Spring Arbitrons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Arbitrons

The Spring Arbitrons* were released yesterday. KSSK FM is still on top. That's nothing new. Star Bulletin's Erika Engle notes other dramatic changes in the ratings in her story posted today. Family friendly radio may be catching on, while Da Bomb loses a key morning show player. The discussion topic is now open.

* Form may need to be filled out
    Last edited by mel; August 1, 2004, 08:53 AM. Reason: added footnote - fix typo
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Spring Arbitrons
    1. KSSK-FM (Clear Channel - AC): 11.2
    2. KINE-FM (Cox - Hawaiian AC): 8.1
    3. KRTR-FM (Cox - AC): 7.1
    4. KSSK-AM (Clear Channel - AC): 5.4
    5. KCCN-FM (Cox - Hawaiian CHR): 5.3

Apart from KSSK FM's position at number one, the top four seem to stay pretty much the same (KINE, KRTR, KCCN), just in different positions. The high position of an AM station in the overall ratings is pretty remarkable to me, though.

It makes sense that Erika has to focus her analysis in the "Top 5 to 15" range as a result, but to me, once you're down there, it hardly makes a difference to me. They're just fighting for scraps. I mean, what's the margin of error? By the numbers, it seems you could get into "statistically insignificant" territory pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Apart from KSSK FM's position at number one, the top four seem to stay pretty much the same (KINE, KRTR, KCCN), just in different positions. The high position of an AM station in the overall ratings is pretty remarkable to me, though.

It makes sense that Erika has to focus her analysis in the "Top 5 to 15" range as a result, but to me, once you're down there, it hardly makes a difference to me. They're just fighting for scraps. I mean, what's the margin of error? By the numbers, it seems you could get into "statistically insignificant" territory pretty quickly.
      What is posted in Erikas' column and the columns we see in the daily newspapers are what you call 12+ ratings. Most advertisers do not buy off of these ratings. Most agencies buy off of targeted demographics, 18-34 or 18-49 or 25-54. Some of these top 5 stations are not tops in some of those demos. An agency might go straight to the demo they are targeting and buy the top 3 stations in their targeted demo. Or we may buy a combination of stations within a group for a good discounted price and get our ads on the entire groups stations. So in reality these numbers are just the face of the picture but not the guts. Some stations listed outside of the bottom 10 may make more money than some in the top 5.

Comment

I think a lot of stations in the bottom part of the ratings heap stay alive by selling block programming.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
          What is posted in Erikas' column and the columns we see in the daily newspapers are what you call 12+ ratings. Most advertisers do not buy off of these ratings. Most agencies buy off of targeted demographics, 18-34 or 18-49 or 25-54. Some of these top 5 stations are not tops in some of those demos. An agency might go straight to the demo they are targeting and buy the top 3 stations in their targeted demo. Or we may buy a combination of stations within a group for a good discounted price and get our ads on the entire groups stations. So in reality these numbers are just the face of the picture but not the guts. Some stations listed outside of the bottom 10 may make more money than some in the top 5.
          To clarify -- the Star-Bulletin's TV and radio ratings coverage usually appear as byline stories, as opposed to in my column. The charts we publish, are per Arbitron guidelines, 12+. My stories DO go into the demo details, but I never get as much space as I'd like to report as much detail as I'd like.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Looks Like KHVH took a big hit in the ratings too, 1.5 drop from last year, I think this drop shows the lack of talent especially Hamada, hope they finally get rid of him.

Originally posted by pzarquon

Comment

Working...
            X