Adam Carr is no longer simulcast on KSSK AM 590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Carr is no longer simulcast on KSSK AM 590

I just noticed that Adam Carr is heard only on 92-3 KSSK, while KSSK AM 590 features John Tesh from 7:00 pm to midnight. When I observed that Adam Carr is no longer being simulcast on AM 590, I thought for a moment that AM 590 switched to Adult Standards, but AM 590 still programs AC, and they still simulcast FM 92.3 overnights. I think it would make sense to keep FM 92.3 AC while flipping AM 590 to Adult Standards.

Re: Adam Carr is no longer simulcast on KSSK AM 590

Originally posted by IBadget
    I think it would make sense to keep FM 92.3 AC while flipping AM 590 to Adult Standards.
    No it doesn't make economic sense. KSSK AM is a top 10 station in this market with its AC format. They make money with adult contemporary music. Switching to adult standards would certainly doom the station to less revenues, loss of ratings and no profit.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KSSK has been talking about Tesh for 2 weeks now,so you shouldn't have been surprised. As for KSSK AM changing formats,why change success?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo
        KSSK has been talking about Tesh for 2 weeks now,so you shouldn't have been surprised. As for KSSK AM changing formats,why change success?
        Sorry, I haven't been listening to KSSK long enough to find out that John Tesh was going to be on AM 590 starting June 1. As for AM 590 changing formats, I think that AM 590 should change formats because if you already have AC on FM 92.3, it is wasteful to duplicate that same format on AM 590. We sure could use a different format like Adult Standards or 50s and 60s Oldies. Clear Channel coins 50s and 60s Oldies as "Real Oldies." So, if it is not economically feasable to program Adult Standards, AM 590 ought to program 50s and 60s Oldies as "Real Oldies 590."

Comment

While you think KSSK should change formats, the practical reality of the market situation is that they won't. KSSK AM is successful with the format they already have. They are the highest rated AM station in Honolulu.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Too bad I can't pick up KSSK out here in Kea'au. Just made the move out here last week and so far I haven't had much chance to listen much. I did tune into B-97? They have a good Hawaiian mix and the morning drive reminds me of Rory and Greg in the mornings.

Yeah that is bad that Adam won't be simulcasting on the AM anymore. I was hoping that I could DX and pick up the AM signal during the evenings.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Too bad I can't pick up KSSK out here in Kea'au. Just made the move out here last week and so far I haven't had much chance to listen much. I did tune into B-97? They have a good Hawaiian mix and the morning drive reminds me of Rory and Greg in the mornings.

Yeah that is bad that Adam won't be simulcasting on the AM anymore. I was hoping that I could DX and pick up the AM signal during the evenings.

Yo hello Craig!

Good to see you here.

I thought Hilo's B97 is playing a classic rock format? The morning guy is supposed to be DC. Perhaps you were listening to KWXX their sister station, which does play Hawaiian music... unless things have again changed on the Big Island.

I take it no one in Hilo is playing "adult standards".... oh wait, Mynah Bird at KHBC is probably playing some of that stuff.

mel
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You're right Mel. I had to go to my car to find the freq and actually it's 92.7 that plays the Hawaiian music.

Try walking to your car just past 11pm in the dark down here in Kea'au near the coast where the Heiau is just a few hundred feet away from you and legends of Night Marchers abound here in, "THE AINA" Yep Kea'au is a great place to talk story and get chicken skin...fo' real kine!

As for B97, I had the chance to sit and talk with DC in the studios a few months ago when I was visiting. Nice guy. I wish I could work for that group but then again, I'd be willing to work for any radio station in Hilo as that radio itch is getting pretty intense after a year's absense since leaving CC, you know gotta earn those stripes again.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Hey Craig,

Good to see you here... I'm sure your family is very happy that you finally made the move to Big Island. Hope everyone is well. Looking forward to your observations on Big Island radio.

Yeah, no mo' simulcast on KSSK until Midnight. Decision was made to go with John Tesh a few months back. Makes more sense to have a show like that on "The information station" anyway. "Intelligence for life" is how it's billed, and it sounds really good. Once people get used to it, should be a real benefit to the station. (Sounds as pretty local as well, we've got Tesh reading windough sticker plates and all.) Nights on the AM needed something else, Tesh is a good answer.

I do get calls wondering my show went... I re-direct 'em to the FM... You'd be surprised though "FM? What dat?" Is a typical response...

Take care,
                  Adam

Comment

Hey Adam,

Too bad we couldn't connect before I left. Tell Paul Wilson that I did my own little signal survey Saturday afternoon while driving to Kona from Hilo via Honokaa. While going to Kona I can barely pick up KSSK-FM when I hit Laupahoehoe. It's really strong all the way into Kona and stays that way up until maybe 20-miles before you reach the Volcano House. Once you hit that mark, the signal drops almost completely and then you're in the void as you drop into Puna. Tell him I'd send him a box of Big Island Candies every month if he'd drop a repeater so we can get KSSK into Hilo. By the way you can also tell him the P&P suggestion didn't fly with "you know who" he'll know who I was talking about, too bad.

So if you see Cathy with a K tell her thanks for the company from Laupahoehoe to Kona this past Saturday. I really miss you guys over at CC.

Comment

Working...
                    X