Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHON/KGMB/KHNL/KITV old caps/videos!

Hey guys,

I am a pretty big fan of TV in general, ...and definitely of Hawaii TV, and of Hawaii!!

I have spent a couple of months there over the years.

It has been far too long since I've been.

But I still remember the local TV stuff well, mainly cos I have a lot on tape!

The last time I was in Hawaii was 1996...
    At the time, Joe Moore's blue-world-map "Channel 2 News" was a huge #1, of course. But it wasn't all about the newly formed "FOX2".

KHON were still running Jeopardy! at 5pm, when I was there last. They had just announced a 5pm newscast with Ron Mizutani and Leslie. Are they still doin it?

At 5, it was all about "News 4 at 5"! Gary and Pam ROCKED! I still have a couple of newscasts on tape, as I do for all the stations.

They had just great chemistry.

KITV, in general, back then, was a very solid #2! What happened??!

KGMB was way back in 3rd. Way back! It was Tim Tindall and Jade Moon. I thought they were both good.

Sure, Jade was a bit too "central-casting" newsanchor, but they were good.

Their set was the only cityscape, back then.... just a nice Waikiki shot, and the brightest blue OTS backdrop! Very old-fashioned, even for 1996!

Kim was on weather, and their sports guy, some white guy Richardson or Robertson or something.. he was not so good. Chemistry was the most forced in town.

KHNL was good, with that SAME set (basically!). Dan Cooke, Rob K., Heidi Umbhau. Dan was awesome. Loved some of the banter. They were still thanking their viewers street by street in 96.

The newscast was like on drugs, though!

I also watched Hawaii TV in 1995, and I was sent DVDs from 2004.

It's all great. I'm always extremely impressed with the talent and the newscasts from Hawaii.

Standout stuff would be the old KHON theme, and open, from late-mid 90s... I dug the KITV set from 2004, but the theme was a bit on crack!

I rate most of the anchors! Gary, Pamela, Dan Cooke, Howard, Paula Akana, Shaun, ROBERT!, Tina Shelton (News 4 at 6 back then), Joe Moore, Leslie and Ron were good on the morning shows I saw, loved Paul Udell, Kathy Muneno was GMH host... the list goes on!

Does anyone have any old caps or videos? I'd love to see anything Hawaii TV related!

Re: KHON/KGMB/KHNL/KITV old caps/videos!

There are some clips available on YouTube:

KITV 4 News clips

KGMB 9 News clips

KHON News

Hawaii News 8 KHNL

Joe Moore on 24

Joe Moore on 24 Again
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel is being very humble.

You definitely need to check out www.hawaiiradiotv.com ... where the TV button will reveal Web links to the local TV stations.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

We've talked about old newscasts and newscasters before in the Hawaii TV Memories section, I have newscasts from 25 years ago and always looking for more stuff from that era.

KalihiBoy

Comment

hey guys!

Yeah, I've been visiting hawaiiradiotv.com basically since 1996!

..or, as it used to be, Mel's Hawaii TV and Radio Page (the exact name escapes me just right now).

And that youtube stuff.. yeah, checked all that out (before)! Joe Moore on 24... that's just classic.

and the other stuff.. notably some of the KITV clips.

Seems like a good-looking set they have.

But! ..Concerning old caps/vids (as we're in Memories section after all!), it would be awesome to see any caps or anything from the 90s, 80s, early 2000s.....

I would add mine if I could. I have lots of "stuff". My Hawaii tapes, I have no idea if I taped the newscasts on especially good nights, but the anchors were all brilliant. Just about every one of them! Dan, Heidi, Rob, Tina Shelton, Howard, Paula, Jade, Tim Tindall, Gary, Pamela, Leslie, Ron, Tiny, Sharie, Joe.... and the reporters too! I recall the morning anchor at KHNL (their first morning anchor, I believe... forget her name just for the moment... she was amusingly a little amateur,..... ANyway, gotta run!)

Comment

Lee Cataluna!

just remembered.

Lovely lady, but man, there were some funny screw-ups on the morning I watched.

Guy dropping his microphone, and Lee making a really funny face.

Also Lee messing her lines and again, the funny face and "Hey! It's early in the morning. Give me a break, OK?!"

Ahhh, I had never seen a program like it!

That kind of extremely extremely natural anchoring, I hadn't really seen, back then.

Comment

Working...
            X