No announcement yet.

Why is KUMU FM different from KAOI FM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is KUMU FM different from KAOI FM?

KUMU FM 94.7 on Oahu and KAOI FM 95.1 on Maui are AC stations. Both stations are owned by Visionary Related Entertainment. However, their are differences between the two stations. First, KUMU FM carries Delilah, whereas KAOI FM doesn't. Second, KUMU FM only plays music of the 80s, 90s, and today, whereas KAOI FM includes 70s gold in their playlist. I thought KUMU FM was going to copy KAOI FM after being sold to Visionary, but KUMU FM is now copying Cox's KRTR FM 96.3. Can anyone explain why KUMU FM is different from KAOI FM?

Re: Why is KUMU FM different from KAOI FM?

Because it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelT
      Because it is.
      KUMU FM should not be different from KAOI FM because both stations are owned by Visionary, feature AC, and have the word "Lite" in their slogans. KUMU FM has the slogan "Lite Rock" and KAOI FM has the slogan "Lite Hits and Island Favorites." If Visionary is to have a standardized approach to AC, then either (1) KUMU FM and KAOI FM have to play music from the 80s, 90s, and today, or (2) KUMU FM and KAOI FM have to play music of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today.

Comment

Um. If you have two stations in a market, why would you make them identical?

I think the two taglines, "Lite Rock" and "Lite Hits and Island Favorites," are sufficiently distinctive and understandable. I don't see how they're playing stuff far outside of those descriptions.

Besides, there's a lot more room under the umbrella of "Adult Contemporary" than your more narrowly defined "Adult Standards" format. If you're saying they should be playing stuff from either the 70s to the present or from the 80s to the present... aren't they already?

Comment

Originally posted by IBadget
          KUMU FM 94.7 on Oahu and KAOI FM 95.1 on Maui are AC stations. Both stations are owned by Visionary Related Entertainment. However, their are differences between the two stations. First, KUMU FM carries Delilah, whereas KAOI FM doesn't. Second, KUMU FM only plays music of the 80s, 90s, and today, whereas KAOI FM includes 70s gold in their playlist. I thought KUMU FM was going to copy KAOI FM after being sold to Visionary, but KUMU FM is now copying Cox's KRTR FM 96.3. Can anyone explain why KUMU FM is different from KAOI FM?
          We got 2 different markets here, so each station is tailored for that market. There is almost no market for adult standards. Look what happened to KUMU AM. Low ratings, new owner dumped that format and they now have talk. That is reality. Station has to pay the bills. Been over this many times before.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
          X