Brock Whaley on KPOI FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brock Whaley on KPOI FM

I agree, too much talk. No comedy, no bits, nothing entertaining. Same old Brock.

Brock Whaley is a great afternoon drive personality. Hopefully they'll blow out Dave Lawrence and Brock can do afternoon drive again. Dave is the worst KPOI dj in their history, please have Dave follow Mr. Ed with walking papers.

Comment

I disagree about Dave Lawrence, but I totally understand the sentiment. He gets a bit annoying, especially with all the mutual-admiration-society stuff he and his listeners have, but I believe it's a genuine affection and admiration both ways, and sincerity goes a long way with me.

Besides, I have never heard a better (rock and roll) radio interviewer on Hawaii radio. Dave knows how to ask good questions and kisses up just enough to express the sentiments of most rock fans and not go overboard. His interviews are almost always worth listening to; I especially like the stuff he did with Sammy Hagar, asking him about Edward Van Halen.

Ed Kanoi, I think, is more my speed for the mornings. I need music, not talking, during the drive in, and when there is talking, I like a mellow, laid-back guy like Ed. I'm going to give Brock a chance, but this may be the thing that sends me back to HPR, or maybe I'll dig up the old iTrip.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The thing I can't stand about Dave Lawrence is his perpetual poor imitation of Tommy Chong.

Listen to him! Can't you just hear him trying to say, "Dave? Dave's not here!"
        Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Wow.. the B-Rock is back? cool!

I remember that very, VERY sad day when 97.5FM (old school 98 Rock) went from playing Van Halen's cover of the Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again' ...and then without warning, the next morning, Charlie Espina was promoting their new Reggae/Jawaiian format...

Comment

Don't know who the traffic director is at KPOI, but he or she's asleep on the job. I was driving Sunday afternoon and heard "Catch Ed Kanoi tomorrow morning at 5 on KPOI" or something like that.

One nice thing Brock's still doing is Breakfast with the Beatles at 7:00. I might could live with him for a few more weeks.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Music director is slacking,too. They played the same new song by Shaw/Blades
              3 days in a row at the same time 04:05am. And Dave's constant feeding of his ego on-air is really irritating

Comment

Man, I love that new Shaw/Blades remake of "Your Move." Kicks butt, and killer vocals.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pali View Post
                  Wow.. the B-Rock is back? cool!

I remember that very, VERY sad day when 97.5FM (old school 98 Rock) went from playing Van Halen's cover of the Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again' ...and then without warning, the next morning, Charlie Espina was promoting their new Reggae/Jawaiian format...
                  Is Charlie Espina still around on the dial? I remember thinking she was the black widow spider because she was always still around when the other jocks left or got fired.

Comment

LOL! Black widow spider.. I like that

not sure... haven't heard anything about her in a while....

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                      Is Charlie Espina still around on the dial? I remember thinking she was the black widow spider because she was always still around when the other jocks left or got fired.
                      I believe she got married and moved to a neighbor island.

Comment

What is up with B-Rock. First he goes on the air with a side kick, Jimmy Mack. Then after a week, Jimmy is gone. Now all I hear is Brock reading linners, plugging Dave Lawrence who is begging for his job in the afternoon, giving us numerous weather reports and playing the traffic report over music.

Did Brock Whaley come back to KPOI to read linners? I don't think so, but it sure sounds like it.

Comment

Where's Brock Whaley? Is he MIA? He must have realized this is not the same KPOI that he had worked for in the 80's and 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                            I believe she got married and moved to a neighbor island.

last I heard she was working for Pacific Radio Group over on Maui..(some background or administrative position)... but I just checked their site and her name is no longer listed on there. hmmm.

the latest updated page with info on her:
                            http://www.haleakalatimes.com/news/story2374.aspx

Comment

Re: Brock Whaley on KPOI FM, Ed Kanoi on 107.9

Ed Kanoi is now at 107.9, the oldies station w/ the Kap'n. This is great b/c the other guy that was w/ the Kap'n was someone straight outta right-wing talk radio. I hope he sticks around on the air.

Their combo thus far is pretty good, even though I think Ed's adjusting to the oldies format. I was never really around for Brock Whaley, but I really liked Ed in the morning. Brock is too flashy for my liking. Ed is more of a regular just having a good time (and saying hi to Angelina).

And as for Dave Lawrence. Whenever he says anything I immediately switch the dial. The sound of his voice is more irritating to me than Gilbert Godfrey singing karaoke w/ an alley cat.

Comment

I'll listen for the dude that's back. I can't hardly workout without 105.9 on! I'm just grateful we HAVE that station. In my 13yrs. here I think I can remember actually losing one and then it coming back. did I dream this? LOL....we had classic rock and then it went away on that station? or am I just remembering the on and off again country music antics of this island?
                                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                                X