Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Adult Standards

Aloha,

This forum has been a great tool for me and my learning about the biz and so on. I have 2 questions for all of you in radio that can probably help me on some research I'm doing on Hawaiian Music.

Who were (are) the top artists in Hawaiian Adult Standards (traditional and contemporary) pre 70's?

What radio station in Hawaii do you think is true to the format mentioned above?

Thanks,

TY Lee

Re: Hawaiian Adult Standards

Ohta San, Don Ho, Makaha Sons of Hawaii, SOS Band, Martin Denny, The Alii's, The Krush, Carol Kai, Marlene Sai, Genoa Keawe, Danny Kaleikini, Elvis Presley (Yep Blue Hawaii) just to name a few and there's a lot out there. Does Territorial music fall into this standard?

In the 70's groups like Kalapana, C&K, Olomana, Country Comfort, Summer dominated the local top 40 hits along with Gabby Pahinui, Palani Vaghn, Liz Damon, Nohelani Cypriano (saw her name in one of the later Homegrown albums) among others. In the 60's there were record albums for The Battle of The Bands at the Civic Auditorium, then KKUA's Homegrown series of albums in the 70's then KIKI's Brown Bags to Stardom in the 80's.

Definately the 70's took Hawaiian music to another level with artists like Macky Feary. Groups like Kalapana (Kojak's) allowed teenagers at that time like myself appreciate local music when top 40 included names like Diana Ross, Olivia Newton John, Elton John, Chicago, Donny and Marie dominated the top 40's. KKUA published a local top 40 every week with the top 5 or 10 in bold print. Early 70's featured mainland groups like The Ventures who's smash hit is still popular today: the theme to Hawaii 5-0. Then there's My Hawaii another song that popularized Hawaii. Local artists gone national such as Yvonne Ellman, Bett Midler and Liz Damon

Then KKUA brought out Homegrown and the rest is history.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This message board is a good start for your research, but you would do well to contact Harry B. Soria (leave a message for him at Cox Radio Hawaii) and track down Keaumiki Akui somehow ... you might also contact members of the Hawaii Academy of Recording Artists (Google the organization to find the Web site/contact info). Longtime newspaper columnists like my colleague Ben Wood, who knows a lot of the old time entertainers personally, might also be helpful.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
        and track down Keaumiki Akui somehow ...
        Funny thing is, I was just talking to someone about Keaumiki just last week, and this person told me that Keaumiki is back on staff at KINE/KCCN, though not on the air.
        Keaumiki had told me, after the fall of KCCN-AM, that he was going back into the real world to use his engineering degree, but things may have changed. Anyway, checking at the station(s) may be the first step to try.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Isn't the new KHUI 99.5 playing some of this more traditional Hawaiian music now? For sure the Hawaiian music show airing on KTUH 90.3 FM Sunday afternoons from 3 to 6 has a lot of older music featured.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Lee
            Aloha,

This forum has been a great tool for me and my learning about the biz and so on. I have 2 questions for all of you in radio that can probably help me on some research I'm doing on Hawaiian Music.

Who were (are) the top artists in Hawaiian Adult Standards (traditional and contemporary) pre 70's?

What radio station in Hawaii do you think is true to the format mentioned above?

Thanks,

TY Lee
            Moe Keale would prolly fit into this group as well.

Comment

Keaumiki works for OHA...

Comment

Working...
              X