Perry and Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry and Price

I know they're really popular, but I can't listen to Michael W. Perry and Larry Price. They grate on my nerves and push all the wrong buttons for me. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool NPR liberal, and they seem really conservative to me. Maybe not Rick Hamada, Rush Limbaugh conservative, but enough to put me off my feed. Am I wrong?

Re: Perry and Price

I love Perry and Price when I use to listen to them. I remember couple of years ago when we had our resturant on Hotel Street, the "Posse" was on the look-out for a car. Just so happen this Auntie was right in the back. The car stopped. The male suspect stopped the car, ran into Kobayashi Hotel near College Walk with the box of stolen meat from Aala Meat Market. He took one look at me, thru the box of meat on the couch in the lobby. Ran like a chicken without a head, out the back door. I waited for the officer to arrive and left incognito. Ahhhhh...those were the exciting days for me.

Once in awhile, I listen. I will go back to listen more often now. They still have their Saturday morning show? I always wanted to take MAMA to one of them. Their personalities compliments each other. They are great entertainers as well as Radio Announcers!

Auntie Lynn

That's Perry on the left. And Price on the Right!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 27, 2005, 03:03 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My memory must be fading with old age. There was a thread about morning shows last year that talked about Perry and Price a lot. I had completely forgotten about it until I did a google just now.

Comment

Das ok Glen...I losing my memory too! I'm sure Mel can fix it together.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ah. I knew the topic sounded familiar. No, I don't think there's any attempt on Perry's part to disguise or soften his ideological slant (which isn't to say you can't find an ideological slant to NPR).

It's not so much the position he takes on issues that bothers me, though (i.e. "FEMA was faultless, it was all those local leaders that messed up" from this morning), so much as it is:

One, the fact that he's not a particularly good political commentator in a "friendly morning show" venue that's not particularly suited for political screeds (see earlier post). And,

Two, more importantly, his relentless slagging on "the media" and its biases... when he himself is part of the Big Media Machine (Clear Channel) and is in fact toeing their political line quite directly.

He and KSSK might not be part of the so-called "Liberal Media," but no doubt about it, he's just as much a part of a mainstream machine as Howard Stern and Ariana Huffington.
          Last edited by pzarquon; September 27, 2005, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            I know they're really popular, but I can't listen to Michael W. Perry and Larry Price. They grate on my nerves and push all the wrong buttons for me. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool NPR liberal, and they seem really conservative to me. Maybe not Rick Hamada, Rush Limbaugh conservative, but enough to put me off my feed. Am I wrong?
            Perhaps one of the reasons why P & P remain #1 is that they connect to their generally older (WWII era, baby boomers and inbetweeners) audiences who don't have many other stations to turn to for just the right mix of music, news and information. Music is still the driving force in radio, information 2nd and news 3rd IMO.

Younger audiences will probably never get their favorites to #1 in the current market since it is so fragmented... you got 2 or 3 stations playing "island music/reggae/contemporary hawaiian", 2 stations playing hip-hop, 1 each in top 40 and alt rock which pretty much splits the younger audience... not to mention a lot of younger listeners probably despise radio altogether and are listening to their iPods and CDs. Most of these people IMO prefer not to listen to news, information or talk.

So that leaves the older and possibly more educated to gravitate to Perry & Price for music, news, talk and info or if they prefer no music, to NPR Morning Edition or KHVH for talk and news.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

P & P used to be non-partisan in the past and just took in listener's comments. Slowly however Michael W. Perry started to reveal a more conservative side.

When KHVH was bought out by Patterson Broadcasting from Henry Broadcasting KHVH became a sister station of KSSK. That's when I noticed a slight leaning to the right from the P&P show and it has continued it's wayward tilt ever since especially when the two stations became affixed physically in the move to the Dole Cannery in Iwilei.

Had Rick Hamada influenced Michael W. Perry that much or at all? Both share the same PD (a great guy I might add). One thing is clear to me is that KSSK started developing a more conservative stance ever since KHVH became associated with it.

The fact however that KSSK is still the #1 rated morning drive radio show tells me that there are a lot of democrats that are closet republicans. My neighbor who was a state senator and a staunch democrat was one of them when he retired he voted republican for the first time!

Regardless of party affiliation though, I think P&P will always rate as the best for as long as they continue to add value to their morning broadcast with a variety of entertainment and information capsules.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X