KKOA 107.7 Big Island Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KKOA 107.7 Big Island Country

Thanks Mel for turning me on to this station.

I've been listening to this country station now for about an hour now and I've come to realize the new subject in country music themes, broken love and broken Chevy's.

It used to be if you played a country song backwards on the turntable, life got better, relationships lasted forever and your old dog was ressurected.

Well now if you did that with today's country music, that old Chevy pickup suddenly becomes a sparklin' Chevy Silverado and that worn tattered photo of your main squeeze becomes a Magazine glossy piece of artwork superglued to your dashboard instead of flying out the window.

Yep I'm feeling a bit o' depression listening to this kinda music but then again after listening to nothing but Hawaiian Style and Reggae for eternity, it can be a bit refreshing albeit I think I'll feel like driving my Chevy BMW off some cliff like Thelma and Louise if I listen to this format all day.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: KKOA 107.7 Big Island Country

I can hear that ol' hound dog howlin' as the rifle's rattlin' in the rack of my ol' busted ford '74 pick up-- kicking up the cane field dust... 'Cause my wife done left me for her hairdresser!

Man- that country music is de- pressin'! Don't listen too long, or you'll sogg up your shirt and start howlin' too!

This could be your excuse to finally buy an ipod! Although-- I'd kill for a classic rocker that ripped classics through the new stuff old rockers are puttin' out. The big Kahuna just doesn't quite do it for me- too mainstream.

I enjoyed your spin on the country mix... first fun thing I've read here in WEEKS! It's like everyone fell asleep!

This place has been way too quiet!

Comment

Oh yeah that old Ford 150 Step Side with the triple gun rack in the back and dat old hound dawg yowling in the bed. Air conditioning from the rust hole in the floorpan and that old 8-track bustin out a tune from Conway Twitty. Das Country livin'. The Stetson on the head and the Wrangler on the butt suckin' up on a twig o' wheat from the faaaarrm.

Been there doin that red neck thang when I was up in Adahooo! Joined the Sagebrush Shufflers doin the roundance cuz I was plain bored watching the tumbleweeds roll on by my front porch on Daniels Road on a cold autumn day.

Shucks when I came back ma friends said, "Craig what happened to you?" I said, "Whatch ya'll talkin' bout not nuthin' happen ta me! Jus been layin' back takin in the desert sunset's all I been doin! Whatcha mean I talk funny?"

Comment

Geez! It's overcast and raining some buckets here in Kea'au and I'm still listening to KKOA 107.7 Big Island Country. Man this is gettin mighty depressing!

Comment

I think 107.7 was a country station in the mid-90s, then became an R&B/hip hop station (107 Jams), then went off the air a few years ago. Mel would know the chronology, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
            I think 107.7 was a country station in the mid-90s, then became an R&B/hip hop station (107 Jams), then went off the air a few years ago. Mel would know the chronology, perhaps.
            When KKOA first went on the air in 1996 it was a country station. Stayed in that format for about a year or maybe even 2 before it went hip-hop. I have a dial list from 1996 at the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Archive site:

http://www.hawaiiradiotv.com/~archive/dialist-1196.txt
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks, mel. I'll check out the list.

Comment

Anyone know who is the owner of this station? Is it the same as KWXX?

Comment

Originally posted by Macka
                  Anyone know who is the owner of this station? Is it the same as KWXX?
                  Tom Troland / Skynet Hawaii LLC also owns KGBX FM and KIPA AM.

New West Broadcasting is the owner of KPUA, KWXX and KNWB FM.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Tom Troland / Skynet Hawaii LLC also owns KGBX FM and KIPA AM.

New West Broadcasting is the owner of KPUA, KWXX and KNWB FM.
                    New West also owns KAOY in Kona.

Comment

Working...
                    X