Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have traditional Hawaiian music, but what about traditional American music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have traditional Hawaiian music, but what about traditional American music?

It's ironic that KKNE AM 940 plays traditional Hawaiian music, but sister station KRTR AM 650 doesn't play traditional American music, e.g., Fred Astaire, Vic Damone, Jo Stafford, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Patti Page, Billie Holiday, Lena Horne, Doris Day, Peggy Lee, Nancy Wilson, Dean Martin, Jerry Vale, and many other artists of the Great American Songbook. AM 650's easy listening favorites consist mostly of classic light rock artists with a sprinkling of instrumentals and 50s/early 60s oldies. AM 650's music is also sort of getting out of hand, e.g., they now include "Another Sad Love Song" by Toni Braxton, "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by the Temptations, "Just An Old-Fashioned Love Song" by Three Dog Night, "I Second That Emotion" by the Miracles, "My World Is Empty Without You" by the Supremes, "More Than A Woman" by the Bee Gees, "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" by Andy Gibb, and "Turn Your Love Around" by George Benson. I think those songs are too upbeat for an easy listening format. I think AM 650 should get rid of the light rock songs that you can hear on KUMU FM and KSSK and add adult standards artists. If we can have the Great Hawaiian Songbook offered by AM 940, we should have the Great American Songbook.

Re: We have traditional Hawaiian music, but what about traditional American music?

two points:
    1) there are many great american songbbooks.
    2) the list you gave is not known as traditional american music.
    this is:
    http://www.roots66.com/roots66/

fred astaire et al, would be songs and pop music of the 40's and 50's and somewhat into the 60's.

"traditional american music" reaches much further back than the era you allude to.
    Last edited by kimo55; March 10, 2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X