Old Hawaii TV Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Hawaii TV Question

Was KHVH ever call letters for any tv stations in Hawaii by chance?

KalihiBoy

Re: Old Hawaii TV Question

Can anyone confirm KITV once was KHVH circa 1972?

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KITV

KITV is the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) television affiliate licensed to Honolulu, Hawaii. Based in Honolulu and broadcasting on channel 4, the station is currently owned by Hearst-Argyle Television and has satellite feeds on all the major Hawaiian Islands to rebroadcast programs outside of metropolitan Honolulu. Its main transmitter is located in Honolulu. It brands itself as KITV 4 Island Television. The station is also seen on Oceanic Cable channel 6 throughout most of the state, with the exception of the eastern half of Hawaii Island, where it is instead seen on channel 12.

[edit] History
      The station signed on the air in 1954 as KULA-TV, and changed its calls to KHVH by 1960.

One of KITV's previous owners was Kaiser Broadcasting, which owned the station from 1958 to 1964; Kaiser sold the station in December 1964, to help fund its new chain of independent stations on the mainland.

KITV adopted its current calls in the 1970s to reflect its service of broadcasting to the Hawaiian Islands.

The station has been an ABC affiliate since its sign-on. However, rumors circulated in 1995 that it would join NBC when KHON (which had been Hawaii's NBC affiliate for 43 years (1953-1996) ) decided to join Fox during the "Big Network Switch" of 1994-96. The rumors were mostly due to financial problems involving KITV's owners (Tak Communications) at the time. In the end, KITV stayed with ABC (after Argyle bought the station) and NBC instead signed with KHNL as its new affiliate in 1996.

When Argyle merged with Hearst in 1997, KITV and its satellites became part of the newly-formed TV station group.

KITV also has an affiliation with CNN, which used KITV's live broadband stream to report on a 6.6 earthquake that struck off the northwestern coast of Hawaii County on October 15, 2006. Since KITV was the only station in Hawaii to remain on the air during the earthquake, they also attracted a flood of phone calls and e-mails from people around the world trying to find out if their loved ones were alright. The live stream also attracted the attention of The Daily Show the following day (October 16), thanks in part to a KITV staffer mentioning off-camera that the stations' bathrooms were still operational while the news anchors were still on the air. That clip can be seen on KITV's website.

I had nothing to do tonight! From Oregon...snowing now.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Where in Oregon, I used to live in Florence on the Oregon Coast, it snowed when I first moved there in 1997, first snowfall in 25 years at that time.

Thanks for the info, last night I was viewing a radio/tv simulcast from 1972 when the station was still evidentily KHVH and they never said it was ABC and such.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Springfield/ Eugene area. Florence is supposed to get snow tonight for the first time in years as well! I love seeing the beach with snow. It's so weird and cool!

Comment

KHVH Channel 4 also for a time had a radio station KHVH under the same ownership (Kaiser, then Laurence S. "Bob" Berger.

Berger brought in a helicopter and Hollywood pilot Jim Hicklin for traffic reports and TV news coverage (flying out of the old helipad near the Ala Wai/`Ilikai) and then converted the format from Hawaiian music (Lucky Luck in the morning) to news and pop music. We started with three hours of news in the morning under the "Information Central" brand.

Many listeners upset when Berger took Hawaiian music off the air ON MAY 1ST - MAY DAY/LEI DAY - 1965.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
              KHVH Channel 4 also for a time had a radio station KHVH under the same ownership (Kaiser, then Laurence S. "Bob" Berger.

Berger brought in a helicopter and Hollywood pilot Jim Hicklin for traffic reports and TV news coverage (flying out of the old helipad near the Ala Wai/`Ilikai) and then converted the format from Hawaiian music (Lucky Luck in the morning) to news and pop music. We started with three hours of news in the morning under the "Information Central" brand.

Many listeners upset when Berger took Hawaiian music off the air ON MAY 1ST - MAY DAY/LEI DAY - 1965.
              So that's why my first google took me to Hawaiian Radio!!! Thanks for the info. I was curious, but then got distracted byt the snow. hehe

Comment

More trivia - if I recall correctly, the KHVH was for "Kaiser Hawaiian Village Hotel" which Henry J. Kaiser also owned at the time and the radio station was up on one of the top floors with the tower on top of the hotel. Uncle Tom and Whodaguy brought Elvis in for a concert at one point and caused a near riot in the hotel lobby.

(Sorry, this is more radio than TV.)

Comment

Do these guys ring a bell to you:

Don Rockwell and Dick Cook they were the broadcasters for the KHVH radio/tv simulcast when Nixon visited the islands on a short stopover on the way to China. Pat Nixon, Henry Kissinger and William F. Buckley came along for the trip. I saw Hiram Fong and his wife, Governor Burns and Mayor Fasi with his wife and young daughter looked about 5 years old at the time. This was at Kaneohe Marine Base in Febryary 1972.

They have a Movie Museum in Kaimuki, people keep telling me I ought to open up a TV Museum for the same purpose.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    [...]They have a Movie Museum in Kaimuki, people keep telling me I ought to open up a TV Museum for the same purpose.[...]
                    Maybe talk with the owner, Dwight, and see if there are some blocks of time available to rent MM and showcase your TV Museum? Just letting my fingertips do the thinking...

Comment

Working...
                    X