KIKI Returns To St. John as Station V/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIKI Returns To St. John as Station V/O

Wow, is it just me or does KIKI really seem like its on a downhill roller coaster? I've noticed the only strong thing left on the station is the morning show. I've been listening lately and noticed their using St. John as their station voice again. Is this their atempt at returning to the glory days of I-94? IMHO, St. John has a very annoying delievery!

Any thoughts?

Also does anybody know where I can find some of the old KIKI alumni? I was there in 2000 and I lost touch with most of them. What are they up to now days?

Tati
    Pablo Sato
    John James
    Chaz Michaels
    Fred Rico
    Shawnee

Re: KIKI Returns To St. John as Station V/O

Originally posted by hawaii_media View Post
    Wow, is it just me or does KIKI really seem like its on a downhill roller coaster? I've noticed the only strong thing left on the station is the morning show. I've been listening lately and noticed their using St. John as their station voice again. Is this their atempt at returning to the glory days of I-94? IMHO, St. John has a very annoying delievery!

Any thoughts?

Also does anybody know where I can find some of the old KIKI alumni? I was there in 2000 and I lost touch with most of them. What are they up to now days?

Tati
    Pablo Sato
    John James
    Chaz Michaels
    Fred Rico
    Shawnee
    The glory days went way back to the late 70's early 80's when KIKI was on the AM dial doing top 40 on 830 in stereo with Kamasami Kong, Frank Shaner, Cliff Richards, Noe Tanigawa, Shawn Sweeny and yes our very own Tiny Nitro Tadani doing weekends and the rest that I can't remember. And checking out the music was the music director...Michael T who I think had the best job in radio.

At that time I-94 was 93.9 KMAI Solid Gold under Craig Quick.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the usual history lesson Craig

Comment

Tati
        Pablo Sato
        John James
        Chaz Michaels
        Fred Rico
        Shawnee
        I've got family who worked with most of 'em...

Tati - Working in San Diego
        Pablo Sato - Selling steaks in Honolulu
        John James - Working in Las Vegas
        Chaz Michaels - In Honolulu... I think
        Fred Rico - Working somewhere in the South
        Shawnee - Hammer's wife... doing TV on OC-16

And Craig is right. The glory days were the 80's.

Comment

Palolo, thanks for the update, I'll have to reachout to a few of them! Congrats to the ones doing radio on the mainland. But, Pablos Sato sells steaks? Whats with that?

And the history lesson was a short jab at Craig, as it always seems we get a history lesson from him. I agree radio was a different monster back then when I was a kid, but dont sell the talent that I asked about short. Now that I see their on the mainland in pretty big markets, they must have done something right.

IMO it sounded l ike a little slam to the ones I asked about, I could be wrong as I dont know Craig!

Comment

Chaz back at I-94

Comment

\But, Pablos Sato sells steaks? Whats with that?
              My sources tell me that he wanted to get out of radio and try something different. He sells them by the honolulu compusa.

And I gues they brought back "the voice" to better "compete" against the other stations, as they have a deep announcer voice (or when I last heard them - I always listen to i-94.)
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                My sources tell me that he wanted to get out of radio and try something different.
                Your sources are wrong. He got fired.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                  My sources tell me that he wanted to get out of radio and try something different.
                  Ah, yes. Sounds like the classic "is pursuing other options" line - a euphemism for "got canned."

Comment

I'm not slamming anyone over at I-94 and I'm sorry if it sound that way as I worked with many of them back when I-94 was on Queen street before the merger with CC (During the Henry broadcasting days) with Rory Wild and good old Slick Vic (Victor Harris) and Sam da Man, Pablo, Fresca and a whole lot of em that used to blast our KHVH On-Air studio with the heavy rap.

Man I had to go in and scold them like an old fart parent telling the kids to TURN IT DOWN...THE BASS IS BLEEDING INTO OUR STUDIOS NEXT DOOR.

Nothing like Rick Hamada doing his morning show and Rory next door pumping up the Jam.

Radio has been my passion being in it since 1979 up in Idaho then coming back to Hawaii and having my first stint at AM 830 KIKI. Robert Zix (Kamasami Kong) gave me my start in radio.

Comment

Another history lesson. Greg you should see if a local elementry school would be interested in having you come over and talk to the kids about radio. I talked to a few guys who work, and worked at CC and only Chaz Michaels knew of you. He had nice things to say about you. Are you still a board op? Cool. Anyway, thanks Joe for the info on a few of the old KIKI staffers, I was able to get intouch with a few of them. You were 100% correct of their current gigs. Tati is doing mornings and middays at Z90 in San Diego, Chaz is at KIKI, and John James is the Imaging Director at KLUC in Las Vegas, still trying to reachout to the others.

Greg, perhaps you might wanna keep your radio memories to the radio memories section of the board? Just a thought, I mean it is there for you!

Aloha,

HM

Comment

My my my,dissing your elders! First of all his name is Craig. Reading comprehension skills are helpful. As for CC, I've been there since '94,long before Chaz was around. The folks you know at CC have very little institutional memory. Craig does. I do. Lanai does. Rory and Hamada too . Not many other,on-air.Seniority on KIKI is what,4 years? You may want to listen and learn. It's a ruthless business with little margin for error. You may want to ask John James about his stint as production director at CC here.

Comment

Another history lesson. Greg you should see if a local elementry school would be interested in having you come over and talk to the kids about radio. I talked to a few guys who work, and worked at CC and only Chaz Michaels knew of you. He had nice things to say about you. Are you still a board op? Cool. Anyway, thanks Joe for the info on a few of the old KIKI staffers, I was able to get intouch with a few of them. You were 100% correct of their current gigs. Tati is doing mornings and middays at Z90 in San Diego, Chaz is at KIKI, and John James is the Imaging Director at KLUC in Las Vegas, still trying to reachout to the others.

Greg, perhaps you might wanna keep your radio memories to the radio memories section of the board? Just a thought, I mean it is there for you!

Aloha,

HM
                          Thanks for the support Palolo lolo but we in radio all know you gotta take the criticism in stride.

As for my radio history lessons being on another thread, I'll take that as constructive but wasn't it you Hawaii_Media that brought up "The Glory Days" issue? I'm just commenting on what was truly the glory days of KIKI.

Thanks for asking Chaz if he remembers me. It's been over 4-years since I left CC. I did get a great letter of recommendation from my boss there PD Paul Wilson. And hmmmm I think I still have the warm line number for the KSSK studio too somewhere in my cell phone address book.

Comment

Working...
                          X