPA-AM 1540 --- a multi-cultural, commercial station; we buy an hour of time, and sell commercials to businesses that want to reach the large Hawaiian/Pacific Islander community here;

* Saturdays, Noon-2 pm on KBCS-FM 91.3 --- non-commercial community radio station (you can hear the station live on the web at kbcs.fm); this program has been on the air in one form or another for about 14 years.

I'm one of the group of about ten hosts who rotate through, and I regularly co-host both shows on the first Saturday of each month (known on-air as Uncle Gregg.)

In addition, there are Hawaiian music shows on non-commercial stations north of Seattle (KSER/Lynnwood-Everett area) and south (KAOS/Olympia), as well as on another commercial station in town (KKNW.)

As for acquiring music, it helps that I also program Hawaiian music for Muzak (heard throughout the Islands in malls, airports, stores and restaurants), as well as writing reviews for our monthly paper, the Northwest Hawai`i Times. So I've established relationships with most of the record companies, and made time to talk in person with a lot of them when I get back to O`ahu.

As noted above, Odell Chinen and Malia Gibson are wonderful people to talk with, and I'm sure they'll help you out. So will Cindy Lance at Hula Records.

Comment

T'anks, eh, everyone, for all the advice. Lika Nui -- good point about the Crater Boys and Hawaiian Style Band... I've been meaning to get that page updated with more artists anyway...

Comment

Working...
                      X